1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Talented JVG Rocket Squad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2007.

1. munco

munco Member

this thread is depressing.

btw T-Mac has more talent in his pinky than the combined talent of the guys we traded him for. an obvious exaggeration, but he's one of the most talented players the league has ever seen.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Francis / Yao won one playoff game vs the Lakers as an 8 seed. They were the most talented?

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not a starter-quality power forward in the bunch.

4. thesaint

thesaint Member

2006-07 was the most talented and too bad JVG only used few talents. JVG never used Bonzi, Span n Novak. Rockets had weak bench because of JVG and thats what killed the Rockets. He depended on starters and so u could see the fatigue in them. If JVG would have given Span n Novak the chance to play we could have had a decent bench that could have helped the team. In Span we already saw what he can do against NBA players and Novak made almost every 3-pointers which would have helped us in the playoffs when rockets couldnt shoot ****. Every rookies make mistakes and thats how they learn....JVG just had no desire to coach rookies and develop and hence weak bench.

But overall Yao, Hayes, Tmac, Battier, Alston, JHO, Head n Mutombo looks like the most talented roster.

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Who Cares. All these teams have one thing in common, they couldn't get out of the first round.

I have my doubts about Morey because he is a rookie GM but I hope this guy Morey is a dealmaker and a great judge of talent. We need to reshape this squad starting today.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Laker Team with 4 Hall of Famers >> Dallas [40 pts blow out loss and wa sup 2-0] and Utah [the lower ranked team]

Rocket River

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hmmm .. interesting Results
    This begs the question:

WHICH PLAYOFF OPPONENT WAS THE MOST TALENTED:

PLAY OFF OPPONENTS
    Lakers 2003-2004
    2 Derek Fisher - 3 Devean George
    8 Kobe Bryant HOF - 12 Jannero Pargo
    14 Stanislav Medvedenko - 17 Rick Fox
    21 Kareem Rush - 34 Shaquille O'Neal HOF
    4 Luke Walton - 7 Brian Cook
    20 Gary Payton HOF - 11 Karl Malone HOF
    54 Horace Grant HOF - 9 Bryon Russell
    31 Jamal Sampson

Dallas 2005-2006
    1 Rawle Marshall - 2 Keith Van Horn
    5 Josh Howard - 6 Marquis Daniels
    7 DeSagana Diop - 10 Darrell Armstrong
    13 Doug Christie - 24 Pavel Podkolzin
    25 Erick Dampier - 28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga
    31 Jason Terry - 33 Josh Powell
    34 Devin Harris - 41 Dirk Nowitzki potential HOF
    42 Jerry Stackhouse

Utah 2006-2007

55 Rafael Araujo - 5 Carlos Boozer potential HOF
    9 Ronnie Brewer - 11 Dee Brown
    31 Jarron Collins - 2 Derek Fisher
    10 Gordan Giricek - 15 Matt Harpring
    47 Andrei Kirilenko - 34 C.J. Miles
    24 Paul Millsap - 13 Mehmet Okur
    8 Deron Williams

I think the Laker Team is BY FAR the most Talented Squad
    any of Van Gundy's Playoff teams have faced

HOF = Hall of Famer

Rocket River

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

The most balanced team was probably the 03-04. Mobley, Taylor, Francis, Jim Jackson all could create their own shots and were talented but they weren't really team players. Relied a lot on 1 on 1 and there wasn't a lot of ball movement or team defense.

The best chemistry is probably the 04-05. Barry, Sura Wesley could all hit open shots that year and the communication and rapport on that team was awesome. They had a swagger and they weren't as one dimensional as this year's team. They could hit 3's, midrange, floaters, and layups and run the break. You didn't cringe when those guys put up shots. You expected the barry fast break 3's, the wide open Sura 3's and floaters to go in. Wesley from the corner. Their downfall was their size and speed in the playoffs. Howard would have made the slightest difference which I think could have gotten us over the hump.

The 05-06 team was a mess. Injuries and age finally crept in and decimated that season. Even with a full team I don't think the impact would have been great. That team had no identity.

This year's team had good chemistry but didn't have the toughness of the 04-05 team. They didn't have the cockiness of the 04-05 team and you always felt on edge when shots when up from the outside. They were truly one dimensional as no one on that team could hit anything from midrange. It was either a 3 or a shot from close range which made it easy to expose our offense in a 7-game series. Utah didn't have to defend the mid-range area because none of our guys could hit it consistently. Something the 04-05 team didn't seem to have an issue with.

It's obvious in my choice but I'd give the edge to the 04-05 team. I thought that team was better but just came short with the injury to howard. They lost that extra size on the interior they needed over a prolonged series.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Perhaps I judge the 2003 Team on its level of competition
    the reality to me is that
    esp for those people that say this year's team is the most talent
    If that is the case. . . why did we lose to the least talented team we faced
    in the playoffs

Lakers 2003 >> Dallas 2005 > Jazz 2007

we losing to worse and worse teams in the 1st round

Rocket River