1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 and 610 to talk about Chandler Parsons leaving

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rock3t Man, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Major

Major Member

If you're building around 2 stars, max cap space isn't important - you fill role players with things like MLEs and trades. The cap space is critical to get the stars.

Dallas - 1. Houston - 1 and 2. Detroit - 0. 2000-2002 Lakers - 2. Spurs - varied at times from 1-3. Arguably 1 this year given the limited use of Duncan/Ginobili. First Bulls set - 2. Second Bulls set - 2 or 3 depending on how you value Rodman.

There are more teams that win with less than 3 stars than do it with 3. People just like to remember the Celtics and Heat, and forget that the Spurs Big 3 was rarely actually a Big 3 when they won many of their titles.

Love is likely to be traded and sign a long term deal somewhere. Aldridge may be lying, but he's said he's 100% committed to Portland long term and will sign a deal next season when he can get paid more. So you're putting all your eggs in the Rajon Rondo basket. After losing 3 of their top 7 rotation players from last year, the team doesn't have much left in terms of useful assets to trade for a major star, so the trade route seems fairly limited.

2. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I'm just saying what I've been hearing is that there are a few wealthy season ticket holders(I'm talking courtside and behind the Rockets bench) that are considering canceling their season tickets because they are so pissed off at what the hell Daryl is doing

3. Nils

Nils Member

The only "bad" decision was allowing CP out early...the rest were a consequence of this decision. Not matching was correct, bc you had screwed up earlier.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Morey had a plan that damn near created the best lineup in the NBA. Thank goodness DD and some of these posters aren't the gm. Too freaking emotional. He doesn't bat 1.000 but he makes moves with purpose and sticks to his guns.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

On the 3 elite players, I dont have the data, Morey does. I trust him there.

I'm not putting all my eggs on Rondo. Many things can happen. If there's one thing we know, its that we don't know who'll be available.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I started another thread to discuss this, but I'm not sure we can say this. Morey used the word "elite" not stars. I don't know how he defines elite, but Morey doesn't just lie when he talks about stats and facts. It's hard to believe he would say that most teams win a title with a big 3 with few exceptions if he didn't think he was right, yes?

I think maybe the definition of elite we are using is off.

How does Morey define elite?

7. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

I disagree with that.

Parker was always elite in he speed up and down the court. He had to control his pace better to finish at a better clip but he could get to the basket. Year two his advanced stats shot up. Morey would have kept him. He was on his rookie scale contract and Morey loves those as well.

Ginobili was even better in the beginning on defense. Again no way Morey lets him go. WS and DRTG too high.

I do not think Morey wants only contract guys. He wants elite talent. He views Parsons as complementary. Howard is elite, Harden is elite at least on offense, I would argue there is not truly another elite player on the roster. I am hoping PB will make the jump to an elite defender with another good defender out there on the wing.

I understand why Morey did not resign Parsons. He is a good player perhaps great. But paying him like he is great to exceptional. He does not track to be that player.

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

This is true but he didn't have to let Parsons out of his contract in order to acquire that dream roster. In fact, it hampered our moves and put us in a difficult spot with the deadline. Anyway you cut it, the Parsons situation has been a huge blunder. It's not over yet either. Now we have a fan favorite playing for a hated rival and need to start worrying about how this might affect Dwight's desire to stay in Houston long term.

9. Major

Major Member

Fair enough - but the data isn't secret here. You can look at each champion and see their rosters. We've watched them all play. I don't think this is a case of some secret sauce that only Morey has access to.

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great distinction. The focus on "stars" is a bit of a distraction and not really what Morey is shooting for. Morey wants that 3rd best player -- which he believes just needs to brewing certain elite skills, not necessarily be a "star."

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I know, but he may define elite differently.

Chandler is clearly not in that category.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's not a secret, but it's a question of how we define elite.

What does Morey mean? Was prime Horace Grant "elite?"

It would be pretty ridiculous of him to make that statement if by your definition of elite the only teams with 3 elite players to win a title since 1990 were the Celtics (1x) and Heat (2x).

I have a feeling his threshold for elite is a lot lower than we think and doesn't mean superstar.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? Yeah, sticking to a plan that is likely to fail is a great idea.

It has nothing to do with emotion, I think Parsons is a damned good player and believe that letting him walk was stupid.

Especially because we could have had him for 1m this year - the only reason to make him a RFA is because you are willing/ready to match.

DD

14. Nook

Nook Member

Harden, Parsons and Lin all were bad on the perimeter.

Harden and Parsons especially were bad.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Plays were called.... defense was coached over and over and over again. Harden gave poor effort.... Parsons gave poor effort and was oblivious as to when it was appropriate to switch..... Lin gave effort but was oblivious on when to switch.

Parsons would have no basis for being pissed, it is a fact that he was a poor defender.... just like Harden shouldn't be pissed about Morey saying the Rockets need a good defender at the 3.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

We took a shot at really being something special and lost this fight. However, matching the $45 million offer would have compounded the mistake of making Parsons a RFA.

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I really enjoyed reading you and the freaks conversation debate...... Both of yall had great points it's a tough call whether Morey would have broken up that San Antonio core. I remember when Parker was almost traded for a declining Jason Kidd ( big name ) who knows ??? Again should have its own thread....

18. daytripper

daytripper Member

Yep. Morey did good the last two offseasons but he kinda got played this summer by Fegan, CAA, Riley, and Kupchak. Live and learn I guess..

Next time I hope they are a little more stealthy with their intentions. The whole league could see what they were doing and a few smart agents and team execs acted accordingly to beat Morey to the punch.

19. conquistador#11

sources: daryl murray will be on the rachel maddow show to discuss the parsons debacle, then will meet with jorge ramos on univision.
    (not serious)

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No use crying over spilled milk.