1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Doctor Strange

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Saw it this morning. Great movie, stood on it's own much more than most Marvel movies. Great pacing, great casting.

If I had to sum it up in one word it would be 'Cool'.

It was a hit at the Box Office as well (for November):

'Doctor Strange' Ignites Box Office with $84.9 Million Opening

by Brad Brevet

November 6, 2016

The domestic box office got a jolt in a very big way as Disney and Marvel's Doctor Strange led the weekend with an estimated $84.9 million followed by strong performances by both Fox and DreamWorks Animation's Trolls and Lionsgate's Hacksaw Ridge. Beyond just the wide releases, the continued expansion of A24's Moonlight also contributed to a top twelve that was up a whopping 133.6% compared to last weekend, generating over $182 million collectively and a weekend that was up 20.4% compared to last year.

Finishing atop the weekend box office, Disney and Marvel's Doctor Strange delivered as expected, with an estimated $84.9 million from 3,882 theaters. This is the tenth largest opening for a Marvel movie finishing just behind Thor: The Dark World, the only other film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to open in November.

Compared to over single-character intros in the MCU, Doctor Strange dramatically outperformed Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor, which opened with $65 million and $66 million respectively, last year's release of Ant-Man, which debuted with $57 million, and The Incredible Hulk, which opened with $55.4 million in June 2008. Only Iron Man, with $98.6 million ($102.1m including previews) back in Summer 2010, had a larger opening.

From here, should Strange finish with a 2.41 multiplier, as did Thor: The Dark World, you'd be looking at a domestic run around $205 million. However, should it perform as Ant-Man did, finishing with a 3.15 multiplier (the third best ever for an MCU film), Strange would find itself grossing nearly $270 million domestically. It's unlikely it will perform quite that well, likely finishing around $200-210 million thanks to strong critical reviews coupled with an "A" CinemaScore from opening day audiences.

Internationally, Doctor Strange delivered an estimated $118.7 million from 53 territories, bringing the film's international cume to $240.4 million for a global cume of $325.4 million after 13 days. Of the film's global box office, $24.2 million was generated from IMAX showings from 1,001 screens in 66 markets, and 45% of which came from 3D showings.

Among the film's overseas highlights this weekend, Strange opened in China with an estimated $44.3 million, making it Disney's third highest 3-day opening weekend in China for an MCU film, behind only Avengers: Age of Ultron and Captain America: Civil War. In Brazil Strange opened with an estimated $7.9 million in its first five days and in Russia the film went wide after playing in IMAX only last weekend and delivered an estimated $12.4 million, for a cume of $15.4 million. Overall, looking at the same suite of markets, Doctor Strange is showing an overall hold of -38%, ahead of Captain America: Civil War (-41%), Ant-Man (-42%), Guardians of the Galaxy (-44%) and Thor: Dark World (-46%).

Before moving on, it should also be noted that with Doctor Strange's impressive performance so far, Walt Disney Studios has surpassed the $6 billion mark at the global box office for the first time ever.

713 likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Was going to see the movie today, but a friend bailed. And now I'm gonna have to be that guy that sees the movie alone. :oops:

Haven't seen anyone talk about any post-credits scenes here, though - unless they were spoiler tagged. Without spoiling: how many post-credits scenes, and how deliciously juicy are they?

3. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

1 mid credit scene(pretty cool scene) and 1 post credit scene (meh). Both set up future storylines...

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I missed the post credit. Mid was funny. But since I don't care much for that particular character I didn't care too much.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fairly important scene, IMO- sets up a villain and the sequel. Find it online.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not going to tell you what you should or should not like. That is personal and subjective to say the least. I personally loved the movie. My favorite scenes were probably when he shamed the doctor at the beginning of the movie, opening portals and sticking his arm through just far enough to grab a book without getting caught by Wong, the difference in Wong's attitude toward using the time spell vs Mordo's attitude towards the same and then getting Dormammu caught in a time loop.

