1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Mission Impossible - Fallout

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, May 16, 2018.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Didn't see a thread for this entry. Movie looks pretty solid, full trailer released......

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is the whole soundtrack going to be Fall Out Boy ??!?!?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all Scientology people are weird.

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Looks good, I am surprised I did not see a trailer before today.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

if tom cruise was in the nba, he'd be wrecking till he's 40. goat hof.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

PED's bro.

Jontro likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Looks good. No more Jeremy Renner?

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Currently sitting at 97% on RT, with a 220:6 split. Wow, was not expecting it to be in the 90s at all, much less a ridiculous 97.

Anyone see this movie? Ghost Protocol (4) and Rogue Nation (5) both ended at 93%, which I thought was the pinnacle for the franchise. Tom Cruise does it again.

Caesar likes this.
  9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Damn, WB gonna have to pony up huge money to keep Cavill as Supes.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I was underwhelmed. The action was good, but the plot and twists were just tired.

I've seen all 6, and my rankings are:
    Ghost Protocol
    MI 2 - weak spots, but some scenes were stylistically amazing
    Rogue Nation
    MI 3
    Fallout
    MI 1 - the suck

I realize that this series juggles that sweet spot of serious action and ridiculousness that is in between 007 and Fast & Furious. Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation hit that balance perfectly, but while Fallout had strong scenes, it veered too much into Fast & Furious level absurdity. The first 3rd of the movie was also much better than the other parts.

On a side note, it's pretty amazing that Tom Cruise has been playing this role for 22 years.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

Well, I saw it today and IMHO think this is either my fav or 2nd fav in the series. The action scenes are tremendous and plentiful. Personally, whenever I go to a MI movie I switch off my "this isn't plausible" filter and realize its a movie. It makes it so much easier to enjoy although I grant this is much more difficult for some than others. Nevertheless, if you enjoy MI movies or action movies in general, it has my recommendation. Plot is average...twists are (won't spoil). The thing about MI movies is you can always expect avg plots with a twist...right? That's what makes it an MI movie!

Anyways, if I was to rank, it would go like this:

Fallout
    MI 3 (has my alltime fav action scene with the drone on the bridge)
    Ghost Protocol
    Rogue Nation
    MI 1
    MI 2 (by far the worst one)

Entropy and B-Bob like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I presume your rankings are in reverse order.... because its hard to take you seriously any other way.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Just have to agree to disagree.
    MI1 - this was 22 years ago, but I recall Cruise sending out spam emails hoping to find someone, which was a big turn off.
    MI2 - the driving scenes and jump scenes were fresh and Thandie Newton in her prime was amazing.
    MI3 - solid and beautiful scenery, the introduction of the wife and her role were solid, and Philip Seymour Hoffman put in a good performance.
    MI4 - The Burj scenes were great and the Reiner was a good addition
    MI5 - solid and clean and the end twist was very well done

I think the biggest problem I have with MI6 is that the plot was unnecessarily convoluted, and the story-telling techniques and twists aren't new. I feel like the only thing fresh and great was the execution of the strong action sequences.

14. Senator

Senator Member

Thatxs my issue with bond, mi, marvel. Ie Spectre. studios know what will get the most people in and dont develop original stories as a result. Expect 100s of millions in profit for each of the tentpoles and use test audiences instead of fresh storylines, why risk isolating people with something original?
    Action sequences are great but this is more than B movie, right? You know when the comic relief guy will interject with a little quip, when things will be "compromised" etc. All these Franchises lose value to me as a result, I wouldnt be able tell the later MI's apart and rank them like you did.

15. Buck Turgidson

I'm guessing there's a plot twist where the mission, in the end, was in fact possible the whole time?

GRENDEL and Killatron 2000 like this.
  16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It was surprisingly vanilla. Not bad, just bland. The whole "your government doesn't trust you" angle is getting old. The fight scene between Tom Cruise and Superman was fun, but it felt long. All in all, I would give this a 6/10. If it's on cable, don't hesitate to watch it. But, going all the way to the movies for it might not be worth it unless you're a diehard fan.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Did you feel like this was a rogue nation clone? I mean it even had the same freaking villain in it... well, sort of.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

be cool if ethan cruise meets james craig. usa and uk intelligence joins forces to fight thanos!

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Bond was probably snapped away by Thanos, which is why Hunt was able to come out with MI this year.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Jontro likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can't believe he's in his mid-50s and can still do this.

American version of Jackie Chan.

Hopefully Cruise saves all his "actionness" for MI:7, because Mummy was just bad.