1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey’s pursuit of star players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketOrg, Oct 28, 2018.

1. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

I’ve read some post debating whether Morey is overrated and his grand plan to bring in superstar players. It’s understandble he’s trying to surround Harden with the best payers possible, and he deserves credit for trying to improve the team. I don’t think anyone can ignore the creativity to nab Harden from OKC and the signing of Chris Paul. On the other hand, and this is just my personal opinion, I think he’s wasted so many of Harden’s years in pursuit of other star players he’s ignored players that can help propel the team to a championship level. Signing Paul was great but the idea that Anthony pushes us over the top is absurd. It’s also crazy to think Butler gets us there if we have to give up both EG and Knight. So then what? We rely on MWC? Not to mention 4 first rounders so we’ve basically mortgaged off the future. That’s insane.

Here’s and idea: sign some players that know how to play defense. Sign players that can shoot to fit CMD’s system. Oh, and sign a coach that teaches defense. That’s a no brainer. Quit this damn search for overpaid injury prone superstars and put together a team that will be around for a while. Morey just overpaid for Capela and has a 34-year-old injury-prone player in Paul. These guys are locked in for a while. It’s time to pursue players that fit CMD’s system

2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Are you saying it is better to force Capela to sign QO and let CP3 walk? What can he do if the owner tell him he doesn't want to pay big luxury tax?

roslolian and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

#Bosh2Houston

ISOBall likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Straw man argument. No report has suggested that morey has offered 4 1st rounders AND eric gordon. They seem to suggest that morey is offering a poo poo platter that matches salary (knight, chriss) + 4 1st round picks.

Most reports seem to indicate that Morey is hesitant to offer Gordon and is focused on sacrificing the future for the present so he is hesistant to send out current core players.

I guarantee morey would not sacrifice gordon and 4 1st round picks for butler. If Thibs wants gordon so bad then im sure itd be a package of gordon + filler + one or two firsts.

I guarantee Morey would not sacrifice 4 1sts and Gordon for Butler.

da_juice, topfive, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly disguised we-gave-up-too-much-for-CP3-therefore-Murray-is-a-horrible-gm thread

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

way too many GARM GM’s acting like they know better than Morey around here...

Morey had a team poised to win a championship last season and that’s facts...a lot of people on here were talking about Klay>Harden or trading Harden just a few years ago...

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

1. Where is the Beef?
    None of the new addition is Beef.

2. Where is Chris Paul?
    Is Paul going to be Cp3 again? Is he going to miss 24 games this season ( like last season) ?
    If he does, this is 5-8 seed and first round exit.

Tilman has mentioned "if the first round is a struggle, .....

We will see the regression defense from Tucker, Gordon and Paul this season.

New Beefs are so important!!

#7 BigBum, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  8. LjGarci

LjGarci Member

perfect!! now say it without crying

9. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I hope so cause everything reeks of desperation with these trade talks.

10. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Wow, such an insightful intellect response. Are you quoting someone else on the board or did you come up with that ‘tough guy’ response all on your own? What a p***y!

11. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

My one fault with Morey is that I think the whole AllStar and TeamUSA thing overrides his common sense re: age and contract terms and balancing present win-now va future.

The greatest “we will never know” hypothetical is what the Rockets would have done last year - if they would have been as successful - had we won the Carmelo sweepstakes and Carmelo here one year earlier.

TheSage

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

So who are these guys we ignored? Every single year Morey has brought in non-star free agents he thinks will help the team. Sometimes it works (Ariza, EG, Luc) and other times it doesn't (Ryno, MCW). It's not like Morey is only trying to sign stars and not bothering to do anything else.

And when bringing in the superstars works (Harden, CP3) everybody's thrilled. When it doesn't (Howard), it's because Morey is only focused on superstars?

Now Morey is actively looking for overpaid injury prone superstars? Your post makes no sense, OP.

#12 topfive, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Richie_Rich and da_juice like this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Op's statement has some validity...

Morey's whole 'niche' was supposed to be his analytics... his ability to pluck undervalued gems...
    Guys like Harden, PBev, drafting CParsons and CC, Luc, etc... show his abilities...
    but the whole going after superstars and known commodities really doesn't play to this strength...
    i was hopeful that his numbers were telling him something with the acquisitions of Ennis and MCW - but I'm not seein it thus far...

Are analytics becoming too widespread that they no longer serve as a point of differential for us - as most are now using them?

i think DM is still a helluva wheeler n dealer... that 4 1sts for Tomball Jimmy looked insane on the surface - until you started to break down and realize it was including negative value contracts, which was very sly...

idk... just throwing out some thoughts...

fattz and topfive like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Morey overpaid for Capela?

No wonder you are upset in your little mind there are all these amazing roleplayers who are ready to play for vet min yet can beat superstars like Curry, KD, Green and Klay.

Yeah its all Morey's fault, he just can't find these role players who will push the Rox over the top cuz he is too busy looking for superstars! Joe whatshisname can score 30 pts on Curry, lock down KD and dunk all over Green all Morey has to do is sign him for vet min but he can't even find the guy! What a dumb GM, looking for stars no way! We got to look for scrubs and vet mins these guys are the key to winning formula!

15. xaos

xaos Member

I would agree with some of this if the Golden State Warriors didn't exist, but they do.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

When is the last time a team without multiple stars won a championship?

17. Wylo

Wylo Member

Morey is overrated not because he constantly chases stars, but because he always misses them in their prime. Harden is the only exception; other than that, from T-mac to Dwert to CP3 and Melo, most superstars that came to Houston were already in decline. Is it hard to snatch away stars who are at the peak of their career from other teams? Sure, and that's why the easiest route to building a superteam is to develop your own future star players through making the right decisions on the draft day.

Morey's draft record is B+ at best, so he has to resort to star-chasing, which really is a lost cause.

bmelo and cheke64 like this.
  18. Rocketsfan3422

Kcw and Ennis is a version flip this house. He flips these players because in our system they should over play their contract. increasing their value

19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

20. fattz

fattz Member

The over pay of CP3 is just to much => LaBron makes less than Paul & over a shorter time period. I do like the fact that he didn’t max Capela. Adding the incentives was a nice needed touch, too. Not signing Ariza was the right thing to do. Not signing Luc was a head scratching. I understand the reason behind the Anderson trade but think we should have just kept him. I keep hoping for another draft pick to blossom like Capela did. I know we trade our developmental players away for Paul which took us to the door step of a championship. I really want a bench of Bev, Dekker, Lu, Herrell, Melton, & Clark. BUT I look at our roster and see gaping holes and understand each one. I know one can’t have cake and eat it too. Harden needs help...