1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

most impressive win since Yao has been injured

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 28, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We are now 13-3 since Yao went down. Which win do you find the most impressive? Here are the candidates I can think of:

3/2 Defeated Denver at home 103-89. First win against a Western Conference team in playoff contention. (15th in a row)

3/6 Won in Dallas after playing previous night, 113-98. No Dirk. (17th in a row)

3/8 Defeated New Orleans at home, 106-96. No David West. (18th in a row)

3/16 Defeated Lakers at home, 104-92. No Gasol/Bynum (22nd in a row)

3/21 Won at Golden State, 109-106.

I think I'll go with New Orleans.

2. yobod

yobod Member

It's gotta be Golden State, man. That was crucial in SO many ways. It was on the road, against a team that was constantly given us problems, in the thick of the playoff race. Then you throw in the fact that we had just dropped 2 in a row after winning 22, so we were obviously a little punch-drunk. If we lose that game, then lose the next night in Phoenix, I'm not so sure we could have pulled that game off in Sacramento. It really broke us out of our funk, and allowed us to get back to our winning ways.

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

i have to throw the washington wizards game in for consideration simply because it was our first game without yao and nobody knew how we would respond. im sure the optimistic among us thought we could tread water but i dont think anyone thought we would come out guns a blazing, blow the wizards away, and ultimately record the 2nd longest winning streak of all time.

the way the rockets came out that first game was a telling sign that these rockets were not going to give up as so many around them had. they demonstrated to themselves and everyone else that they can still play, validating their locker room belief in their ability to win without yao, and turned a potentially season ending injury into an opportunity to make history.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm going with Golden State.

The team had just had their back to back "reality check" blowout losses against Boston and New Orleans, and losing a close game to the Warriors at full strength (minus Yao, of course) could have sent them into a tail spin, possibly down to the 6th seed. Add in the Phoenix debacle and Tracy's nagging injuries, and there's no telling how badly things could have spiraled out of control.

Not to mention we are in a position in the standings where it's quite likely that we could end up playing Golden State in the first round. Any regular season win, especially in a close game on their home court, could be an invaluable psychological advantage come playoff time.

5. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Golden State.

The Dallas, NO, and Lakers lineups were missing key players who are/will be back for the regular season stretch run and playoffs.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

we went 20-12 without yao last yr. i think everybody didn't panic one bit.

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I'm going with Dallas game. Even without Dirk it was expected to be a tough game but we just played our game and beat Dallas without any problems.

That was great and especially when we, Tracy did shut down Barkley.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lakers game. i don't care that they were missing gasol, it was the most anticipated regular season game at toyota center for first place in the conference and a lot of pressure was on them to prove they weren't a fluke and to extend the streak in to lone possession of second all-time. we destroyed them too.

golden state is a very close second.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think the Rockets without Yao have not played better than they did against New Orleans. That second quarter where we made like seven threes was surreal. We just wrenched their hearts out, threw it on the floor, and stomped on it repeatedly. Sure they got their revenge a couple weeks later, but we hadn't had Landry for several games by then. Give us a few more games with all our pieces to regain our offensive rhythm, and I guarantee you we'll point to that New Orleans game as a sign that, at our best, we can play with anyone, Yao or non.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

GS. I hope the rockets can play them in the 1st round.

11. HoustonFan4Life

It's hard to choose one since they are all huge victories. I'm just glad we didn't loose to Dallas or L.A. because I hate them the most. I'd have to say the Golden State game was the most impressive since they were at full strength and it was on the road.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The GSW win because it put us back on track. We lost to the Suns but didn't give up against them and fought hard all the way which was set up by this win.

13. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Definitely New Orleans even if it's winning by only 1 point! Winning against them gives me the greatest satisfaction out of all the other teams!

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Beating the Evil Empire for #22 on a super-hyped ABC broadcast game with T-Mac scoring 0 in the 1st half.

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

ditto

it really showcased to the media what we were capable of:

freeze frames of Battier's hand in Kobe's face, suffocating team defense, Scola out working everyone, Rafer playing hard, and .....winning.

16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

100% agree.

17. kwng

kwng Member

I also think it's the GSW one. It's just unbelievable that we won at their place.

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

I'd have to go with Golden State cause they just flat out light it up. They can torch the Suns like nobody else can.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Laker win. We thrashed them so bad, they won at Dallas (with Dirk) and at Utah the nights after.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The win against one of our chief rivals in the race for a top seed, New Orleans. Sure, West was out, but Paul and the rest of their team wasn't. It was in their building and they fought hard. Paul was incredible. We beat them anyway. I've got this game on my DVR at home and I've watched it four times. This was when I knew we were doing something special.