1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More TEA Party stupidity...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GladiatoRowdy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101014/ts_alt_afp/usvotemediapolitics?ref=nf

GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado (AFP) – A billboard depicting Barack Obama as an Islamist suicide bomber, a gay and a Mexican bandit has triggered a storm of criticism in a western US city weeks ahead of crucial polls.

The colourful poster of the US president -- under the ironic slogan "Vote DemocRAT" -- is attracting attention from media worldwide and from people clogging a local parking lot for a closer look.

"It?s beyond distasteful, and it?s disrespectful of the commander-in-chief," said Martelle Daniels, chairwoman of the local Mesa County Democrats, calling it "clearly racist and homophobic."

"Certainly (it) is not designed for intelligent discourse at all," she added in Grand Junction, in the western US state of Colorado.

Beneath the cartoonish figures of Obama -- also depicted as a cigar-chomping gangster -- are rats, labeled as trial lawyers, the Inland Revenue Service (IRS), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Federal Reserve bank.

Chuck Pabst, the local Republican Party chairman, told the local paper the Grand Junction Sentinel that the billboard is in bad taste.

"It's reprehensible and disrespectful, and that?s not what any honorable person would put forth," Pabst said. "To ridicule somebody in this manner is juvenile."

Politically, Mesa County is Republican-dominated and increasingly conservative, with several active Tea Party organizations -- which are making waves ahead of mid-term elections next month.

After two years in the White House, Obama is struggling to avoid a drubbing for his Democratic party in the November 2 ballots, and the race is getting increasingly hard-fought as the polls get nearer.

The provocative picture is the work of artist Paul Snover, who frequently posts on constitutionalist and Tea Party websites.

Snover couldn't be reached by AFP for comment, but he told the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel in an e-mail that he is "not allowed to say" who paid for the billboard.

Dennis Lucas, a Grand Junction businessman who owns the billboard, said, "I cannot tell you who it?s rented to," and hung up.

Doris Downey, the owner of a company whose parking lot is being invaded by people taking a closer look, is angry that her business is being disrupted.
    "I have no problem with freedom of speech, but I do have a problem with causing problems for others, and this is causing problems for us on top of all this," she said.

"I don't know who commissioned that thing, which I think is despicable, but they should own up to it," Downey said. "Anonymous opinion gets no respect from me."

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

why are these people such cowards?

4. Classic

Classic Member

Because you just openly disclose customer information to a person writing a newspaper article?

5. mc mark

If they have the courage of their convictions, they shouldn't be afraid to face the consequences of their actions

6. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Sick and disgusting.

I can't wait for the intolerant to die off already.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Mexicans - check
    Gays - check
    Muslims - check
    Blacks - eh... the gangster obama is more of a jab at Chicago

He left off the black stereotype, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Hrmmmm.

9. Steve_Francis_rules

They left the black stereotype off this time, but in their defense, they did get several of them here:

[​IMG]

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly, hilarious, perfect timing

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Eh, the gangster could easily pass for a 70's blaxploitation jive pimp Obama so I'm going to give them a PERFECT STEREOTYPE SCORE of 4/4.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That seriously looks like nazi propaganda from the 1930's.

Unbelievable.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I thought that too, but the suit doesn't have pinstripes or animal print, and the lack of jewelry or feather in the hat makes it more Al Capone than Huggy Bear.

Best I can give them is half-credit.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Anybody notice that the vulture on the right is wearing a hat that says "U.N." on it?

Wonder what the one on the left is reppin'

Edit: oooo

the left rat is "trial lawyers"

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Je désapprouve ce que vous dites, mais je me battrai jusqu'à la mort votre droit de le dire.

This is the price we have to pay for free speech.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What does this have to do with Tea Party?

1 person likes this.
  17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Clever disguised "I'm a Tea Party member" post.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The provocative picture is the work of artist Paul Snover, who frequently posts on constitutionalist and Tea Party websites.

I'm not surprised, after posting on more uncivil right leaning boards. The perceived anonymity of the internet provides interesting insight into what people really think. I'm not sure if it's racism or just the fear or the world changing around them or what but there are a lot of angry people out there directing their misguided vitriol at Obama mostly with racial slurs.

I remember reading a quote from a guy during the Bush/Kerry race who sincerely thought Kerry was the anti Christ, but what's going on now is beyond belief.....

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

in years past ive been in half price book stores in austin and saw a item that depicted george bush as a devil, and redneck white trash. its all the same crap and i feel sorry for the people that buy (into) that stuff.

20. mc mark

Let us know when Obama lies the country into a war and plunges us into economic quicksand.

It's not the same crap and I get tired of people saying that

1 person likes this.