1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey May Actually be too Smart for His on Good!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 21, 2011.

1. zooch

zooch Member

The Top 3 Contenders in the West: The Spurs, Lakers, and Mavs aren't getting any younger. If the Rockets be smart, aim young, and start rebuilding now. It'll be a easy trip back to the top.

2. AggieRocketsFan

He also traded an expiring contract for Thabeet.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No team EVER wants to trade within the same conference, thats not some new notion just put into practice.

Its the fact nobody wants what he has to offer, quite frankly I wouldn't either. I don't know how much he over values his "Assets" but that's the one thing I was wondering going into this season when he was sure the rockets would get a star.

5. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

see Swoly-D rape can be funny:cool:

nice post old man

6. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

The overall content of the Op's post is that DM was a rooking pitcher with a funky delivery and was striking guys out cuz they couldn't figure his mechanics out. Now that they have tape on him and can study him his stuff is not as good anymore.

Well I think DM is a good pitcher and although some singles are getting into the outfield I don't see us giving up runs on this guy. He is still good.

Ok so I will end that analogy now.

This season yes DM went into the season looking for that homerun acquisition (wait... didn't I say I was stopping that analogy), and it never came to fruition. He went for Bosh in the offseason but Bosh went to Miami. He then made plays for Carmelo and later Nene and some talk about Granger and CP3 mixed in too.

All these attempts just didn't happen but he was in the mix and due to his previous deals the Rockets have always been in a position to be in the mix with their assets to make a play. I don't feel that this has anything to do with other GMs not wanting to deal with Morey, it is more a situation where the target was too much to attain or didn't want to play here (Melo).

The bottom line is this is a business and if the right deal is presented and a GM says no I won't make that deal because I don't like him, well I don't think that GM will be around long.

The trade assets we started with were Knicks draft picks that we assumed would be mid to high lottery but then the Knicks started playing well for the first time in a decade. So that asset lost value quickly. The expiring contract of Jared Jeffries and Shane Battier, which in any other year would have been ideal. But we all know the league is about to go into a lockout pending a new CBA. So those expirings also lost some value.

We all saw how our attractive young players regressed this year: Aaron Brooks, Jordan Hill. Morey still turned that into a suprisingly good Goran Dragic and a 1st round pick. Shane's expiring for a Thabeet if only to see what he can become was also not a total loss. The only loss we had this year in terms of acquisitions was on Terrence Williams and we don't know if this was because of RA or TWills bad attittude.

With all the above being said this was not DM's finest year by far. But each of us got to see what a team that plays together on the same page can do. If just one play for a bonafide star would have come through we would not be having this conversation. Depending on what the new CBA will be and how much cap will be lost I think DM's assets will be even more valuable in a cap restrained league so whose to say he doesn't get a play at a star again soon.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

8. PeppermintCandy

Morey gets a lot of attention from the media, maybe because he makes himself more available than other GMs. However, I don't think that makes his fellow GMs wary of dealing with him.

He's definitely made some good deals (NY trade, Scola), but I've never felt he did anything extreme, something that other GMs wouldn't do when they have an advantage. I mean, look at how hard Denver tried to squeeze the Nets and the Knicks when they were dealing Carmelo Anthony.

The simple fact is that Morey's offers have not been attractive enough. In most situations, other teams have had better players or higher draft picks to offer.

9. Crush

Crush Rookie

I suspected this in previous years; Morey getting a rep means he has to play more mind games. GMs unwilling to do his deals even if they look good; they'll think they're missing something and he has an ace up his sleeve

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am not going to link to it or re-post it but Jerome Solomon wrote a terrible article about Morey. Just really badly written.

11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

There maybe something to this line of reasoning. Remember somehow Morey could not clear roster space with a trade when they were said to have signed Dampier. but after that deal collapsed then they were able to clear the space they needed.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

JVG just recently said how much he likes and respects Daryl Morey. I think he actually said he loves the guy.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hey...i like where this is going.;)

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

on the flipside wouldn't gms value rocket players because they value the gm's judgement.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

A few things.

1. Regardless of how other GMs feel about him, I'd rather have a GM who's "smarter" than others rather than one who keeps drafting the Bokis, Eddie Griffins of the world and paying big money to the likes of Mo Taylor and Kelvin Cato.

2. Morey in one of the podcast talks about how every time he calls another GM, he asks them what they want. And that every Rockets trade involves the other team GETTING WHAT THEY WANT. I know fans can't fathom this because fans must feel there be a winner and a loser in every trade. But every Morey trade has given the other team what they wanted. Spurs saved money on luxury tax. NY kept their hope of Lebron/Bosh alive. Sacramento got rid of the guy who couldn't play with their future superstar-in-waiting. All these teams were happy. In the end, if Morey provides the best deal on the table, teams will take them because they act in their own self interest.

3. As evident by the past few superstar moves, it's the players that run the show in general. KG, T-Mac, Lebron/Wade/Bosh, Melo, etc. all had a huge hand in forcing a trade to the place they wish to be. If the next T-Mac deal came along because the Rockets somehow lucked into a star in the draft... Morey can be hated all the same. The other GM will not screw his own team just to give Morey the finger.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow do you think the griz are complaining about gay? Or getting battier back? Are the knicks sad they lost hill and low first rounder next year? Thanks to those deals they were able to clear cap and now have melo and amare.

Morey did get scola for nothing.

He also go landry for kmart, but I think sactown was trying to get rid of him because of evans. Cousins is already pissed about evans imagine if Kmart was taking shots too.

All these teams had reasons to do what they did and I doubt they regret except for a few doing what they did.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Moreys job security is secure. There have been enough moves to this team already. More moves involving changing coaches and GMs and then players would only prolong the process of rebuilding. Not smart to replace him now. Might as well go ahead and see what he produces since he is close to setting his own "plan" in motion. To derail that plan and then go into another direction would take some more years to adjust to the new persons strategy and player preferences. To that I say no way.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

... if he's giving you his players for nothing. If I were a GM and Morey came asking for one of my players, I'd think twice before I'd let go of said player.

It' like bargaining with a slick used cars sales. Even if you feel like you got a good deal, you always come out thinking, "Why was he willing to give me this car for that price? Did I miss something?"

I think about the only way a guy like Morey can convince other GMs to make a deal is to show them that he REALLY needs to unload a the player. For example, at the past trade deadline, the only "assets" Morey could trade was Brooks and Battier. Everybody knew Brooks needed to be shipped. Same with Battier with his expiring contract.

He couldn't convince Chicago to take Lee for Asik probably because they immediately gave Asik a high value. There was no necessary reasons for us to unload Lee except that Morey must believe Asik had higher value than Lee.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i think meh's post sums it up nicely. teams that have dealt with morey got what they needed. so even if morey is an excellent evaluator, teams still have needs.

in the case of chicago, the rockets needed a big, they needed a two, if they felt they weren't getting enough i can understand. but they probably had that value on asik before the trade proposal, bigs are a rarer commodity.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Plus OP forgot????

Knicks got what they wanted in Carmelo. We helped them
    Kings got what they wanted
    Lakers got Artest
    We got Ariza and they got another Championship
    We didnt get Bosh, Carmelo, or Amare Stoudemire
    PHOENIX GOT BROOKS FOR DRAGIC!
    MEMPHIS GOT BATTIER FOR A BOX OF LARGE PEANUTS IN THE DLEAGUE

There is no way any team fears this guy. He hasnt messed over one organization yet to be feared. They all got back equal to better value. If you think they might believe they are playing hardball with him because he might be a sucker and give them what they want eventually? Thats actually more valid an argument.