1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] James Cameron's Terminator Judgement Day 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Link (I took a little bit of a creative license with the title, but you get the gist)

The original Sarah Connor is returning in a direct sequel to Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Linda Hamilton’s return will kick off a trilogy of new movies

James Cameron has been working on relaunching the Terminator franchise, and the original Sarah Connor will be returning in the first new film. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Cameron announced yesterday that series star Linda Hamilton would be reprising her role in the as-of-yet untitled film, alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger. The last time all three collaborators worked on a film in the franchise was some 26 years ago — in 1991’s Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Ever since that movie, a number of sequels and attempted reboots have rolled off the assembly line, but none of the efforts were as memorable as the two original films. The most recent entry, Terminator: Genisys, tried to reboot the franchise with an alt-timeline take that recast Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke in the Connor role. That film tanked at the box office, and plans for subsequent films were scrapped.

The return of Cameron has resulted in an entirely different game plan. According to the Reporter, the new movie will be a direct sequel to Judgement Day, ignoring all subsequent non-Cameron entries, and will kick off a trilogy of new films designed to transition the franchise from Hamilton and Schwarzenegger to a younger cast. Cameron and Deadpool’s Tim Miller, who will be directing the first sequel, assembled a writers room to break the story for the new trilogy. Some of those involved included The Sarah Connor Chronicles creator Josh Friedman, Dark Angel co-creator Charles Eglee, and prolific TV and film writer David S. Goyer. It’s the same kind of workshop approach that Cameron used for Avatar, which in that case resulted in a total of four planned sequels.

[​IMG]

During the Terminator announcement, Cameron reportedly touted the cultural importance of the Connor character returning, particularly in an older incarnation. "As meaningful as she was to gender and action stars everywhere back then, it’s going to make a huge statement to have that seasoned warrior that she’s become return," he’s quoted as saying. "There are 50-year-old, 60-year-old guys out there killing bad guys, but there isn’t an example of that for women.”

As my colleague Tasha Robinson noted in a recent conversation, that would seem to indicate that Cameron hasn’t been keeping up with Helen Mirren’s work in the Red franchise. But it’s also somewhat difficult to take his statements at face value given recent comments he’s made about Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman. Last month, Cameron was criticized for calling that film “a step backwards” for female heroes because Wonder Woman was portrayed as both powerful and attractive, something that has always been an intrinsic part of that character.

The comments about Connor’s return almost come off like the filmmaker trying to capitalize upon a cultural moment in which strong female heroes are being brought to the forefront. That said, given Cameron’s larger track record — he not only created Sarah Connor, but turned Sigourney Weaver’s Ellen Ripley into a gut-toting warrior in Aliens — there is definitely reason to celebrate Linda Hamilton’s return to the franchise in this way. And anything that erases the last three Terminator sequels from memory is more than welcome.

Chilly_Pete, Caesar and B-Bob like this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hopefully they do it right but I'm not holding my breathe after so many failed attempts.

justtxyank likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like it

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

T2 is probably my favorite movie.

TheRealist137 and Obito like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

James Cameron does not attach himself to s**t projects. If he just wanted money he would have made T3 back in the mid 90s.

T2 is my all time favorite film and its not close. I will be there opening day. Although Im certainly not without reservations about its potential quality.

#6 sealclubber1016, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    tmoney1101 and Obito like this.
  7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I am way more interested in this than I am in the 18 Avatar sequels he has planned. I didn't even really like the first Avatar all that much.

8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Is there a better sequel than T2? I think the only that may come close is The Godfather 2, maybe TDK is a distant 3rd.

9. Nero

Nero Member

Aliens. Also Cameron.

Speaking of sequels - does this mean he is all done with the Avatar sequels??

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So many wins in this reboot.

1. They are rebooting a direct sequel - W
    2. James Cameron - W
    3. Not McG - 5 W's

ghettocheeze, Caesar and tmoney1101 like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I doubt it, but one can dream. I actually really liked Avatar, but in the pantheon of Cameron movies it's at or near the bottom (which says more about Cameron than Avatar). It's just aggravated me that probably my favorite director ever hasn't made a traditional movie in 20 years because he's so wrapped up trying to build a CGI world with blue people.

My Cameron rankings FWIW

1.Terminator 2 (GOAT)
    2.Aliens (probably in my top 15)
    3.Terminator (top 50)
    4.True Lies
    5.Titanic (it was a really good movie, just overhyped)
    6.Avatar
    7.The Abyss (his weakest, and still damn good in it's own right)

eric.81 likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope it is titled "Terminator 3" just to take a fat **** on all these other sequel/prequels...

13. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

What a trailer. I miss these.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Oh yeah. As long as Cameron is attached, it's in safe hands.

15. Nero

Nero Member

As much as I loved T2 - and I loved T2 - to me there's no way it is higher on my list than Aliens.

Aliens is still even today influencing how sci-fi works, from movies to video games to the genre of sci-fi itself. It was a foundational bedrock of a movie.

T2 was awesome, don't get me wrong. One of the awesomest ever. And it was foundational in its own way, specifically in dealing with the ambiguous nature of AI becoming 'self-aware' and suddenly being able to choose between right and wrong. Those themes have been explored numerous times since T2.

But Aliens is on a pedestal very very few movies will ever attain.

justtxyank and Killatron 2000 like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, I'm out. Walking away. Forever sullied. Cameron can't save it. No coming back.

Amiga likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe he can have the Terminator show up on Pandora.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Terminator: RED

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

SPOILER: Screen tests of Hamilton. She has really let herself go but she has some cool new weapons....

[​IMG]

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The irony of all this is Skynet has now impacted reality. They are going back in the "Terminator" timeline to ignore everything after 2 and re-do the timeline. We have just become victims of Skynet my friends. This is also the first time I can recall "them" asking us to ignore so many films and just interject a new film in there because it suits their need to make money. I hope this doesn't start trending in film because they are out of new ideas and are re-hashing everything to death creating "alternate sequels" in the process. I know the new "Stark Trek" films kind of reinvented that timeline but they are not ignoring films in the older, other Star Trek timeline (imagine the Trekkie uproar if that happened...lol). That timeline still happened. In other words, this is a scam and a sham...a scam sham. Thanks, Skynet! :( ;)