1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

most dissapointing Rockets all-time...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jim Pankovitz, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Yep me too.

There was only like one person on the board who really thought he was the real deal....

2. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

I thought Rodrick Rhodes was a dissapointment

3. rockets119

rockets119 Member

Yao Ming
    I seriously thought he was going to win a couple of championships for us

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You must be thinking of another Steve Harris. ;) Steve was a 1st round pick who was all-world shooter coming out of college. He averaged something like 7 or 8 ppg for us and hardly got many minutes. On the contrary, I think his best year was after he left here. Steve Harris wishes he were von Wafer. :grin:

5. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

really? I knew he would suck. I knew Bernard Thompson would suck. I knew Shandon Anderson would suck. I knew Purvis Short would suck. I knew Buck Johnson would always always suck and he did.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1. Ralsph Sampson tinman, I see where you're coming from. But he was supposed to be the player of the CENTURY coming out of college, and he lasted only about 3.5 good seasons. Not his fault, but extremely disappointing nonetheless.

2. Eddie Griffin

3. Tracy McGrady

4. Steve Francis. Remember why he got his nickname?

5. Lucas-Lloyd-Wiggins. These three guys have to be cited together. Their demise to cocaine (together with the loss of Sampson) just dashed all hope for a dynasty in the making.

#66 Easy, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

T-Mac and Francis are no different in my book. Neither was able to get us out of the first round of the playoffs, and when half the teams in the NBA make the first round of the playoffs each year that isn't even an accomplishment you can brag about. Yao is not much better yet, but he's still got time, and with a team like the one we have this year, adding him to the fold definitely has great potential for next year's championship hopes.

8. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

No I definitely know who Steve Harris was. Yes from Tulsa. He came off the bench for us and hit a lot of jumpers for that 1 or 2 years and then was sent in the Sampson deal for Sleepy, Joe B Carroll, and someone else I think. To my knowlege, there has never been another Steve Harris for the Rockets.

AND it's a completely different Steve Harris that plays bass for Iron Maiden.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I didn't even mention Conner Henry... :)

10. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

All of these players were more talented than what that 1982-83 Rocket team had to offer. On this thread, I see no mention of anyone from that squad, which is one that I think has several candidates that could have been included on the list.

11. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Eddie Johnson

12. RocketMania1991

Thats not haterade. Thats the truth.

We signed Yao to a long term deal to win us a championship. The guy has yet to proven he can consistently play healthy, or compete with the best in the league.

He's a perennial All-Star that has accomplished nothing for us.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Great White Hypes from the past 20 years:

Dave Jamerson
    Brent Price
    Bryce Drew
    Matt Maloney
    Dan Langhi
    Jason Collier
    Boki Nachbar
    Steve Novak

14. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

The 82-83 team was stripped bare and was really supposed to lose. They were a mix of over the hill, never to be players, and a couple up and comers such as Terry Teagle and Craig Ehlo (I believe it was Ehlos rookie year could be wrong). Moses was gone. Calvin Murphy was old and maybe already done. Dunleavy was hurt or already gone. Allen Leavell I think was the leading scorer. Wally Walker was on that team. I'll have to look that exact roster up.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea I was born in 1982 and didn't follow the Rockets til the 1990s so any memory of the Rockets before 1990 isn't going to be as polished/detailed

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still don't see how people can count Ralph Sampson as among the most dissapointing Rockets. He gave us 3 great seasons including one with a championship appearance. I would say he is in the upper tier of players who have contributed to the Rockets.

17. Jim Pankovitz

Jim Pankovitz Member

AGREED!!!

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Cato - we signed him cause he played well in the preseason. I believe Dream wasn't happy along with the offense load moving toward Cuttino/Steve.

7. Matt Maloney. period.

19. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

The last time I checked he owns D.Howard who is considered the best center in the league.

I agree he has foot problems but for a guy that's 7'6 it's understandable.

He help us get to the second round. That should be an accomplishment.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just looked Steve's numbers up. His best year in the NBA was actually when he was shipped to GS. As a Rocket he shot about 41% and 8 ppg in 15 mpg. I think pretty much everybody expected a bit more from the guy than that. The thing I remember the most about Steve, though, was he had some jacked up teeth.

That was back when we seemed to be looking for shooters and long-range gunners every year.