1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey inclined to keep young Rockets status quo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haoafu, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

we don't believe u Moreeeyy!.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think landing a 14th pick yet again this year would be something I can stomach since we actually have star player now. Now, if things don't change much after this coming offseason, then I'll be pissed off. For this year, I can be patient. Next year, I definitely need to see us be a lower seed while we work our way up to glory again (OKC style).

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Anyone up for trading for Tyson Chandler? Maybe NY wants some youth?

We can offer Asik, Royce White, either 2Pat or MM, Douglas, picks?

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Wasn't Morey saying almost the exact same thing during training camp this Summer right before the Harden deal fell into his lap?

Look, if a deal makes sense he will make it. Its just that now he has to keep the future in mind even more than before. Except this time setting himself up for a top pick in the next years draft isn't really an option. Now it MUST be through trade or free agency.

I do think that this is going to be an active Summer for trades so he might want to keep that in mind. However, If I was Morey I would be still focused on restocking my pocket with future draft picks to start preparing for that trade now.

If Morey has the ability to move Carlos Delfino, or Patrick Patterson for a first round draft pick you freaking do it. That's the inclination that I dont really agree with. Getting that bag of assets rebuilt should be more important than winning 2 more games this season at best.

You dont want to get to this Summer when the next James Harden suddenly comes available, and get beat out by another team because you dont have a quality draft pick to offer. Oh, and Morey should be shooting for 2014 picks if they are available. That draft already has some talent that scouts are drooling over already.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If NY is serious about winning a title they under NO CIRCUMSTANCE even think about trading Chandler. He's the straw that stirs the drink up there in NY. Just dont bring his name up again in trades please.

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Really? Really?! That contradicts almost everything we are going for.

7. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

can we not turn this into talking about tyson chandler?

As for morey, I'm glad he's putting up this smoke screen, but it begs the question: At this point, do any other GMs in the league buy his BS about standing pat etc? I would have to think they all know he will work to make a move if there is one available.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

so get rid of mook before royce crybaby?

9. Nook

Nook Member

Like a few others said, Morey is always looking to get better and make a move. My guess is that he has learned to bite his tongue after seeing how Martin played after the aborted trade, and how the team responded poorly to rumors in the past.

If Morey can get an elite running mate for Harden he will, but I don't see Love or Aldridge being moved. So that leaves lesser players like Milsap and that isn't happening.

I have to think there will be moves where our 4's are moved and possibly Douglas.

10. jocar

jocar Member

^this rite chia, plus PatMook for another pick.

11. Nook

Nook Member

No interest in Chandler. Morey had a deal to get him a few years ago and it fell through. Chandler is over paid and is too old.

12. Raven

Raven Member

I doubt it. The news owners will probably hope a change of scenery improves his attitude.

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

^THIS! After acquiring James Harden and getting a fresh start, Daryl Morey's plan is pretty evident, and that's to be a major player in free agency. The main goal is to get that 2nd max contract franchise type of player to pair with Harden. He will definitely be patient. Plus, it doesn't matter what position he plays, Morey will take a shot at trying to acquire a CP3 even when we already have Jeremy Lin, he will pursue Dwight Howard even when we already have Omer Asik.

14. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Every center is overpaid. He's 30 years old, he'll still be good for another 5 years.

15. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

2012-13: $13,604,188.
    2013-14: $14,100,538.
    2014-15: $14,596,888.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/765/tyson-chandler

well that's what his contract looks like going forward, so you decide for yourself if he's roughly 6 mil a year better than omer asik

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

You need to have cap flexibility just in case..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

One thing that I can say for certain is Morey will not act out of desperation.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Been there, done that. - DM ;)

He blew this team up last summer to set ourselves for the future. We have the primary piece. All we need now is another one and we'll go from there.

"In the league right now, you'd have to have at least 2 superstars to become one of the contenders."

19. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

“I won’t be picky about position, Morey said. “I’d be picky about quality.”

Mental quality I hope.

20. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Save the cap and get rid of dead weight. Acquire draft picks in exchange for delfino and Douglas, have 22+ mill in cap for later. Lets play the rookies for once since this season is worthless. Draft a tall ATHLETIC above the rim player for once instead of undersized power fowards.

Problems will solve themselves