1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

most dissapointing Rockets all-time...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jim Pankovitz, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ACL1

ACL1 Member

but a complete douche of a human being! anyone that tells his kids " I'd hate to be you" on the hall of fame speech.

2. ACL1

ACL1 Member

Shandon Anderson, Mo Taylor.

3. ibm

ibm Member

for one, i think jordan did make others better players. just look at the performance of the other bulls after they left chicago.

but to make others better is not the only thing you determine whether or not mj was the greatest ever. otherwise the greatest ever has gotta be john stockton.

off the topic, anyways. oh, one more thing. take sampson off this list! :p

4. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

You took the words right out of my mouth. People forget this was the begining of the end (of that Rockets era) when they both were suspended. Lloyd and Wiggins had different talents but were valued like Horry and Cassell. Dr. of Dunk, great job on mentioning these two names. I rank these guys as Rockets #1 disappointment because they were playing their best basketball and were a factor with the Rockets. The other players were overhyped, past their prime, or simply put, wishful thinking. Funny that Ralph Sampson was mentioned.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Deck, I disagree that Sampson was a "stick." Yes, he was thin coming out of college. But I distinctly remember people said that he was deceptively strong. People thought he would be pushed around in the NBA, but he was not. He was a strong post player.

I agree with DoD. He was expected to be the greatest player ever, and that expectation was not totally ridiculous. Think about this. Befoer Sampson, they had never seen a player as tall and yet as agile. He was a 7'4 Garnett before Garnett was born. He was simple a freak of nature.

For the young people who have never seen Ralph play, imagine a 7'4 guy who is as skilled as Yao and as athletic as KG who can run a one-man fastbreak from coast to coast. What kind of expectation would you have on that kind of a guy?

He was disappointing not because he did not pan out. It was because his career was so tragically cut short. Like it has been pointed out, he was already a 22-11 guy his rookie year and went to the all-star game. Who knows what he would develop into had he stuck around longer. Hakeem did not peak until he was almost 30. Who knows what Ralph would have become. Extremely disappointing.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

"For the young people who have never seen Ralph play, imagine a 7'4 guy who is as skilled as Yao and as athletic as KG who can run a one-man fastbreak from coast to coast."

Spot on.

There has NEVER been another player who had anywhere close to the skillset and potential of a Ralph Sampson.

Absolutely never...

Not fair to call him a bust. Shame he got hurt!

7. ACL1

ACL1 Member

Ditto!

8. bigrub

bigrub Member

edie griffen just caught a bad break he was actually a good player but lets see....
    Terrance morris
    v-span
    moochie norris
    malik badine
    jason collier
    brent barry
    sf3 2nd time
    bonzi wells
    bryce drew
    swift
    ron ron
    wafer
    ron ron was only disapointing because we gave up green and a first for him and he left. Wafer because he left when we really could have used him this year and for those of you who say cato mmm i bet we sure could use him this year

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That doesn't make him one of the 50 greatest, but can't say that Jordan didn't need Pippen.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

I know I was just saying it's silly when people act like Pippen was absolutely nothing without Jordan. I know he didn't do good in Houston but he's still a very good player and Jordan needed him.

11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Yao.

Didn't you guys expect more from a 7"6 center and more then 19 and 9?

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he deserves some criticism, but I wouldn't say it's his stats. If they built an offense around him, he would average more.

My problem with him now is his health. As far as his development as a player, he's more confident than ever in the low post.

look at the first game against Portland last year!

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Yep, he is good player right now tinman BUT he had the potential to be a GREAT player. He is still the man though.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Not according to the posts that were here when Yao was drafted. It seemed like most people thought 18/9/2 would be awesome. A lot of posters and a lot of sports writers were certain Yao would be another Shawn Bradley. I think Yao has easily lived up to expectations and far surpassed expectations for some. Do the names Dickey V and Bill Simmons ring a bell.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I only read the first six pages, but I didn't see my "favorite" disappointment: Shandon Anderson.

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yao was averaging 27 points before a Clipper fell on his leg, so he was able to produce numbers far beyond 19/9, but God loves to mess with Rox fans.

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Tmac a disappointment? He had just one bad season with us. Overall, since he came to the Rockets from Magic, he was the only guy that made this team look like contenders. I mean we had Westley, J Howard, Luther Head etc. Heck, we had Ryan Bowen as our starting PF against the Mavs in the playoffs. But we took them to game 7 all because of Tmac who was the only guy that did something on this team. Yao was very disappointing in the playoffs just because he gets shut down everytime.

Everyone is hating on Tmac just because he was injured and unable to perform well this one season. Just one BAD season with the Rockets and everyone is bashing him like crazy.

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

That's what I was going to write. V-Span was disappointing, very very disappointing especially if you know how well he played against USA.

One player I'd like to mention is Steve Francis. I'm not saying he was a disappointment, far from that but I had high expectations when he came out of NYC and joined the Rockets second time. People everywhere wanted him to blossom again but that didn't happen.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think you just countered your own argument. If he was such a unique, transcendent talent, isn't it fair to say he was a HUGE disappointment considering he never developed into a real franchise player and his career petered out after a mere 5 seasons?

20. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Gotta be Pippen or TMac. My vote goes to Pippen only because we did get some run out of Grady.