1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey given permission to spend into the luxury tax!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, May 12, 2019.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

You'll probably get dinged for this here, but I think you've got a point. Harden's not getting any younger, nor realistically any better. How long should he wait for Morey to find a barn Ferrari in the junkyard?

Lots of players, including that player that a lot of you want to see over here, 'General Soreness', would've whined their way into a trade by now.

Reeko likes this.
  2. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

lmao what ? these are literally the only contenders in the league aside from the bucks

3. jowman

jowman Member

Ok.. but golden state is over the lux tax right? 2/4 best teams in CF spent over lux tax. 2/26 did not spend over lux tax( if u want to put Houston on top 4 over Portland)
    Personally if we want to say Boston and OKC are overrated by media, then we are too. Results are what matters. Portland made cf finals without Nurkic. That says something . Stop making excuses for Tillman and morey. We are neither good or lucky enough to further limit ourselves with the cap. But hey I guess most of you care more about saving the owner money than winning.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

While we caught some breaks with the Warriors losing a couple of key players, I don’t think the stars aligned regarding being able to sign or trade for a top level talent.

Something tells me the Rockets will be able to upgrade the roster fairly significantly this offseason. Won’t be easy and it’s not a foregone conclusion, but I think Tilman is pissed enough to open the wallet. Also think the Rockets will have a free agent or two willing to do what it takes to get here.

5. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

Mediocrity? When was the last basketball game you watched? It wasn't in the last playoffs round, that's for sure,

6. mastan

mastan Member

Morey given permission seems a crude joke... Rockets cannot even keep the current bench..only Nene is under contract...they will have hard time if they choose to keep current team let alone improve on it ...by going cheap they gave everything away Ennis...draft picks everything for nothing.

7. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I like the idea and I know you know your way around the cap, so how do they do it? They have to trade, and take back more salary, don't they? Whom do they swap?

All of those tiny trade exemptions expire this year, right?

I'd love nothing more than, say, swapping Capela and anyone sans Tucker-Harden for AD, but why would NOLA do that?

8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

No, he's right. If "mediocrity" is defined as, won't win a 'chip. None of those teams besides the Warriors are winning a chip. I love the Blazers, I want them to win, but the Warriors are winning in exactly as many games as Silver wants them to. And, shoot, the Rockets beat on the Raptors in the regular season. You really think the Warriors will struggle with them, should the seas open, the heavens crack, and they beat the Bucks?

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Well we have no cap space so it’s a bit of wishful thinking on my part. That said, for example, if it was Jimmy Butler he would have to opt into his final year and we would have to trade for him as it would be agreed to in advance.

It’s pretty much going to have to be upgrade through trade, I just think the team is going to do all it takes to make it happen.

When speaking of other guys making their way here, I’m obviously assuming they take less to come here. It’s not really likely imo, but it depends on who it is.

A lot of rumors right now, but I don’t put much credence into those happening.

We have several trade exceptions not all expire this year. Here is a great breakdown by @RobKsports

Not sure if these could really net you much of anything...

I think the run it back squad will not all be together, but like I said, that’s more gut than anything.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

"GrEeN LiGhT tO bUsT tHe BuDgEt"

ryano2009, luckyman76, JuNx and 4 others like this.
  12. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

hehe

J.R. likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

2nd straight offseason that’s looking like a total bust. I like getting Rivers and House back but if you add no real additional pieces, like it looks like they’re about to do, then that is a total bust. Morey seems perfectly content to do exactly what he did last year and roll into the season with weak depth.

JW86 and PeterKingX like this.
  14. smp

smp Member

Wait for FA period......Wait for trade deadline.......Wait for buyout market.......wait until next season......repeat.

I wonder if we will accidentally get under the tax threshold again this year too.

slothy420, JW86, PeterKingX and 3 others like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Also tilman to Morey

"Just kidding"

PeterKingX and Jontro like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

You dont wanna pay the lux and just make the playoffs lol

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

tilllmen is happy just to make the playoffs and profit. i don't blame him, but as a fan, it makes his product uninteresting.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Time will tell if he's a bad owner or a cheap owner, but he DEFINITELY wants to win a title.

Jontro likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It’ll just be a fluke. Don’t worry.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think he knows we're not winning, hence the luxury tax savings and bullschitte lip service.