1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie]Batgirl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zeeshan2, Mar 30, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/batgirl-movie-joss-whedon-warner-bros-1202018544/

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The article mainly tells me there are many DC Comic films planned. So they better up their game. BvS was better than the critics allowed, but nothing so far has suggested that these second-tier characters can carry an entire movie.

WW and JL films will tell the tale.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'm basically just looking forward to see the how attractive the casting is gonna be. I don't hold the character sacred, but they screwed up her character in the Killing Joke animation. And since there's no Robin in the DC cinematic universe, and because of Affleck's influence, we're gonna see Batman motorboating Batgirl.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sounds like exactly the type of job Whedon would take.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

How is this character popular? There is absolutely nothing unique or fun about Batgirl.

6. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Because the Killing Joke is one of the best comics ever made. For all the boring lady heros in DC, Babara Gordon is not one of them.

She's amazing as Oracle too.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Nero

Nero Member

This may be the smartest move DC has done - not Batgirl per se - but the hiring of Whedon. Because there is no doubt that if this works decently, Whedon will replace Snyder as the guiding voice in the DC Universe.

I like Snyder ok as a creator of specific individual story-telling images, but creating an effective narrative in its entirety is not his strong suit. He would make a wonderful DP, but as the creative mind behind these things, he gets too bogged down in lingering minutia.

Whedon, whatever else you may think of him, knows how to create an entire narrative in a fun, satisfying and entertaining way, and that is what DC has been sorely lacking.

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I agree she's popular, but Killing Joke was a Joker story and she was a plot device. I guess her being victimized so badly in that book put her in the DC spotlight, but not really in a good way.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Great choice. Joss knows how to do strong female heroines.

11. 713

713 Member

This is like if Marvel decided to do Squirrel Girl in Phase 1...

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

People said the same thing about Ant Man and most people liked it. I mean, that's what people said about Thor when it was first announced.

The portrayal of Batgirl in Arkham Knight was pretty cool. I think everyone has the movie version of Batgirl in mind. I feel like Batman has the best villains of any comic book character so you have a lot to work with.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Original Batgirl not so bad.

[​IMG]

hvic likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

15. PhiSlammaJamma

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Saw something that said Lindsey Morgan may be in the role for batgirl. I emoji heart eyes so much love that chick.

hvic likes this.
  17. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

This is all about Joss. I think all the DC movies have been crap (save for Nolan's beautiful trilogy) but I love Joss Whedon and I love Barbara Gordon's character in the comics. This is a match made in heaven.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

And one of the worst movies.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm very much in the cult of Whedon. As long as he is allowed to direct and write the screenplay, this will be good.

Hopefully the DC universe around her has gained some kind of footing.

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

The ultimate betrayal! Good hire if it goes through.