1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Intial reaction, overall disappointed.

2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Just got back from seeing it. Man, I thought I'd be in the minority in thinking it was a bit of a letdown. You really feel every minute of the 2.5 hour run time. And then there are characters and plots that are completely unnecessary to the story. Bummer.

Jontro likes this.
  3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

At times it felt like I was watching Spaceballs.

B-Bob, Snow Villiers, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

luke was surprisingly good. and rylo ken is a very tense actor.

sidenote, i wish c3p0 would just get melted already and his metal parts melted and repurposed.

btw the reveal on who rey and snoke were... mind blasting.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Cant wait!

B-Bob likes this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

jeez, how much did critics get paid off?

[​IMG]

B-Bob and RudyTBag like this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing as how the audience LOVED The Force Awakens when it came out, I am actually more excited to see this now that the audience is saying things like "too long". I hope it is radically different than the last cardboard cutout.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

The first hour was a major letdown. Everything seemed off - the dialogue, the music, even the cinematography. When they weren't in a space scene, I found it boring and tedious. But the last hour may be among the best of any SW film. In my personal rankings, I would slot this behind The Force Awakens, maybe on par with ROTJ, well behind ANH & ESB.

I thought Hamill was by far the worst part of the movie. I'm not sure if it was his acting or Luke's plot line ... probably a bit of both.

BigM and Jontro like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's totally different. it's lighter in tone and more action. at times i felt like they dumbed it down a little, as opposed to the "adult" feel of tfa. but then again, star wars originally was catered to children, right?

they keep you guessing a lot and the climax, i thought, was great. however the ending felt kind of flat and meh. doesn't really set up well for the third installment.

also i thought they might have a post-credit scene, since i'm so used to marvel. but they only had a nice text of a salute to princess leia.

RudyTBag likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think this one is way ahead of TFA.. behind ROTJ (my fav). one thing i did notice tho, was the rough transitions between scenes, because i noticed almost every transition... like they're trying to get cute with it.

like for example (this is a made up example) after rylo ken leaves a group of rebels dead, the leia arrives and in horror asks "who did this??" and immediately the scene transitions into a rylo ken scene where he's drinking tea.

what? why? i agree most of the luke island scenes with rey were borefests, but luke made it up in his later scene.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Saw it. Loved it. I thought the first 45 minutes or so was a little clunky and some of the casting was kind of poor (Laura Dern needs to stick to dinosaurs and stay out of space). But once it got going I absolutely loved it, and the humor was spot on as well, even though at times it didn't feel "Star Warssy".

The unexpected Snoke exit and reveal that Rey's parents were of no importance were both masterfully handled.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

the writers really trolled us with snoke's true identity. i really do wonder who he was and how he got into power. he seemed more powerful than sidious, but got offed too easily because he lost concentration as seeing ray on her knees gave him a massive chubs.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Ouch. One of the key reasons I was wanting to see it is to see how that performance would be. It doesn't read like he pulled it off.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Would you blame him? She looks a little more filled out than in the last film, maybe from working out for the role. It's not as if I was uncomfortably crossing my legs while seated next to my wife, but, you know, still.......

Anyway, I wasn't down with the Luke storyline until the ending. Laura Dern was wasted casting. I like Benicio "Not Antonio Banderas" del Toro but he felt shoehorned into the story. I did like the surprises, the "brush-off" (not a spoiler if I'm not specific, but if you've seen the film....), and the film wrapped up with some awesome action.

Again, massive sadness to see Carrie Fisher in her final turn as Leia. In TFA she was saddled with some bad lines ("exposition, Ben our son, exposition, he can be turned back, exposition, then when the valleys were rising from the primordial ooze exposition"..... She had more gravitas in "Last Jedi".

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oftentimes critics look at movies differently than the public, that's the reason why it's good to look at both scores.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

they REALLLLLYYY messed it up with princess leia in this one. what they did to her is probably the worst part of the movie for me.
    i mean... god mode leia? really? what was the purpose of that??? they didn't explain any of it in the movie... like none of the characters cared what they just saw. a dead human being being resuscitated by the force in space. then flew back like a friggin ghost.

killing her off would have been so much more meaningful. i was about to get the feels, when the camera closed in and by the 3rd second staring at the screen, you just know she was gonna blink and then turned evil.

i think this thread will be drawned by jontro posts if not enough brehs go and see this.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

this had one of the worst and best scenes of the saga

didn't like the shoehorned love story with Finn and too much slapstick humor in serious scenes

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO there were flaws in the movie for sure, but that's sort of to be expected. I still think it was better than anything George Lucas did after Empire so that continues Disney's win streak.

20. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

This was the worst Star Wars movie by far. Completely pointless 3 hours.

Snoke? Seriously that’s it?

Rey’s parents? Wtf?

I give it a 2/10

Jontro and Amir's Johnson like this.