1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Ariza worth the money on defense alone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Artesticles, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2009/08/when_daryl_more.html

Morey's quote on Ariza stands out to me. I knew Ariza played good D, but perhaps even I am still underestimating his D. Morey and his staff have obviously done some work on him with video and statistical analysis. Really looking forward to seeing him with Battier on the court, though we'd probably also do a lot of mixing and matching to make up for the lack of defense of our other players like Brooks, Andersen, and Budinger.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If they decided Shane Battier is worth more the money his getting paid, primarily on the stength of his defense, why not Ariza?

3. Strawman

Strawman Member

What intrigues me more from this post is that he said Shane is a leader of the team. Does that shoot down his trade rumors?

4. vince

vince Member

Well, we might just put up an all defense and no offense team.

Battier and Ariza aren't going to be scoring like the Rockets will need.

Where will Yao's and McGrady's points come from; if McGrady doesn't get back until after December, and Yao is out all of the season?

5. kaninthy

kaninthy Member

the majority of the scoring i see is going to be on the break like a gs or suns offense but with a heck lot better defense. luis and brooks will be our top scorers

6. Oz Rocket

Oz Rocket Member

I think carl Landry will play a much bigger role as well this year.

Although david Andersen will hopefully be a solid pick up i expect foul trouble early on in the season.. Much like Scola did in his first season.

7. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

If Shane is going to be traded, it's going to be right AT the deadline. Morey is a straight shooter but in this case this is something he has to say as Shane and Luis are the two most consistent players on the team and give you the nightly effort that defines this team. It's going to be a long, long season.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unlike the playoffs, great team work alone can win a lot of games during the season.

The Rockets can score with good ball movement and intelligent play. It won't win playoff series, but it can keep you competitive and win a majority of games in the regular season.

9. YourSecretLover

dont overlook the chuck wagon! we could still be the better defensive teams in the league.

Chuck Hayes will manhandle Ron Artest when Artest tries to go to the post

10. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Ariza will play a more aggressive role compared to when he was a laker.

Scola will average about 18 points a game.

Brooks will have games of him scoring 35 and some games where he will go 4 for 18.

Anderson will completely suck balls for atleast the first half of the season then be average the second half.

Battier will average about 9-10 points a game and obviously lead on d.

This team has plenty of potential but with Ariza, Brooks, and Anderson we just don't have enough maturity which will lead to a very inconsistent team.

11. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Brooks and Scola. That is obvious and has been discussed at length in this forum for the whole off-season.

Brooks will need to play facilitator and use hie quicks to drive. Knowing Scola, he'd be available for Brooks to dish off to. They will be our leading scorers. Will they have the juice to ump out points like Mac/Ming? Most people would say no, however we will just have to wait and see what Brola can do.

12. dragonz

dragonz Member

Budinger, Mark my words

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What intrigues me is he didn't say McGrady was a leader.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree with Morey, but you can't have both Ariza and Battier on the team, IMO..that is $15 million locked up in defensive wings.

Trade one for an offensive player.......for contrast.

DD

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah but he didnt say Yao was one either, so we can assume he was talking about the current healthy roster

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yea, Ariza is an underrated player. He got some publicity in the playoffs but mainly for his hot shooting streak.

I think sometimes fans are blinded by a role player who is athletic because they think that's all he is. Ariza is another defensive hustle player along the lines of Hayes and Battier, he just has the added advantage of long arms and quickness.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey can't do that, because otherwise it would get you angry that the "offensive player" he trades for is getting minutes and shots over Chase Budinger and you will be making 20-posts a day on the topic of "Why Adelman No Play Budinger?!!"

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes. You can. At least next season.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not if it is Maggette.

:D

DD

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah i dont think it's going to be a big problem for one year, especially if we're not going to be one of the top teams....If Shane is eventually going to replace Ariza i'd like them to be teammates first, that way shane can mentor him and make Ariza an even better defender.