1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] "Ghostbusters" Reboot - All female cast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dback816, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

No, female casting is the problem in this type of movie.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Please mansplain to me why this is bad

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Actually already been done. Unsuccessfully.

[​IMG]

4. what

what Member

I don't know why you all are complaining. Every last one of you are going to watch it. Seems like you could be chatting up a female in the time you are spending on this thread. Oh right, you don't like women.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Worst movie of all time. Melissa McCarthy is overweight and annoying - we get it already, bro.

1 person likes this.
  6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Did women even like Ghostbusters? Why wreck an iconic man's movie like Ghostbusters with an all female cast? Might as well do an all female Caddyshack.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think it's just movies. Everything is "throwback" or "retro".

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

No, I don't like stunt-casting of less talented performers in unnecessary and too-long-delayed "reboots" of classic films that have no chance of recapturing the acting chemistry and sharp wit of the original.

9. body slam

body slam Member

I'd rather see Ghostbusters 3 than a reboot

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I honestly expected this stuff to happen. Bridesmaids made a killing, and Melissa McCarthy has become box office gold whether men like her or not.

But why ruin Ghostbusters, why not just make another Judd Apatow movie with chicks. I would have wanted to see a Ghostbusters the next generation type movie, but I have no interest in this whatsoever.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Eh, fine. Whatever.

12. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

One of the more common marketing strategies to gain market share is to take advantage of ones nostalgia and fond childhood memories.

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

What's next, a black James Bond???

14. VanityHalfBlack

I also hate the argument of just because you find no interest in an all female cast of Ghostbusters, the public of opinion thinks you're against Feminism. Me personally, it's the fact that it was a movie back in the 80s, can we just move on from that? LEAVE THE 80s ALONE!!!!!

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Terrible terrible idea. Please stop with these remakes/reboots. This type of news almost makes me glad I do not have time anymore to watch a lot of movies.

I really wonder if there is any creativity left in hollywood.

16. Nero

Nero Member

This smells like 'stunt' to me.

Now I love me some Ghostbusters. I really do. I loved the first one mostly. The second one was meh, although Peter MacNicol really broke out in that one and stole the whole thing.

However.. Ghostbusters is not really one of those movies which has aged very well. I have never been a Rick Moranis fan, and I pretty much want to fast-forward through the bits he is in.. the 'demon dogs' SFX were pretty bad even at the time. Sigourney Weaver was.. I dunno... maybe it's all the predatory hardasses she has played over the years, but I find it hard to watch her in her role, she just didn't seem to fit with everything else in the movie.

Really, the strength of the movie was its four main leads, sketch comedy vets Murray, Aykroyd and Ramis, with Ernie Hudson playing a great straight-man mixed in with them. There was a really great 'villain' in William Atherton, and lots of fun with the concept of the mysterious rapidly-growing number of ghosts all leading up to a potentially world-ending clash with the super big baddie... of.. umm.. What WAS that chick anyway? Sort of an 80's disco queen leftover from the finale of Xanadu? I dunno, but it really plays lame now.

And because it WAS still a comedy, they had to keep things 'light', which did make for an awesome ending with the giant marshmallow man..

SO I don't know.. of all the 80's hits, Ghostbusters could probably actually USE a reboot, if it is done right. But it would depend as much on the chemistry of the new cast as the original did. I have no idea of these new female cast members can come anywhere close to the chemistry of the original.

And who will be playing what roles?

I don't watch SNL, but I think I can guess who would be playing Ernie Hudson's role.. and my guess is McCarthy would be playing Bill Murray's role. So who would Wiig be playing? Egon or Spengler? I suspect it would be Egon, she can pull off that deadpan delivery pretty well. Which would leave the other chick playing Aykroyd's role, which is as pivotal as anyone.

We'll see.. I would like for it to be a bit more serious in tone, which would in turn help to make the comedic bits more effective. We saw how poorly such a thing would play if kept mostly for laughs, when Duchovny's 'Evolution' came out.. that movie tried to use the original Ghosbusters comedic monster movie plan, and it really didn't work very well, imho.

Will the new one manage to do well? I sure ain't bettin' the house on it..

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So this will basically be Bridesmaids II.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And will probably be hilarious.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If you have to do it then do it Hollywood. Blah

20. VanityHalfBlack

They can have the reboot but they will never take the animated series from me. Oh and how will they handle Slimer, my favorite character from Ghostbusters:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bPiZptATdGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>