1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Jar Jar is a key to all of this

IBTL and Torn n Frayed like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

7/10
    Feels a little like that woman I used to bone but also buy weed from.

Shes returned except now she has 4 kids and lots more neck tattoos.

But yeah smell my fingers..I will be back

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Spoiler...

Watched it again. When Finn was getting the blanket at the end, you see the ancient texts. Someone must've stolen it. Must be why Yoda said she would know...

I think this is clearly for a new generation of fans. Disney wants to milk this franchise every other year rather than every other decade, which is why they did Luke the way they did it.

It's too bad but I can imagine youngsters enjoying this more than if I was a big sw fanboy.

And if it's for the kids, then I'd rather them be exposed to issues a little more deeper with the times than escapist ideals the 70s that was never really there in the first place. Much like how the prequels touched upon the war that happened around the time with its heavy handed symbolism, the point is that the people are the resistance.

The complaints are all legit, but other than the pacing, I still don't hate the movie. I'd rank it above TFA for actually trying to be a standalone movie, but it's not ESB, and for that reason people will be split on it.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Wow lots of negative reviews I really really enjoyed it. So many scenes were intense and unexpected.

Spoilers:

Throne room scene
    Luke’s battle scene reveal
    Light speed suicide
    Leia blown out to space

That was really enjoyable to me at least. Yeah the romance was bad, Yoda was awkward, leia poppins etc. but overall I liked this much better than TFA.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Dude leia is superman

tinman and Jontro like this.
  7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Yeah, as much as I loved the movie, I do completely agree with you guys, there is no excuse for that ONE scene. It just seemed completely ridiculous and out of place. A true "WTF, seriously?" moment.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I saw this on Thursday night and Saturday afternoon, and I loved this movie.

It's definitely a divisive film, because it doesn't spoon feed anything to you, and also does not follow the same beats from the other 7 saga films.

It is not a perfect film, but there were only a few things that were "meh" to me.

The amount of foreshadowing in this film is insane, look closely next time you see it.

I am 25 years old and grew up watching the 1995 VHS versions of the OT films on repeat.

Here is how I would rank all 9 films:

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. The Last Jedi
    4. A New Hope
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Rogue One
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. Attack of the Clones

tinman and Jontro like this.
  9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I enjoyed it.....but I liked TFA more....but this was definitely worth the price of admission....I was entertained.

But left feeling partially unsatisfied...the plot holes....Supreme Leader...That random purple haired lady....

#429 Uprising, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would slightly change it

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Last Jedi
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Return of the Jedi
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. The Phantom Menace

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

our list is almost identical. return of the jedi was badass. though i would rank a new hope lower.

i think the last jedi is a damn fun movie... leaking with plot holes and continuity issues... but who cares, leia doe!

i'm going to assume that people in this thread have seen it and the ones that haven't aren't reading... so basically leia and purple hair lady had no plan. they thought the first order would not see little pods running away while they are basically right behind you looking straight at your ship. also, poe is stupid, and he should die. although i enjoyed his opening scene, that was badass.

and i think people are thinking too much on rose/fin's love interest. she just gave fin a little peck at the end before going into coma.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That scene hurt me the most. That level of gross workplace sexual assault has no place on the big screen in 2017. If she wakes from her coma, she should be instantly arrested.

#FinnToo

BiGGieStuFF and Jontro like this.
  13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Can we forego the spoiler tags now? Almost 5 days out in theaters.

Jontro likes this.
  14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'm 92% with those comments. I made my post without seeing a single word of yours and there's similar observations. I like blind movie viewings and blind postings for that same reason, to see consistencies without external influence.

Spoilered for LENGTH
    This movie aint even WORTH spoilering honestly lol. I am VERY FORGIVING of both populist-sense movies and director creative risk taking movies. This movie seemed to be too ambitious at too many things, but not hitting enough on ANY ONE thing.

(1) This SW trilogy / TLJ has its MAIN core: REY, KYLO, SKYWALKER, SNOKE. THAT is THE focus.

Even the great Leia is just cherry on top of that. DELIVER on those characters, give them as much BACKGROUND and RELEVANCE as possible. Make everyone ELSE only key supporting players, cut off 1/3 their screen time.

