1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey more or less likely to pull off trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jul 11, 2016.

?

How likely is Morey to make a trade for another impact player before the season starts?

1. More likely than not

93 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. Less likely

74 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

With Harden resigned and our cap pretty much spent; with Gordon, Anderson and Nene in tow, is it MORE or LESS likely Morey makes a trade for another impact player before the season starts?

...or are we pretty much looking at the 16-17 rockets roster?

2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I would trade Dekker while his stock is a bit high.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ask dantoni and les.

This is most likely the roster for the next 3 years.

4. BleedsRocketRed

Trade what though? Who wants our garbage? Even if Morey does trade our trash, what we will we get?

I just don't see anything happening thats going to have a meaningful impact anytime soon.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought there was a reason that the Rockets were not signing some good quality free agents while we had so much cap room remaining. I figured it was to accomodate a trade in which we took on more salary than we were giving up. It turns out that it was to give Harden a raise. While I think Morey is always capable of making a trade, I am less confident that one is coming now.

6. bmd

bmd Member

They have no back-up point guard, a glut of forwards, and there are no decent point guard free agents.

I think it's almost guaranteed Morey will make a trade.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Minor trades only

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't see how it would be possible to get anything that we'd be excited about. We just don't have the assets to pull off a trade of any caliber. Capela is probably our best trade bait.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey being Morey, he'll find a deal, but it might be some 3 way thing, something to upgrade the 5 or bolster the 1.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

There's basically two types of trades:

1) fundamentally team altering trade - significant rotation players and assets are traded for an "upgrade"

2) trade to fill a hole - non-rotation players and/or non-significant assets for a role player

I don't see #1 happening. I do think it was on the table if we had landed Bazemore (Ariza traded), but now there isn't really a way to trade rotation players without creating significant holes.

I'd be a little surprised if #2 didn't happen, but I don't think it's a guarantee. We actually don't have many minutes to offer right now besides 15-20 to a backup PG.

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

As others have mentioned, trading will be tough. Whatever we do, I would try signing Mario Chalmers assuming he has a "clean bill of health" after his achilles injury. Maybe he would sign for the minimum to see if he can regain his value and get a decent contract in the offseason? Would be a huge chip at the trade deadline if he can return to form which is a question mark. I see the Warriors are interested in him which would be for the minimum but not sure he gets a chance to play much with that team.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

In a league where versatile/agile wings are increasingly valuable, Brewer represents a good amount of value at his salary relative to the league. KJ represents value in lower salary + upside.

I could easily see 1 of them being moved as a main piece in a deal for a PG. Perhaps adding in Beverley if the guy is going to be a 30+ mpg PG

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

It will be tough

14. malakas

malakas Member

Except the wings are valued when they can also shoot and/or defend. And Brewer isn't versatile. Can he defend the 4? nope. Can he defend the 1? Nope. I'm not sure he can defend anyone anyway.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Brewer + KJ + another asset (first or 2nd round pick) should get you a solid PG that a current team doesn't want anymore. Although Holic is about 2 years too late on his Rubio prediction, it does make some sense now. This is assuming Minnesota will finally cut their losses and take what they can get. Rubio's salary really is an overpay even though I do think he is a valuable player and may be reasonable given the cap increase.

I think he could play 25+ minutes a night as a starter or backup and be pretty successful with this team as he hasn't had the scorers/system that this team has to succeed.

I do trust that Morey has a plan to get at least a serviceable backup PG at this point. If not, then they plan to play Harden as PG and just fit pieces in around him that make sense. We do have several wings that can play SG/SF. I do like a Harden/Gordon/Ariza/ Anderson/Capela lineup as you have shooters and at least some defense assuming Capela improves on defense, etc. this year.

16. Sanity2disChaos

He better do something!! This roster is miles away from being anything worth watching (other than Harden)...

But a PG is the most logical given the current roster...A Center is not a must have at the moment but maybe by the deadline.

Give me Bledsoe or Knight and call it a day (a long assss day).

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm with you, though I do think this team is already more fun to watch than last year, with the free agent additions.

I really do think we're missing a key ball handler on this roster. Either Bledsoe or Holliday would be a huge difference-maker, and it's hard for me to believe if we threw in a few assets on top of Bev, who is actually a good asset at $5 mil a year, that we could get an impact pg in return.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

He can defend the 2/3, which is important. He can switch onto 4's, esp in the era of small-ball 4's playing a lot. For his contract, he's better than any FA option out there.

No one's saying he need to start. But when guys like Crabbe are making 20 mil, Corey is useful for playing the same amount of minutes. (Not a shooter like Crabbe, but guys like MKG, Evan Turner, and others have found ways to live without being able to shoot.)

Yeah, I pretty much had Rubio in mind as well. But I'm sure there are other options he's considering

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Stop using this name. He is a puppet now. The real question is whether D'Antoni is satisfied or wants a trade to be made. Reek will do as he is told.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This roster is a mess he still has work to do.

DD