1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Underrated Athletes ... Bags & Biggs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yao Wink, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/currentunderrated.html?partnersite=espn

Bagwell is No. 2 and Biggio is no. 3.

I don't get this guy's criteria. It seems some of the guys (R Francis, Bags, Biggio, Mashburn) are based on career stats while some players with one or two good seasons are listed (V Wells and Harpring.)

Who do you guys think are some of the most underrated players?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

2. Jeff Bagwell, Houston Astros
    Year after year, Bagwell puts up big numbers -- his worst season at the plate, his rookie year, he hit 15 homers and drove in 82, batting .294. He's had two 40 HR/30 SB years, displaying speed that few first basemen can boast. He's won a Gold Glove (in 1994) and an MVP Award. Bagwell is on his way to the Hall of Fame, one of the best first basemen of all time (Bill James has him at No. 4, just behind Mark McGwire and just ahead of Eddie Murray), and one of the greatest hitters of our era, despite playing his prime years in the pitcher-friendly Astrodome.

3. Craig Biggio, Houston Astros
    "Craig Biggio is the best player in major league baseball today." That's from The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, copyright 2001. James compares Biggio to Ken Griffey Jr. (back when Junior was the man), makes a good case that Biggio is better and adds, for good measure, that Biggio is "tremendously underrated." We agree with James, even if the comparison to Junior doesn't carry the same weight as it did a couple of years ago.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Most Underrated Houston P.R. rep of all time.

The B.B.S's own Madmax.

Seriously, even though I argued that Bagwell is a lock for first ballot Hall of Fame status YET, he definitly doesn't get the publicity he deserves. He gets credit from the "experts", just not the sports media in general. I think a lot of it has to do with playing for the Astros as well as he an Biggio's demeanor.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Is Bill James Craig Biggio's agent?

5. MadMax

so true!!! i'm like that for virtually anything Houston.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ron Francis is the most underrated athlete of any sport.

He boast good numbers for twenty years. He never gets mentioned in the breaths of Gretz, Lemiux, Messier, Yzermen.

I would put Bags as the Second Most Underrated Athlete.

It might be the Market he plays in.

If he played at Fenway Park as a BoSox, I bet he would already have 500 Plus Homeruns, and more noteriety because he plays in Boston.

Left Field is like 314, I think.

7. Beckman

Beckman Member

Jeff Bagwell kind of flies under the radar. Not living in Houston, I wouldn't have called him one of the greatest ever. Then I looked at his numbers, and he is a first ballot hall of famer.

Nationally, I think it is the postseason performance that hurts him. Not only his poor play, but his team. 2 sweeps and 2 4 game series. Couple that with the fact that he has 0 postseason extra base hits, and 2x as many k's as hits, and people just don't give him enough credit for the great things he has done.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

It seems that way for any Houston athlete...

Even when we won the NBA champs, there was little pub and respect nationally...

I agee with bags and Bigg...

9. vangundy

vangundy Member

Biggio was amongst the most overrated players during his heyday.

He took early vacations during the Astros' brief playoff "runs". Moreover, he's never seen a slider in the dirt that he did not like.

He was a very good player in his day, but never the best player in MLB. He wasn't even the best 2B in the MLB, Alomar was.

10. MadMax

Biggio has never, ever been overrated. Not even close.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I may be wrong, but I thought that came about more in the last couple years.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Biggio WAS great, I wish the Astros would have the Stones to bench him and play Lane out there in Center...someone with a better arm then that NOODLE that Biggio is dragging around these days.

DD

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Lane continues to be on the DL in New Orleans.

14. Blitz

Blitz Member

I was just wondering if the Astros extended Biggio's contract? isn't he in the last year of his contract?

15. DaDakota

Bobrek,

I know, I just think it is time for Biggio to move on....he is an average player on offense, and below average in center field....and below average as a leadoff hitter.

I admire his guts, but his production has fallen to a point that someone younger could be putting up similar numbers.

DD

16. DaDakota

They extended it when he agreed to move to center field...a move that I think will come back to haunt them...Matt Maloney style.

DD

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

From what I've heard Biggio's contract is going to be only around 2 million per year so it shouldn't hurt the astros too much. I would like to see the Astros move Biggio into more of a reserve roll next year possibly platooning in the OF and playing some backup duty at 2B. However, I think Biggio is the type of player that has too much pride to become a reseve so he would probably have a fit.

18. bobrek

I don't disagree, unfortunately they have no one who can step in and give the production he is giving (average as it may be).

He is an outstanding center fielder! :) He hasn't made an error all year. (just kidding, fielding percentage is the most overrated outfield stat there is).

The main thing the Astros need is a player who can provide excitement. I like the make up of their players. I like their professionalism and their work ethic, however I would love to see one guy who generates excitement on the bases.

19. bobrek

Incidentally, Biggio is making close to 10 million this year. He has a 3 million (plus 1.5 million in incentives) for 2004 and (at the Astros option) the same contract for 2005 OR a 1 million buyout.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think I posted this in another thread, but I couldn't even find it, so sorry if you already saw this,

but listening to last nights game while driving Milo Hamilton mentioned that Craig Biggio joined Molitor, Bonds, Mays, and another great, I'm sorry I can't remember, as the only players in history with

2400 hits, 1000 walks, 200 homeruns, 500 doubles, and 300 steals,

was that mentioned on television. He reached the 1000 walk total last night.

Edit: Ricky Hendrson,

thanks Behad.