1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey might resign on his own.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 10, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

They know they overplayed their hand

clutchdabear and Mazulis like this.
  2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Iffy!

Depends how much that employee is worth in the long run. Tillman knows Morries isn’t a dime a dozen GM. Besides, like others have said, if there are losses to be had, it will be had by the entire league not just the Rockets. This conundrum might help more in the long run than one might think...

3. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

No way Morey is going to resign. Almost everyone loses in this incident, Rockets' owner, NBA, Chinese fans, maybe even Donald Trump. Morey and the politicians behind him are the only beneficiaries. We know Tilman can't fire him now. The damage is already done, Chinese market already lost. Here is what happens in he fires Morey:
    1. He'll need to pay Morey's newly signed 5 years contract in full
    2. If Morey starts a lawsuit against him, he is likely to lose and will need to pay more
    3. Us customers will get very pissed off and even bigger damage will be done to his business in the US
    Morey pinpointed the angle and timing to launch the attack, he used the entire NBA to manipulate millions of people in the two most powerful countries in the world, a true masterpiece. As successful a manager as he is, he will be nobody after 20 years. But if this marks the start of the ending of the diplomatic relation between the two countries and a new round of cold war, he will be remembered forever.

Miracle, clutchdabear, Jontro and 3 others like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually if Morey resigns he wil not be paid in full - and a deal can be made in the backend that is not announced to sort that out.

Customers can be pissed off, but if Morey comes out and says HE made the decision, not much we can do...

DD

malakas likes this.
  5. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

If DM would resign, he would have don’t already. Now I don’t know if he is smart enough to orchestrate this whole thing, but he clearly put everyone of nba, maybe every company has business with China into the same boat with him. He may not find another job while every international cooperation considered he might tweet again something.

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Do you work for a company? If so, can you bad mouth your manager or cost your company millions of dollars and still somehow keep your job?

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you don’t have to deal with the consequences. It’s the same everywhere, US or China.

cheke64 likes this.
  7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

They’ve just got to figure out how to save face with the Chinese. You’d think morey would have taken some Chinese business etiquette classes.

8. alcatrazpsycho

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Had this not blown up, had China said nothing, I think you're right. This right here would have been his release.

10. Mr. Space City

This whole situation is gonna make it harder for Morey to do his job in the future.

I'm sure there are owners, GM's, players, etc that want to punch Morey in his face RN. It's gonna make it harder for him to make trades in the future, because there are gonna be GM's that simply will not want to work with him. We can already forget about working with the Nets. Free agency is also gonna be harder, because Morey has jeopardized so many players earning potential in the Chinese market

thedopefiend and jcf like this.
  11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Moreygate. Lol!

12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that was my thought from the beginning of this. The combo of suddenly growing a conscience and the need to offer up an unsolicited negative opinion aimed at a major business partner was plain dumb. I hope that he said hold my beer while I press send on this tweet

#72 Pistol Pete, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Who do you think would re-sign first? Trump or Morey? Imma go with Trump.

You're delusional. After costing Tilman tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, do you really think there is going to be a back end deal? Morey is still a rockstar. Tilman isn't going to cut him, pay him on the back end and hire another GM after his franchise just took a significant hit. Rockets were easily a top 3 team and Tilman was still being cheap AF.

don grahamleone and clutchdabear like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah and maybe there will also be a nuclear war, turned into a zombie apocalypse and only ends when there is alien invasion by three legged Sith Lord spiders .

And it will all have started by a Morey tweet.

:rolleyes:

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

If China lets this whole thing blow over, I think Morey will resign or let go in 2-3 years if the Rockets don't win a championship. After this current core is done, the Rockets will need to attract new FAs and draft future potential stars and at that time, you don't want the Morey issue hanging over your head as China money may affect how these players choose.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I know it's ridiculous for people here to hear/read this, but that's how most Chinese truly think, the product of many years government brainwash.

Think about this, Mao started Culture Revolution which caused tens of millions Chinese life, and he is still regarded as god in China!

I hate to say this, but no employer wants to keep you when you cost them tons of money. So it's just a matter of time for him & the Rockets to work out an exit route.

17. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I too think he will resign.

But if he resigns now its gonna look like the league/Rockets pressured him into it. If the team is off to a slow start let say 4-6 for the first 10 game of the season then they can fire/force him to resign and blame it on the team under performing blah blah blah.

IMO the likelyhood of Morey staying with the team for the duration of the season is low. Shame too because he's hell of a GM.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crappy title, crappy thread. C'mon man!

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Dude... so is this just based on your thoughts and opinion - then that title is outta line...

It should at least be prefaced with an "I think..." or "Imo..." or posed as a question "Should Morey..."

jus sayin...

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

+1. Come on, DD. You’re better than this.