1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's undervalued players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chamillionaire, Dec 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Chamillionaire

When Morey refers to the undervalued players in the league that he'd like to get on the team, who do you think he's referring to?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Players like Kevin Martin and Danny Granger...guys who are not max players, but produce near max player numbers.

DD

3. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

I think Shane Battier and Kyle Lowry were on his list of undervalued players. Kevin Martin and Danny Granger I don't think are undervalued, at least by there teams.

4. bjshot

bjshot Member

No, should be players with high BB IQ but lesser athletic.

5. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Joe Johnson throughout his career would be one, probably shawn marion, Stephen Jackson too. ALthough they're all expensive some others would be probably like Antwan Jamison or Jameer Nelson

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Agreed. I think "undervalued" players are guys who are not only not making max dollars, but never WILL make max dollars. Think more along the lines of guys like Scola, who is a polished performer in his prime making rookie scale money because he was stashed in Europe for so long. Kevin Martin is a no-brainer player. You don't need any fancy analytics to want to add him. It's the small-money guys who add specific dimensions to your team that I think Morey is after when he talks "undervalued."

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Samuel Dalembert

8. ibm

ibm Member

you mean a camby v.2? how's he undervalued?

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd say his list now consists of these guys:

Rodney Stuckey
    Al Horford
    Raymond Felton
    Caron Butler
    Arron Afflalo
    Ramon Sessions
    Rudy Fernandez
    Channing Frye

Well thats about all I have. I added Caron cause he's not making the money he should be, Gilbert should switch his contract with CB3.

10. johnnyonthespot

I totally agree with you on Fernandez. He is a lot better than people give him credit for. I think he could be a starter on several teams in this league, and for a salary of barely over $1 mil the Blazers have him as a steal.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think that's the case, If Morey uses metrics like hoopnumbers' Four Factors adjusted +/-. Kevin Martin may be the worst defender in the NBA. So far, Morey seems to favor players who hustle, defend, and make their teammates better over players who put up the flashy numbers.

Granger might be a good example, I wouldn't put him in the same category as Martin. He rebounds and tries on defense. Martin is more similar to a Corey Maggette type.

In terms of upgrading talent, I think Morey would look to adding more two-way players. Caron Butler was mentioned, maybe Tayshaun Prince, Kirk Hinrich, or Josh Howard. Players that can fit in and step up occasionally until we luck into a real superstar.

#11 pmac, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

His list or your list?

I like the players, but honestly I've no idea who Morey is after - wish I did! But the idea is someone who produces well on court and whose pay packet doesn't quite reflect it.

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Honestly, I think more then likely most of his undervalued guys are probably right now coming off the benches for teams rather then starting. Probably little known guys like Lowry was, who are talented but for whatever reason don't get quality minutes or press.

14. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Delonte West. While he makes a little over $4 mil, he is a left handed big point guard that can defend both the 1 and 2 positions, can attack off the dribble, can create his own shot, and has range extended to the 3 point line. If he did not have those off the court issues, he's likely a MLE player.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm guessing not Butler or Prince.

Based on his moves so far, I think it is clear that Morey's idea of undervalued is heavily influenced by age and those two are too old and have too many miles.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He was after Caron last year, Washington didn't pull the trigger so he was on the list on some point and time. Plus the guys you mentioned aren't even in their 30's, how is that too old? What's your definition of "old" age for NBA players?

17. worzel gummidge

Scribes in Sac have been questioning if Martin is a franchise player and speculating whether the Kings front office are thinking that way. I agree about Granger he's a franchise/max player.

18. worzel gummidge

Morey did trade two first rounders for Artest.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

At one time, Morey was quoted to say that pretty much all good defensive players who are not brilliant offensively are undervalued, mainly because there are no easy measurements for defensive value.

So guys like Hayes, Battier, and Lowry are all Morey's type of players. I think that is also why Dorsey was drafted. The problem with Dorsey is that he is just not bright enough to learn what he needs to learn to be an NBA player.

20. wfox

wfox Member

Yeah, but artest was only payed about $8 mill for one season- far below what his defense and offensive production would have warranted.

Here's another name: Roger Mason Jr. Seems like he would be a perfect Morey player. Too bad Spurs are also an intelligent organization.