1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Announcement on Yao in a few days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

From the interview posted in hsf09's thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showthread.php?t=188432

Thought it should be its own discussion since the other one is more about Patterson.

Wonder what the Yao announcement will be.

My guess: Yao will opt out with an understanding to resign a longer (3-4 years?) contract with a minor salary reduction for the upcoming season to give Rockets more flexibility for next season and to give Yao some extra security.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yao Ming might be fragile, but he is undoubtedly the best offensive center in the game today. If he resigns with us, good move.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I heard it on the radio. Not sure why Morey couldn't talk about it. Even if Yao opted out only to re-sign a different deal, you're allowed to comment on your own free agents. But I guess if that were the case (seems far fetched), maybe Morey just doesn't want to tip his hand.

He did mention in that interview that all free agent targets were either going to be sign and trades or MLE's and that whatever happened with Lowry and Scola wouldn't affect the way they pursued free agency.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sorry, still don't trust his health. At 29-30, he is more liable to break down again. Just not feeling Yao anymore. Yes he is the most dominant when playing and i like the guy, its just that he is to fragile for the game.

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Yao for $12-14 mil a year, I would do it

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Yao opts out to finally buy the warriors as part of a Chinese consortium of investors. Morey celebrates, because it's 100% Yao will not be injured again.

7. Garner

Garner Member

Yao on the cheap would be incredible and I don't know if it is that farfetched.

8. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao will pull an Oguchi Onyewu and offer to play for free next year.

9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Sign Yao to 10m for 5 years. NP NP, Morey is a genius.

10. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Man Yao seems to be th type of player if you sat down and talked with him and said "look Yao your rehabibg for mybe the nxt 2yrs make a contract with a pay cut so we can also bring in someone else to help you win a championship ring, due good these 2 3 years and we'll sign you long term"

he would do it for the wins.

11. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

This.

Only if winning a championship is near imminent would he do that imo.

1 person likes this.
  12. HoustonRockets

in the game today? he just missed an entire season. We don't know how good he will be once he is back.

13. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

i think the rockets should move on without yao....he makes building a championship roster too hard since every season he is injured

14. blink

blink Contributing Member

dear god please move away from building around yao.

1 person likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We're going to pay him a lot of money guys, hate to break it to you. It's YAO MING. You can't just go out an replace Yao Ming. Having a chance at having Yao healthy for a finals game is better than not having him at all.

16. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Yao is'nt stupid. He knows at this stage of his career and the way his body is now, he needs to take a paycut because the days of him being max type player are over.He is in the latter end of his career and the way his body is acting, no sane GM will ever give him the MAX

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

why sign him until you know for sure he warrants a contract extension? what if yao can only play 15-18 minutes? or what if he struggles with the injury when he constantly gets pounded in the paint?

what's wrong with waiting till midseason to re-evaluate yao and decide?

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I know everyone is saying we should find a center who can back up Yao. But why don't we just find a center that instead of just backing up Yao, but can take his spot instead. I mean it would be nice to have a solid back up but I much rather have a center that can actually replaces Yao. I don't know how much more Yao can hold up or even if he can actually be productive this up coming season.

So instead of just finding a backup center, the Rockets should really push hard for a center who can really be our starter. I mean if Yao is going to be playing limited minutes, might as well have him come off the bench.

19. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

That was so much easier said than done. The last time Yao was healthy, he was a 20/10 player that draws constant double team when he got the ball, forces the opponent to center their game plan around him whenever he was on the floor. Where would you find someone that can replace Yao's presence? The only way to part ways with Yao would be to change the playing style to more of a run-and-gun style like last season, and shift the focus away from inside, because you are not going to find someone that can simply replace Yao.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Yes Like you said, the LAST TIME YAO WAS HEALTHY. But he isn't. I'm not saying replacing Yao Ming entirely, but find a player that will Log tons of minutes because Yao would be limited. Plus, Yao Ming was a all star center back then when he's healthy but now...we don't even know what he would bring to the table until he steps into the court. But for now, we cannot make any assumptions that Yao will automatically return and draw double teams and dominates like he used to.

I know its hard to find a good starting center but it isn't impossible. Plus, if Houston is smart, they should find a center that can replace Yao because every season when Yao goes down, the Rockets are screwed because they don't have a center. So why not go for a center that replace Yao Ming because 1. Yao would be limited in minutes big time so the Rockets would need a good enough center to log tons of minutes. 2nd, Yao goes down year after year so we need someone that can step in and play big when Yao goes down again. 3rd, We don't even know if he would be able to play at an all star level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.