1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Pure Players At Each Position

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Nov 19, 2017.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

In terms of traditional positions 1 to 5, which are the purest players (not necessarily best) at each position in modern NBA history?

And which actual team had the "purest" 1-5 starting five?

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How pure are we talking here? We talking FIJI water PURE?

hvic likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

i wanna say Capela, but dude nasty...

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

CPtree
    Demar Derozan
    I dont know what a pure small forward is TBH, they could be anything really.
    Zach Randolph
    Steven Adams? Tyson Chandler maybe

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My criteria:

PG: floor game, shooting, dribble penetration, ball pressure
    SG: shooting, off ball movement, dribble penetration, ball pressure
    SF: off ball movement, defensive versatility, shooting, dribble penetration
    PF: post play, rebounding, defensive versatility, shooting
    C: rebounding, rim protection, post play

Current Players:

Chris Paul
    Klay Thompson
    Kawhi Leonard
    Blake Griffin
    Rudy Gobert

Modern NBA History (> 80s)

John Stockton
    Ray Allen
    Scottie Pippen
    Karl Malone
    Hakeem Olajuwon

6. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Of the modern all time greats, wouldn't Shaq be more of a pure center? Olajuwon was highly skilled and I could see him play all of the front court positions which is what made him so great. Shaq though was only ever going to be great playing center.

Also is John Stockon more or less "pure" of PG than Jason Kidd?

Ray Allen seems like a great example of a pure SG. Another name I can think of is Reggie Miller.

As for pure PF, I guess it depends on how you define it. If you limit to someone who can shoot, then that leaves out a lot of people who I think were great pure PF but just weren't great shooters or scorers. I mean other than PF, what other position could Rodman ever play even though he was not a scorer at all?

Pure SF is perhaps the hardest position to really nail down. Scottie Pippen and Kawhi Leonard though are probably as pure as I can think off the top of my head.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you mean pure like virgin pure? Maybe Lin, but that’s about it ;)

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, he means "PURE PLAYER" - which is the opposite of what you're thinking, meaning Wilt at C.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. durvasa

I see what you're saying. I was approaching this somewhat differently. You're defining a pure position player as one who would not be able to play effectively at another position. From that standpoint, the more versatile a player is, the less "pure" he is with respect to a given position.

I was going by what I consider the "quintessential" player at a particular position. What are the most important skills to have, on average, for a given position, and which player excels at those various skills. I don't detract from Hakeem because he's also capable of facing up a defender 18 feet from the basket and making moves like a small forward. I think he epitomized the important skills I'd expect from a center better than anyone else in the modern era. Shaq's a good example as well, but I don't think he provided the same defensive presence, which I consider somewhat more important than post play for centers, so I give Hakeem the advantage.

By the same token, Dennis Rodman is not my pick because he was so limited as a scorer (basically put backs, and earlier in his career he was a good transition player). Give me a player who can hit face up jumpers, play low post and high post, runs the floor, as well as plays good position/team defense and rebounds. I think Karl Malone checks the most boxes.

Stockton vs Kidd is a good debate. Stockton was a better pure shooter and I think better in half-court offense, so I'd stick with him.

#9 durvasa, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do this again, but for fun, let's define Modern Era as 2000-on.

Also, for any era definition you want to choose, answer the OP's question wrt "Actual Teams"

I think this is a more fun question....(ie more difficult vs naming an all-star team).

So, 2000-Present would have to include our very own Winning Streak Houston Rockets.
    1. Alston
    2. TMac
    3. Battier
    4. Scola
    5. Yao
    other teams with pretty "pure"/prototype lineups of recent era

Championship Celtics
    1. Rondo
    2. Ray Allen
    3. Pierce
    4. Garnett
    5. Perkins
    Championship Lakers
    1. Fisher
    2. Kobe
    3. Odom
    4. Gasol
    5. Bynum
    there are probably some average to bad teams that have prototype lineups, too.

INB4 this devolves into an argument of which of the "prototype" teams was the best defines which teams is most pure.

#10 heypartner, Nov 21, 2017
  11. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Did you actually include a team with the Kobe led Lakers in your list?

Blasphemy. Ban this man!

12. durvasa

Championship Celtics is a good pick. I somehow forgot Garnett as a candidate for most "pure" PF. He has to be up there, especially factoring in defensive versatility.

13. durvasa

All-Pure Team (> 2000s)

PG: Chris Paul
    SG: Ray Allen
    SF: Kawhi Leonard
    PF: Kevin Garnett
    C: Dwight Howard

14. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Some great replies.

This makes me think, how pure are the current Warriors or other recent top teams starting lineups?

Pachulia is certainly a pure C.

Green is a somewhat atypical PF. He is a mediocre rebounder but makes up for it with assists, blocks and being the defensive floor general. To call him just a PF really doesn't do justice to his role.

Durant is a SF in a PF body.

Curry is a great player but he seems more like a combo guard than a pure PG. Klay looks like he plays some combination of SG and SF.

People have given good examples of "pure" 1-5 lineups. What actual teams has the most unpure lineup?

#14 celebrevida, Nov 21, 2017