1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey just said that Rox plans to resign Ron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2009-02-21/14164230195.shtml

You don't have to understand chinese cause there is an audio link of the intervew and it will play automatically.

The host sucks, not much info there. The only piece of value he got from Morey, I think, is Ron IS in the team's future plan.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well they better. they traded 2 first rounders to get him.

3. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

That would be a good move especially from from the motivational standpoint

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey says that Tracy's knee injury is serious, and all the options they're looking at are serious and will keep him out.

From that interview, it sounds worse than we were led to believe through most of the season.

Morey hints that the Rockets decision to "upgrade" the PG spot was partially motivated by Tracy's uncertain future. That's an interesting tidbit we didn't hear before.

Yao is the only untradeable player on the team, but I suppose we all knew that.

#4 durvasa, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

um this really doesn't matter

if Ron doesn't have the Rockets in his plans, anything Morey plans is moot.

And I get the feeling that Ron is bolting as soon as he can unless the Rockets can get some significant wins and two or three playoff rounds.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

yeah, he should have juss had the surgery at the begining of the season or aleast stayed out until he got better. Morey's doin a great job, glad he's our GM.

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

This is the very first time I accually liked sina.

This team needs Artest. Rockets MUST have a tuff guy like him.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Of course, it depends on the price. We shall see what other teams offer him.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Woah, this is really big! I was pretty sure Artest would be good on this team next year, but I figured Morey had something else up his sleeve. I'm pretty sure Morey will wait until we see how Artest plays in the postseason before making any sort of decision.

Perhaps the biggest plus about Morey that he hasn't been able to demonstrate yet is that I DO NOT believe that he will ever overpay for talent in terms of contract length/amount. I have confidence that he wil pay Artest an amount that will not prevent good moves from later on and will take all factors into account.

I'm not saying there will never be a future situation in which we will regret having a player under contract for a few more years (like in the case fo Tmac and his injury situation). But I think we will not be stuck like the clippers are with BDiddy

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'd imagine not that much, but we'll see. I'm thinking 8-9 mill per year for 3-4 years.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

arrest takes worse shots than Tmac which is saying something. He also seems to lolligag on defense. He is overrated.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nice dodge there at the end.

Morey sounded sort of guarded in that interview. I think his words were chosen to create minimal tension between the Rockets players and the organization.

- McGrady's injury is indeed serious
    - We always liked Ron, and we'd like him back
    - Yao will never be traded, and no comment on contract discussions

Maybe we should take it with a grain of salt.

13. TheBigAristotle

I don't know where I stand on re-signing Ron. He's been a disappointment so far these season along with our team for a majority of it. Yet, let's see how he plays for the remaining chunk of the season/playoffs. If he ends up walking, so be it. Yet, if he's played well and wants to re-sign, we can definitely give him the money.

If not, we're filthy rich in 2010. We'll just get Wade, Bosh, and Lebron :)

14. joesr

joesr Member

I think the only thin keeping Ron away was Tmac. I have a feeling those two didnt get along

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Sounds good but don't believe everything people say. I agree with others that Artest probably does not want to stay here anyway, his body language has changed and I'm really afraid his statements about he should have started all along will come back to haunt him.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm not missing Donte Green much...

After the Rockets let the trade deadline pass, they're choices were pretty much limited: try to resign him or let him go for nothing.

The ball is in Ron's court from now on. He can ignore any Rocket's offer and sign with any team he wants. I'm curious to know what available cap space we will have after this season to know what we can actually offer Ron. Even though we have Ron's Bird Rights, I doubt we will break the bank and go over the cap to resign him.

Who knows though, all things can change with how well we do in the playoffs and how much Artest helps us during that.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We can pay Ron more than anyone else. So, if does decide to leave, I strongly suspect it will be through a sign and trade, depending on what we can get back for him. However, with a faster tempo, I believe he will stick with Adelman.

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the first round pick that we lost this year in the trade doesnt worry me as much as the second round pick we gave back to memphis.

we would probably have a a pick from 24-30

you can usually get the same type of talent from pick 31-36 and without having the need to have a guaranteed contract.

i would be certainly a lot more worried if the pick was 20 or lower.

I do like that at least the Rockets are saying that they plan to re-sign Ron.

If they are serious about building a contender they need to keep ron or bringing in a all-star type player like him in. It will be hard to do so and it will be easier to keep Ron and plus honestly I am tired of this somewhat revolving door of players that seemed to have happened over the past few years. I would like to see the team stay pat with the players they have unless its a minor move (new bench player) or if its an obvious upgrade in talent

EDIT: to the OP thanks for finding the link!

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

I hope Ron resigns with us. He brings this team toughness. Of course if he plays great in the playoffs his stock will rise. I don't see any teams throwing the bank at him though.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Interesting for a GM to imply that one of his players are pretty much done, even though we all knew it was true.