1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[movie]All Eyez on Me

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jul 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Gay Life to Thug Life ----- Gay-Thug Life

Tupac talked with his hands a lot.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

And which of these rappers are making waves in 2017? Just like the majority of country music has become formulaic over several decades, so has rap. I agree with what, that MOST rap today is not socially conscious, and often times so far in the opposite direction that you could almost call it socially detrimental (or just call it really ****ing stupid if you insist).

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So who saw this movie?

4. CallMeTheDream

Just saw it this morning. Personally I liked it but apparently a lot of people were bashing it on twitter. There were slow moments in the movie and I caught myself looking at my watch a couple times. It's definitely over 2 hours. The narrating was corny and got annoying

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Huh?
    Was the question or issue being discussed about which "socially conscious" musician in either genre is still making waves in 2017?
    If we want to generalize then I could say the same thing about country music and the lack of socially conscious popular musicians in the genre.
    Sure "MOST" rappers and their music today aren't socially conscious(specifically popular ones heard on the radio) but there are others out there not getting the radio airplay they deserve because most radio stations don't feel the listeners want to hear that stuff. Perhaps thats the same issue being felt in today's country music.

Regardless, my point remains that it'd be best not to generalize about the lack of socially conscious rap music getting out to the population and the majority of listeners but the same holds true for country music today. They're in the same boat.

DCkid likes this.
  6. DCkid

Sorry, more of a composite response to a bunch of posts in this thread that seemed to put rap on a pedestal as far as being "socially conscious," which I think is how the whole conversation began. Especially the post right after yours that mentioned country music being way past it's prime for having much meaningful to say...your post was evidence that rap (a much younger genre) has also rapidly gone through it's own devolvement. I think we're in semi-agreement.

#46 DCkid, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    ferrari77 and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Ahhh ok, i got you. Yeah definitely a bit of agreement about that

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I have a feeling all of these rap biopics trying to cash in on the success of Straight Outta Compton are going to be mediocre at best.

hvic, RasaqBoi and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The trailer was already looking suspect. I just didn't like the retro aggrandizing of Tupac as a revolutionary like some hip-hop Nelson Mandela. That should be a conclusion drawn by the audience at the end, not the setup premise at the beginning.

Tupac was an artist first and foremost. I desperately wanted this movie to be about his struggles, his demons, his bravado getting the best of him leading to his tragic death - a Shakespearean self-fulling prophecy.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. DCkid

Are there actually any others on the horizon? Hard to think of that many others that would be economically viable. A Beastie Boys biopic? Public Enemy? Wu-Tang Clan? Maybe just an ODB biopic...I'd probably see that.

EDIT: Found this http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Universal-Planning-Def-Jam-Biopic-Has-An-Awesome-Cast-Mind-83067.html. Have to admit a Def Jam biopic could be really good if done right. Jonah Hill as Rick Rubin...I'd probably pay to see that.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Listen to Kendrick Lamar and Kanye's lyrics actually have a lot of depths to them too....

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Patience, will watch it in time.

13. DCkid

Fixed. :)

But yes, I agree Kendrick Lamar is an exception.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

New slaves.... Wasn't that long ago was it?

15. VanityHalfBlack

So..... The movie any good?

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I'm about to go watch it in a few hours. Question is.... Can I take a 40 oz OE in the movie theatre? How else am I going to get the real feel...

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

[​IMG]

RasaqBoi likes this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give us a full review, apparently this thread has been derailed like a chris brown concert

ferrari77 likes this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lol. Just got out of the theatre.

Compared to Biggie / Compton movie. This doesn't compare. I was 12 when PAC died. So I became a bigger fan of him after.

I see why ppl are mad. Director sucks. The movie seemed very rushed. Goes through the scenes very quick. I can see them exaggerating parts to make it entertaining.

Was it a great movie? No.
    Did it suck that bad? No.
    I would rather wait for it to be online to watch it.

It didn't reveal his greatness. Kind of focused on controversy. Don't really get to know too much about PAC the person but more about the life around him. His mom. Cases. Etc. kept thinking the entire time they should make a 1 season Netflix show about him.

I think the 2pac fanatics will hate this more. Average fan might just enjoy certain moments and that makes ya feel good enough.

Feel free to ask me questions.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The movie was on par with Notorious
    but no where close to Straight Out of Compton

It was not a great movie
    It was not the most horrible movie either

The subject and the Music already got it to 6/10
    Just did not go much beyond that
    7/10 at best

Rocket River