1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

more mob fascism and speech suppression on college campuses

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Congress needs to cut off funding for schools that give into mobs like this. Blocking public thoroughfares and shouting down speakers is violence, and should not be tolerated. All the administrators have to say is anyone caught doing so will be suspended at their discretion.

I have to believe that even when these whiny fascists succeed in their efforts to suppress speech, it's a pyrrhic victory. For one thing, they are so god damn annoying with their repetition and screaming. I can't imagine anyone finds them persuasive.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv..._source=twitter&utm_medium=sw&utm_campaign=sw

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There has to be a line at some point that protesters can not cross. I do not agree with ever blocking a public road stopping people from doing there day to day tasks.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

After reading bigtexx's post on a Syrian survivor, and now this one... I see that republican/conservative/Trump voters really don't have anything of importance to offer in terms of discussion. Pretty sad. Unfortunately they control the three branches of the government right now... doesn't speak well for what is in front of us, at least until the next election...

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, no; global service and information economies need college grads now more than ever, and Congress didn't "cut off funding" or stop giving land grants for the century or so that universities were banning Jews, other non-whites or women to smooth the path for people like you.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Shiny, scary, inconsequential objects dangled again in one-off home video. Fearful hordes react. Malice directed as planned at universities and education. Rinse, repeat.

6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

On one hand you have a conservative author that has said some controversial things about crime -- and when even a Cato fellow calls it "polemics" and poo-poos it, it's easy to see why BLM wouldn't like it.

But how many of those protestors do you think read MacDonald's book? I know I haven't.
    Would it be so difficult to go to her lecture instead, and way more constructive, and challenge her ideas? When the Nation of Islam came to my university when I was an undergrad in the long-ago-time, I went to the lecture and brought questions I had about Louis Farrakhan and things he had said on the record about the US government, Jews, and aliens and other crazy bullshit and challenged them.

I didn't organize a mob to call them racist fascists (which they actually are) and deny them the right to speak at all.

And WTF does it have to do with Palestine? From the article posted from Commodore:

apollo33 likes this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To piggy-back on B-Bob's thoughts, why is this news? I honestly don't get it.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

This sort of behavior on campuses serves no good purpose.

9. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

At first, I thought these people are a bunch of stupid harmless college kids whining and b****ing but when you think about cultural marxism and what their ultimate goal is, all these shenanigans makes a lot of sense especially when they get violent.

10. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I agree with OP. Time to get rid of the First Amendment. Who's going to start a petition?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I am so glad that I'm not the OP. What a miserable life he must lead.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. It must be painful to hate thinking.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hi Deji,
    If you want to take this video seriously, let's go to an actual news outlet to get the story. Here's one.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-macdonald-claremont-speech-disrupted-20170408-story.html

So some students acted in a stupid manner (IMHO). Did the university condone the behavior, coddle the behavior, as the OP would have us believe?
    Well, actually, no.

"Administrators expressed disappointment and threatened discipline..." (that's from the article.)

Let's hear from the university president.

“Based on the judgment of the Claremont Police Department, we jointly concluded that any forced interventions or arrests would have created unsafe conditions for students, faculty, staff, and guests,” Claremont McKenna College President Hiram E. Chodosh said in a statement. “I take full responsibility for the decision to err on the side of these overriding safety considerations.”

Instead, MacDonald spoke before a handful of observers while the college live-streamed the event to a viewing audience that Chodosh estimated at 250 — about the same number as those protesting outside, according to authorities.

Her 30-minute talk also was made available for later viewing.

“Her presentation that is posted on our CMC homepage has already been viewed over 1,400 times,” Chodosh said. “In the end, the effort to silence her voice effectively amplified it to a much larger audience.”

So, in sum, over the last year, we had some idiots and non-students at Berkeley keep another idiot from speaking (and he has since set his entire "career" on fire, but whatever). Then we had this rather minor incident at Claremont, with nobody hurt, the University streamed the event and has posted it for all to see in all its brilliance. Okay.

Universities have 18-21 year olds acting foolish. Presidents have to maneuver through this. Film at 11.

I really don't understand why this is news. If anything, universities of today are milquetoast doormats for the establishment forces of our oligarchy. Two dustups in 1 year do not a notable movement make. But it is exploited by conservative voices to paint universities in the worst light possible, with inaccurate and incomplete reporting of what happened and what the university's actual stance was.

Cheers.

Deckard and Invisible Fan like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here is the letter from the President of the college:

I am not sure why our alt-right friends want to cut funding to the college. Was it because some of the students protested an alt-right speaker so they want revenge? I guess that's their way of justice since the alt-right hates people who think or get educated - it prevents their propaganda from working.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ther-mac-donalds-talk/?utm_term=.d3f821fd7b2a

16. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

State schools are funded (in part) with state taxes, and even then, like in the case of UT, <10% of annual budget. So the OP is mistaken if he thinks Congress can do much about how a state university is funded -- and in any case, punishing them by cutting purse strings is in itself a heavy-handed political act that stifles free debate as well. All you would end up doing is putting staff members on the dole (not that it's too big a drop in pay).

I agree it's a problem, but that's a terrible way to address it.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Thanks B-bob. I don't see universities being the problem here -- it's the students, and, as both sources mention, many non-students trying to use these things to draw attention to their own causes. I find it intellectually dishonest and poisonous to the free debate of ideas. It's also not lost on me that the same right-wingers complaining about stifling free speech would probably freak out and want to silence say, a cosmologist or neuroscientist lecturing on why their research casts more than reasonable doubt on say, the non-existence of gods or magic.

I still would never back any mob shouting down a lecturer at a university. If I felt someone was giving a lecture on something I felt was adamantly offensive -- I would attend and try to ask difficult questions to make them work for it. I don't think it's a problem of public universities or commie professors, but kids that grew up without respecting critical thinking and free debate and acting as counter-revolutionaries of the Enlightenment.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Freedom of hate speech is at risk! Oh noes!

It's the Republican hot button issue of our era, whether they're allowed to use college campuses as a platform to say all kinds of stupid, hateful **** that nobody cares to hear anywhere else.

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think you are wrong on this, who did we just elect as the president? Plenty of people are willing to listen to these types of speeches.

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

How many rinse and repeat cycles before you would classify it as more than one-offs?