1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Annihilation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Second one

Rocket River

2. Buck Turgidson

He wrote The Beach (novel), 28 Days Later, Sunshine before he wrote Ex Machina. I like that stuff so I'll trust him on this one.

Annoyingly, I have to drive to Austin to see this.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Its an amalgam of various films, a little difficult to discuss without spoiling it....

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Believe it drops on Netflix in a couple weeks too if you don't want to make the drive, but visually speaking, I would say you want to see this on the big screen.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Pretty sure it's going on Netflix overseas in a few weeks......standard theatrical run in the US......

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Word is 2 weeks later on Netflix.

GRENDEL likes this.
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Interesting movie. Not sure what the overall theme or message it was trying to convey for a sci-fi.

Mild spoilers
    Assimilation would've been a more apt title instead of Annihilation. Having the team all women meant nothing, thought that should've been incorporated somehow. The paramedic as a member seemed pointless among a team of scientists. If they needed a medic, they could've made her an army medic considering all of them except Natalie Portman appeared untrained soldiers.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOVED

GRENDEL and B-Bob like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The fauna and flora aspect of this is off the charts - felt similarly when I walked and saw Avatar the first time

GRENDEL likes this.
  10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

My wife and I enjoyed this one. Really cool imagery throughout.

B-Bob and GRENDEL like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Saw this with dude friend tonight and thought it was really incredible. To me, that's really good sci-fi. Kept you thinking and pretty tense throughout.

The creepy factor and unease of it all is just a fantastic achievement. Cast just kills it.
    Director can do no wrong in my book at this point. Will just be giving him money whenever he brings something to the screen.

12. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Here is my take...

So probably a little late to this thread.... The movie is about cancer and self-destruction (which cancer could be construed as a version of self-destruction). I think the all women crew was because cancer hits women the hardest as breast cancer is one of the most common forms. The paramedic may have been there with the scientists because it shows cancer knows no socio-economic boundaries. The main character went into the shimmer (suicide mission) out of guilt for having an affair on her husband and affairs can be seen as a cancer on a relationship. In addition, her husband volunteered for the suicide mission because he knew she was having the affair and that was an honorable out for him as someone still in love with his wife. It also went on to describe how different people face cancer (some want to fight it, some want to confront it, some want to accept it).

In the end if you survive cancer you are a changed person and, even if it is in remission, it is always still there which is what I think they were trying to portray with that ending. It's got the sci-fi vibe that they are actual aliens who've taken over their hosts but you could say the same thing about cancer being an alien that invades and takes over and, in many cases, annihilates their hosts.

Some of this I got from reviews, some with talking about it with friends afterwards, some from just speculation. So while I thought the actual movie was just ok, the fact that it made me think about it in order to understand it makes it a bit better.

fba34 likes this.
  13. B-Bob

My take

I didn't think there had to be an overarching point. I loved that it kept raising its mental ante throughout the movie, or that's how it worked for me. That 3rd act, in the lighthouse, was really brave for film-making. I could see somepeople taking it as corny or overly thematic (for instance, the cancer theme is definitely there throughout, including the black, growing walls of the lighthouse basement; the duplicate Portman figure is basically like a cancer cell springing from the original organism and mimicking it uncontrollably, etc.)

By the way, I thought it was all women b/c they had tried so many expeditions with men. (shrug)

More than anything, I loved all the imaginative prismatic DNA stuff. Lots of great detail in the film on that level. And the idea that the characters are all coping with ongoing changes is definitely metaphoric for real life. In some ways, the shimmer was just magnifying and accelerating the reality that we're always changing and dying, even though our minds keep this handy illusion that we are stable individuals.

If I have complaints:
    • it was a little slow in the 2nd act. Even though I loved the creepy tone of that act.
    • the monsters were a tad silly, especially the mega-gator. LOL.
    • One phosphorous grenade ended the whole alien presence and shimmer? Okay I guess?

But in terms of achieving something truly different, unnerving, and original, I give this movie incredibly high marks. Might go see it again while it's on the big screen. By the way, this is Jennifer Jason Leigh's best work. Just a Marlon Brando type ass kicking.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Cool, i'm excited to see this when it hits Netflix.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's already on Netflix.

internationally

16. B-Bob

I'm glad I saw the 3rd act on the big screen TBH and that I took in the soundtrack in the theater as well. FWIW.

Sajan likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’d still give up a Rockets 3peat for one night with Natalie Portman.

She’s always been my numero uno celebrity.

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Just saw it, very, very good. Imagery was excellent, Natalie Portman and Oscar Isaac were phenomenal.

Need some clarication in regards to the ending..

Did the alien husband hug Portman because she wasn’t human anymore either? Hence him asking her if she was Lena and her not replying?

Sajan likes this.
  19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Im in love with Tessa Thompson now lol
    Saw this a couple weeks back and thought it was pretty good.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.