(2) Instead we get too much of side plots and side characters. Not enough explanation or depth into the MAIN core. Too many appetizers not enough main entry work. Saying that things should remain a "mystery" to me is an admittance of LAZINESS in character development and story telling. Mystery is a lame ass excuse

(3) On main characters again... have them DO SOMETHING to show off their MIGHT. I mean, if you're gonna rip off themes from the Marvel and DC movies, at least acknowledge that the COMICS main guys dont keep their powers "reserved" for TOO long. You're gonna know what makes Thor, why Batman is Batman, etc ... Its not them just walking around all brooding and telling snarky jokes like in TLJ

(4) I actually like the Holdo and Rose characters. I dont mind statement on class dynamics. But yet again, yes agree don't put 20 minutes into THAT and NOTHING on Snoke the most powerfully wicked manipulative "force" in the GALAXY. Rose and class dynamics is NOT INTEGRAL to the main story. If you even put 2 MORE MINUTES into Snoke background, or put 2 more minutes into Kylo being an unhinged freak, then you're actually HELPING the actual story. And you still have 16 minutes left to ride animals and play the slot machines. Instead its some keepaway game from the fans so its no doing "fan service". Wrong, its neglecting the story line

(5) Look Star Wars and Disney are bout selling MERCHANDISE tie-ins and toys. It seems too common sense to me ... You get people to buy those action figures when they have FAMILIARITY with those characters ... And you do that by giving them a FULLER STORY. Why would anyone buy a Snoke figure? At least Darth Maul got some badassery in before his exit. What did Snoke do besides run his mouth and let his "stupid" pupil fool him? And was Kylo THAT PISSED at Snook that he'd do a mutiny on him?

I'm talking about Snoke so much and I dont even care for him that much, its just the STORY needs it, not ME. Overall just not enough meat & potatoes work, trying to get too hipster too soon going all organic

#434 Shroopy2, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    J-Mac and MadMax like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we just stick Donnie Yen and Mads Mikkelsen in every Star Wars movie, while we are bringing back Han Solo and deleting Kylo Douche-cheese?

Also, hey here is an idea, let's go hire a GOOD WRITER and a GOOD DIRECTOR and grab the BEST ACTORS with all this damn Disney money.

Disney has become to movies what EA is to video games. Kudos to Blade Runner 2049 for trying.

Deckard and J Sizzle like this.
  16. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

My spoiler thoughts:

Things I LOVED:
    • Rey’s parents being nobody. It expands the universe and allows anyone to be able to use the Force
    • Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley are phenomenal actors and make me love Kylo and Rey’s relationship
    • Everything on Ach-to
    • Crait battle
    • The throne room scene
    • Holdo sacrificing herself using light speed
    • Yoda!
    • The bombing sequence at the beginning
    Things that could have been better:
    • Leia’s Force sequence
    • Finn and Rose subplot
    Things I hated:
    • Maz Kanata’s cameo
    • The first interaction between Poe and Hux, the humor fell flat

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Keep in mind that took place in the vacuum of deep space where there is no gravity. Impossible.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I do NOT buy the reason of Transition-To Next-Generation for the shortcomings of this movie. Thats a really lame excuse from Disney or Rian Johnson. Why, because everything can co-exist EASILY. Star Wars having some identity crisis has been way overstated.

We're forgetting part the excitement of Disney's acquistion is they would give the story its PROPER treatment and smooth the rough edges. They literally created not a scene - an ENTIRE MOVIE ... based on covering a simple plot hole. They were Good Guy Disney on that one. Now on TLJ they neglect to toss in just 12 extra lines that coulda added SIGNIFICANT meaning?

Just do the main characters the justice they deserve, for the YOUNG people too. Don't have to stroke the fans, just give them a handshake for following the franchise so long through its ups and downs. Dont have characters FADING down the stretch by being things thats OUT of their character, without sufficient explanation for why. NONE of the FUTURE GENERATION SUFFERS by doing any that. Old Uncle Luke in the picture does NOT DETRACT from anything.

What they've done to SW folklore and the Skywalkers, is kinda SIMILAR to the 80s Transformers movie. They way darkened the tone and killed off key characters to transition into a new line of characters (to sell more toys). The movie was actually solid, but it PUSHED AWAY the fans so bad that they had to resurrect dead characters again. Do that kind of rough transition to the biggest sci-fantasy franchise of all time, and there's gonna be big time resentment.

RudyTBag likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I found this scene absolutely cringeworthy.

Deckard, Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

@MadMax agree with a lot of what you said. I liked it enough to be satisfied walking out of the theater, but it had far too many problems. Much more than Force Awakens. Can’t say I’m excited that Rian Johnson is helming two more films after this.