1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Rockets Will Replace Landry Through Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by LongTimeFan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yeah now that I've gotten a chance to see Udoh firsthand in two straight games (what a Houston regional!), I have to say that I would take him over guys who were previously higher rated including Ed Davis, Greg Monroe, Patrick Patterson, Hassan Whiteside, Gani Lawal, and Solomon Alabi. The only big men that are still unquestionably above him are Cousins and Favors.

I bet many of the teams in the NBA will move towards this point of view also. Udoh has the feel of a top 10 if not top 7 pick now. He's not just an athletic big man who blocks shots--his offensive repertoire is better than I ever could have imagined.

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Epke Udoh could be our potential Jordan Hill replacement, should Morey include Hill in a sign in trade for a Bosh type player. We could also sign Marcus Camby . Probably use the MLE to either sign JJ Redick or Manu Ginobili.

My Dream Lineup would be:

Lowry/Jack or Banks
    Martin/Redick or Manu
    Ariza/Budinger
    Bosh/Udoh
    Yao/Camby

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Hassan Whiteside has officially declared for the NBA Draft....http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/29/1395117/hassan-whiteside-nba-draft-declares-marshall-lottery-pick

I have no doubt that from all the lottery teams (including the Jazz via NY) this year the Rockets organization is the most Ideal place to develop a big of Whiteside potential, constantly working with rocket personnel like Dawson, Sikma, Yao, Scola to a legend like Hakeem....could really help him expand his game in order to meet that potential....

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bl6q49ruwS4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bl6q49ruwS4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

--RB

4. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Did morey mean that we were gona replace carl's position or did he mean we were gona draft an equal hard working guy not nessesary the power foward??

1 person likes this.
  5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very astute post. I don't think the rockets will have a shot a picking Udoh at their current draft position. I see Udoh vaulting up the draft boards as we get closer to June. Udoh can really effect a game and your right about his offense, he definetly looks like a top 10 to 7 pick for sure.

6. BarkleyHater84

I like Udoh's game and I feel the Rockets should draft him. I just hope that he doesn't fall into the Tyrus Thomas/Stromile Swift hell hole.

7. Egghead

Egghead Member

Hassan Whiteside has some character issues..
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x879456100/Landon-Whiteside-lets-down-in-the-CIT
    ..Rockets draft guys with high character

8. Egghead

Egghead Member

Udoh is 23 and is turning 24 soon.. that's pretty old for a rookie..other than that he's a very good player.

Also everyone knows Morey likes efficient players. Udoh and Monore are in the top 20 in efficiency. http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?q=usage&sort=7&league=NCAA&year=2009/10

Looking back at last years draft, Jermaine Taylor was high in efficiency too.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.p...stage=all&conference=0&pos=all&qual=prospects

I think Morey will choose a player whos high on the efficency list. Also I saw Jarvis Varnado from Miss State, high on the list. He is an awesome shot blocker. He is my sleeper pick as a late 1st or 2nd rounder.
    Here is Varnado's profile..http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jarvis-varnado

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He's 22, almost 23.

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

He also chose Landry and Brooks, who weren't even close in efficiency to other high efficiency players like Fazekas and Big Baby. There's alot more to Morey's choice than numbers.

11. BetterThanEver

12. BetterThanEver

It may have been too early. There's a story that refutes the early draft declaration.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/143141662

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I do like Udoh and Monroe, I would not pass up an opportunity to trade up for a future starting center.

Luis Scola/Jordan Hill
    Yao Ming/??????

I would like to see Jordan Hill put on about 15 pounds or so...

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I agree that Morey doesn't just go by the numbers but I'm sure that it informs his decision making. I remember Morey touting Dorsey's production when he got drafted (great rebounding numbers, and good amount of blocks and steals). And Landry's PER in his senior year was actually quite good. 9th in the country: http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.p...006/07&stage=all&pos=all&q=eff&min=20&q=usage

But you're right that he's looking at other factors, specifically if the player has a skill that translates to the NBA. Such as AB's quickness and ability to create his own shot. Or why he didn't draft Chris Douglas-Roberts, because he wasn't that great of a shooter or have much athleticism.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say future starting center....I'm thinking future starting PF who can backup center.

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Scola will be the starting PF for the next 5-plus years imho...

Still, a big at PF or C would be nice, just make him a beast please! :)

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I do think a big would be very nice. Evan Turner and Wes Johnson would be nice as a consolation prize.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Absolutely. I think Xavier Henry would be a nice fit for the princeton offense.

Ekpe Udoh is a very obvious choice, but I wonder If it might be a good idea to draft a freshman to really take advantage of talent coming out early because of the lockout stuff...

I know you guys do not like Whiteside, but If that guy falls to us I think you almost have to pick him. A super athletic 7 footer that blocks over 5 shots a game, and has a smooth looking jumpshot? I don't know, I would have a hard time passing on that ball of clay for Luis/Shane/Chuck and coaching staff to work with.

#278 RudyTBag, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger
    Ariza/Battier
    Scola/Hill
    Yao/Whiteside

I think Hill and Whiteside would be great prospects to develop together as a tandem...

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sorry to say Udoh and Whiteside won't fall to us.

I'm hope Morey grabs Dontas Motiejunas. He'd be great with the right coach.

I hope Morey can swing a trade for Rubio's rights though...