1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Hacksaw Ridge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockbox, Jul 31, 2016.

1. nono

nono Member

The individual is amazing no doubt. The movie is really not. Time passes by too quickly in saving 75 men and I don't feel like someone who didn't know about him would get a real sense of what he did. I liked the movie though. Just disagree with people saying it's the best movie of the year or something. Maybe it's Andrew Garfield the problem ? He doesn't really have that amazing of a screen presence.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I really think it has a legitimate chance to win an oscar for best picture.

3. nono

nono Member

Really ? That would be a shame. I feel that people are confusing their pride in Desmond and their pride in America for how good the film really is. Maybe if I see it another time I'll warm up to it more. A miserable women on the row down from me was on her cell phone the entire movie which really annoyed me.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yes really. I still feel as though it as a legitimately well made movie, regardless of the differences of the true story. A movie is made best picture for almost everything aside from how accurately detailed it gets to the real story. I would honestly be shocked if it isn't at least nominated for best picture. That's just me though.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not at all. I despised the portrayal of the Japanese and laughed hysterically at the framing of the battle.

Still, this was an incredible movie. I wonder if your expectation of the protagonist is different because you're used to seeing a charismatic, masculine, orthodox figure in that position? I was skeptical at first, but after watching it realized Gibson took a HUGE risk in casting for accuracy, and I think he hit a home run with that. From what I've read, Doss was a very unimpressive personality, quirky character, and you could kind of see that in the end of the movie.

I thought the story with the girl could have been executed better. The movie didn't really get me into caring about what happens with them, or his brother or father.

I give it a 9.5/10.

6. conquistador#11

nice bounce back performance from the blue balls of the heart to this for vince vaughn. Really enjoyed his character as I did the movie but it just felt like there was more to be told and a little rushed.

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I felt like from the time he started pulling bodies to the end of the movie, it felt rushed. i get what youre saying in time going too quickly.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Finally saw this movie. It was not good. It was over the top sappy and hit you over the head so hard I got a concussion watching it. Not on the amazing stuff he did but that everyone doubted him, thought he was a coward, etc, and he showed them. I also found it ironic that a movie about a conscientious objector reveled so much in violence and gore. It was an artistic choice no doubt intended to maximize the glory heaped on Doss for courage amidst the carnage, but it mostly felt gratuitous. It certainly didn't do much to lament the need for war and the loss of life despite the subject.

GRENDEL likes this.
  10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I caught it on HBO no for the first time a couple weeks back. I thought it was ok, and I'd watch it again if it were on.

A top notch audio system really brings life to the battle scenes. I had recently purchased the setup mentioned in the home audio thread and watching this movie helped me get over some of my buyers remorse.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I tend to agree, we watched it this weekend, it veered multiple times into Tropic Thunder territory.....

[​IMG]

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weird, I thought it was filmed and acted in masterfully, and that's coming from a Garfield hater. The script and dialogue was top notch. The Father was disgustingly good. It hit the heartstrings more than any other movie this year for me. But then again, I served and that is truly the target audience for Mel.

9.5/10 and >>> Dunkirk.
    Mel >>> Nolan