The entertainment value to me was very high in this film and I grade it 8 or 9 out of 10. I am looking forward to the next one.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

so i saw it a third time because i had 3 hours to burn with nothing to do. it was enjoyable the third time around, tho there was a big drop off from the first 2 times that i saw. i wished they had more scenes of dr. strange learning the arts. i also would have loved seeing the fight scene in new york use more artifacts.

yup, same sentiment here. i thought it was a coincidence, didn't know who the composer was.

i think the mid post-credit scene was huge! i don't know why nobody is talking about it.
    it basically says that dr. strange will be in the next thor! along with the hulk. sheer awesomeness!

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I laughed really hard at the Wifi password joke even though it probably didn't belong in there, but it was so funny.

Jontro likes this.
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Saw it last night and I really enjoyed it aside from the obvious miscasting of the Ancient One. While Cumberbatch really personified Stephen Strange's arrogant, self-righteous personality, Swinton's portrayal of the Ancient One was ho-hum, flat and lacked authority. It was a very generic ho-hum portrayal. The entire character was badly mishandled. I was really looking at how much the movie differed from the comic and for the most part, those changes were OK although the Dormammu story line was somewhat smushed into Strange's origin story. In the comics, it's Mordo who's the antagonist (he's senior apprentice to the Ancient One and is secretly plotting to usurp him). Unfortunately, I did find the Real 3D to be very disappointing. It wasn't much better than one of those old View-Masters like I grew up with and was clearly added afterward. Not worth the additional cost IMO. All told, this was a really, really good effort and should be another winner for Marvel Studios.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This might be a top 5 Marvel boy for me. A-

Super formulaic, but it worked fine. Something about the way the story was told.... felt like a standard Pixar gameplan.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Enjoyed it. Solid story line and acting. It wasn't too dark, but it was dark enough. Had its funny moments. Definitely up there for a Marvel movie.

12. body slam

body slam Member

This is one time I left the theater with a headache. To much stuff moving around. Other than that it was good.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The only disappointing part for me was the "short" running time, about 2 hours. I wouldn't have minded another 15 or 20 minutes of Strange's training and maybe some more scenes and views of Nepal. But that's me: I don't have the smart-phone attention-span.

I didn't care much one way or the other about the Ancient One. The director was afraid he'd be reinforcing the Asian cliché thing, but he backed into the whitewashing problem instead. Probably should have gone with an Asian actor/actress and avoid "out-thinking yourself". It is Nepal, even though that doesn't mean no Caucasians have found their way there.

I did like the mid-credits tease of pairing Doctor Strange with another Marvel character in the near future.

Jontro likes this.
  14. hvic

hvic Member

great acting by Benedict and some parts were actually funny. I would not mind having Rachel McAdams by my side

15. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I really liked the Marvel fanfare (intro) for GotG and Captain America 2, but they seem to have abandoned it. Don't like new one as much, but that will probably be tossed soon too.

Joe Joe likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Now this movie was good.McAdams made me miss working at the hospitals. This was a mix of inception and Kung fu panda.

hvic likes this.
  17. Dei

Dei Member

Finally watched it. It was okay, just didn't leave a strong impression to me. Nothing wrong with Benedict Cumberbatch's acting just that it felt like he didn't get a lot of development. By the end of the film, it still feels like Dr. Strange hasn't really bought into the situation. Same lack of development for Mads Mikkelsen as the villain which is a shame since he's a great actor. And the locales seemed really constrained. Most of their fighting was done inside buildings which is an odd setting for a superhero film.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Strange is probably a middle tier Marvel movie for me. It does a lot of good things and is quite enjoyable but nothing about it is truly exceptional.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This was my reaction as well. To me, it says something when Mrs. B-Bob can be convinced to attend a Marvel movie and comes out totally pumped up, quoting lines and reciting key scenes and asking questions. "That was a GREAT date night!" (Alamo Drafthouse FTW). I had few expectations, loved the script, was consistently entertained, could quibble here and there, but would give it 9 out of 10 for a big budget entertainment piece. The writing was surprisingly good.

"Mr..."
    "Doctor..."
    "Mr. Doctor?"
    "It's Strange."
    "Is it? Who am I to judge."

Sorry, I just love crap like that. To me, the script and humor were 100x even Guardians of the Galaxy. The villain was unusually good, I thought. The big, big villain was a little silly, but it comes with the astral territory.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think this would be a good movie to watch on drugs.

Bobbythegreat likes this.