1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Would Fire Morey.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Mar 1, 2016.

1. dwhite

dwhite Member

Morey is a fun GM, but this a a results oriented business and his results have been subpar. If he were judged as he judges his players he would not have made it past the trade/waive deadline.

1 person likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Subpar? What is par?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey the owner would definitely fire Morey the GM, his socalled relative

He would flip a GM asset for another asset

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think Morey would fire you as a fan if he could. You go from Yao and Tmac to Harden and Howard w/o tanking? Are you kidding me? Let that sink in.

OKC, they needed tanking to get their guys. SAS? Remember that fateful year they were depressingly bad enough to land Tim Duncan? GS? They used to be dreadful. The Clippers? I don't know where to begin on that one. Cleveland? How many number one picks does a team need?

Morey brought us into the same conversation as those guys without landing top picks via the draft. One year doesn't undo all that. If you're stupid enough to believe that then become a Suns fan. Or better yet, a Jazz one.

1 person likes this.
  6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

One thing I don't understand.

If they were not going to hire new coach, why did they still fired McHale???

"McHale + JBB >>> JBB"

This formula is true always.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey has had 1 bad season, one.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Rudy T. >>> Don Chaney + Rudy T.

So that inequality doesn't always hold true.

They took a chance on a young guy and something needed to be done. It was bold, albeit misinformed, but bold nonetheless.

9. DekkerTheGOAT

DekkerTheGOAT Member

If you are saying that a GM should be fired for one bad season, then Presti and Riley should've been fired last season.

10. dwhite

dwhite Member

Letting Lowry go, letting Dragic go, hiring JB, letting Brooks go, wasting a ton on Howard, the Ty Lawson disaster, having a 3 pt system and not getting the assets to play it correctly, no defense players, undersized key players (i.e. Brewer starting games at PF), etc. He treats players as assets and screws other GMs...his reputation is building to where we are not a favorable trade partner or landing spot for free agents.

11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

put him on the hotseat and give him till next mid season. if the team shows no big improvements then he gets fired. he's had good success here, he shouldnt be fired after one bad season, but he should be on the hotseat. cant let this horrible season fly

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Haha.

Lowry: we used trading him to create room and a pick to land Harden. Worth it.
    Dragic: Yup, he set the league on fire in PHX and Miami right now. Look at all them rings he's got... oh wait.
    Howard: you know who else was going for Howard? Golden State. The logic on going after him was not flawed at all. Everyone made a play for him.
    I almost fear going on, because I don't want to encourage you're rant of ignorance.

At the end of the day, the guy got us to the WCF, an MVP candidate, and raised our belief that this team could win a championship all without tanking. You talk about minor scuffs at best, not very many GMs can land top pick talent without tanking at least one season. The Rockets did.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

I WANT GOOD NOW!! MAUURY DOESN'T ALWAYS GIVE GOOD SO HE SUCKS!!!

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

his boss refuses to let him build through the draft like a normal team. this is why you get stars who were discarded from their previous teams instead of untouchable franchise players that you only get through the draft.

he has a boss who insists on making money, which is why he rarely pays guys when they get off of their rookie contracts, and why he is constantly chasing a 3rd (or second) star.

morey hasn't been perfect, but most of what's wrong with the makup of this roster is directly linked to Les always insisting in "win now" mode, and always insisting in maximizing profits.

so the truth is that morey would probably fire Les.

15. omgTHEpotential

The Celtics have traded Rivers. Can a GM also trade himself for another GM?

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yes.

Also, the Rockets have the third (I believe) most winning record in the NBA since Morey was hired.

17. BreakYoSelfFool

Golden State Warriors

If you want to be extra lenient, the Spurs

18. PhiSlammaJamma

If I step back, to see the big picture, and look over the timeline, I would actually say that Morey is ahead of schedule. We went from Jeremy Lin to having two legit superstars and made it to the Western Conference Finals... without a top draft pick. Did that in no time. For me, the results are outstanding. The team, if it can be held together, is one more superstar away and maybe a few role players need to be upgraded. I like our position. I don't like Dwight leaving, and think that a misstep, but otherwise we are tinkering on the edge of a title run.

19. dwhite

dwhite Member

Morey is the Ty Lawson of GMs (minus the substance abuse)...was a highly underrated well performing GM who has seemingly lost all his mojo. Morey didn't give Ty a second chance for underperforming for just one season.

20. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

This may be a results-based business but Morey seems like a process-based guy. He makes calculated risks given the information at hand - which is probably a combination of data (simple and complex), referrals about players (their character/professionalism etc), and whatever else he needs in the proper context.

He's a smart guy who can probably justify his actions based on risk reward moreso than emotion or whim.

He got us Harden and Howard. (I'm sure there's always a risk of two players not gelling, it was definitely worth that risk). He had us in position to add Bosh and resign Parsons which I'm 100% sure everyone would have agreed was a good move. He added Ty Lawson to a team that made the WCF without giving up a core piece.

Sometimes crap just doesn't work out. Nothing's risk free. So if morey gets fired...yea it'd be if someone was upset with the results. But Morey seems like the kinda guy who knows things dont work out sometimes but if you've got a justifiable process that aims to maximize returns and minimize risk...you stick to it.

So yea...I disagree with the title