1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on the difference between Harden and Westbrook on having conversations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

3. SORF

SORF Member

This doesn't surprise me. While some of you think Harden looks lackadaisical bringing the ball up the court, I see him as analytical...sizing up what is in front of him. Player 1 on PJ, player 2 on RoCO, player 3 on Westbrook and player 4 and 5 heading for me. That means House is free in the corner, then Harden fires the ball to House. Sometimes when I see him doing that, I hear the "Terminator's dada dada dada dada " surveying the area. Sometimes Harden overthinks and that is where his turnovers usually happen.
    With Westbrook, he just decides to go fast and try to make things happen. He is good for 80% of the time...but that other 20% he really stinks it up. That is when he usually makes his turnovers. Interestingly, the number of TOs Harden and Westbrook make each game are usually the same. So each of their style of basketball works for them. And I have no complaints about either. Westbrook is a good physical player, Harden is an analytical skilled player.
    JMO, that was what Harden was trying to say about himself when he had the interview with Rachel Nichols.

#3 SORF, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Harden is smarter and more skilled, Westbrook is more athletic. No news there.

34to11, RayRay10, rhino17 and 2 others like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

A troll started a thread stating harden is not smart or articulate which is as nothing more then his lin fan trolling thoughts but it seems it’s the opposite.Another loss for lin trolls looking at you hikanoo and you’re billion other way ids

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

One has improved every season. Plays smarter and can now shoot from anywhere. The other is just pure rage and athleticism.

vlaurelio, D-rock and Stormy1234 like this.
  7. SemisolidSnake

The differences between James and Russ are the key to winning a championship. Sometimes one approach works better than another. It's late, so I'm lacking good analogy skills, but I figure it's similar to military engagements. Sometimes it's better to methodically encroach upon and wear down or siege an enemy (James), and sometimes it's better to just forcefully attack with shock and awe and put and keep the enemy off balance (Russ). More than likely both of these approaches are present to different degrees in any engagement, and figuring out the proper balance in each situation is the key to success.

Before this year, you had Paul who was the consummate cerebral battlefield manipulator (or would've liked to be) and James...who also did that but also was your shock and awe guy. That's unbalanced, and it showed up with James doing a ton of the work and Paul being left out because of role overlap. That's the not the case here. If these two can gel enough to work out the kinks of this more complementary system, other teams are going to have trouble. They're not quite there yet but the potential of this is quite exciting.

Richie_Rich, vlaurelio and RayRay10 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I fret Analytics alone does not win championships.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think if you had healthy Durant, that's a favorite to win it all.
    You'll need the height and talent at the 3.

James
    Russ
    Durant (Tatum, PG, Butler, Middleton....) (Lebron, Kawhi, Doncic are alpha guys)
    Covington
    Tucker

#9 daywalker02, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  10. Caprah

Caprah Member

If you had a healthy on this squad you would easily go 74 to 75 wins in a season. But that’s a healthy kid

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

or harden just been here longer n has more pull..u know 7 years n all lol.

i go on vaca n its good to see clutchfans still saying messy dumb bs lol.

guy not gonna be as vocal coming to another team that already has a superstar there lol.

water is wet

12. rockets13champs

Hardens game has always been like chess, he thinks every move. Russ only knows how to play 1 way and it’s with the killer mentality

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No idea what you were trying to say, but your post reminded me that I should have put you on ignore a while ago.

34to11 likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL harden is not only analytics he gets the job done

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Would this team win more with 2 hardens or 2 wbs?

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i was originally going to go with 2 WBs, but i think having 2 players as versatile and skilled as harden would get you farther

17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is as much about disposition as about ability. Harden is clever but also patient. One thing I like about Westbrook's increased focus on getting to the basket in the half court, instead of taking shots the defense is giving him, is that it shows more patience.

I love Chris Paul for his exceptional skill at orchestrating possessions. But you could make an argument, particularly in his later years, that he trades away too much initiative for patience.