1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Info From the Chronicle on Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Rockets again increase offer to keep Olajuwon
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets made a second major increase of their offer to entice free agent icon Hakeem Olajuwon to remain with the team, offering a three-year contract potentially worth as much as $13 million to their 17-year veteran center, sources with knowledge of the negotiations said today.

The team had a two-year, $8.2 million offer on the table for a week when they added a third year, guaranteeing $10 million of the contract.

Should Olajuwon accept and play all three seasons, he could be part of the team when it moves into its new downtown arena, scheduled for its official groundbreaking today.

"We always want Dream to play for the Rockets," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said. "He's one of the greatest players of all time. He showed at the end of the year he still has a lot left. He is still in the top echelon of NBA centers.

"I've spoken to him. And I told him how much we wanted him back."

Alexander, on his way to Houston for Tuesday's ceremonies to mark the start of the arena construction, was limited by NBA rules from commenting on the negotiations, or providing any details about the negations. Only the lead negotiator, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson, and assistant negotiator, Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich, are permitted to comment on negotiations.

Dawson would not discuss any details about the negotiations with Olajuwon or confirm that the team has revised its offer.

The Rockets, who have several other key free agents, could renounce their rights to Olajuwon, sign him to smaller contract or let him sign with another team in order to have room to operate under the salary cap.

The latest offer, however, could still allow enough cap space for the Rockets to sign free agents Maurice Taylor and Shandon Anderson, while retaining Matt Bullard and Moochie Norris with the "Bird rights" they have with both veteran free agents.

Excluding the cap space occupied under league rules by the Rockets' unsigned free agents, the Rockets' current roster occupies slightly more than $24 million of the $42.5 million salary cap.

"The negotiations are going pretty good," Dawson said. "We're trying and they're trying. That's why I went out to Utah."

Olajuwon has met with the representatives of the Raptors, Pacers and Knicks and has received overtures from the Heat and Jazz.

Sources said the Raptors also discussed a three-year deal with a team option for the last season.

The Raptors initially offered a two-year deal worth $9.45 million if using the team's mid-level exception. The Raptors also have a trade exception worth more than $5 million in which the Rockets could receive future draft picks without using any of their current salary cap space. In that scenario, Olajuwon could accept a two-year, $10.5 million contract.

If Olajuwon, 38, was to negotiate a three-year deal with the Raptors, it could be worth as much as $15 million if Toronto used its mid-level exception, and potentially more if the Raptors worked a sign-and-trade deal with the Rockets.

But with the Rockets' latest offer, made to Olajuwon's agent Dan Fegan last week in Salt Lake City, no team has guaranteed more than the Rockets' latest offer. Dawson met with Fegan for about an hour on Thursday and they have spoken several times since.

Any progress on signing Olajuwon could not be timed better with the ceremony for the arena construction groundbreaking scheduled for today.

"It's nice to see," Alexander said of Tuesday's ceremony. "It's 10 years since I (purchased) the club. It's nice to see that we'll be in one of premier facilities in the NBA and will be able to compete for championships for years to come."

I'll be at the groundbreaking in the morning. I hope I can talk to some people there about the Dream thing, but I doubt it.

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

2. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

This is a final offer.

------------------

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Thanks for the info oeil! If he isn't signed yet (or renounced), I'll see if I can't track down some people tomorrow and ask about it. I'd LOVE for it to be over by then so the party will be even better. [​IMG]

------------------

4. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Leave for Houston within the next hour. Might "bump" into you tommorrow,Jeff.

------------------

5. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Good. Now it's all on him. Thats a damn good offer, it shows the team truly wants to keep him. If he doesn't take this then good day Mr. Olajuwan, enjoy your money wherever you land.

------------------
    Fret for your figure and
    Fret for your latte and
    Fret for your hairpiece and Fret for your lawsuit and Fret for your prozac and Fret for your pilot and Fret for your contract and Fret for your car.
    TOOL-Aenema

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Take the freaking deal Dream so that we can get the search option back!!

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Well, you know what I look like (and vice versa [​IMG] ). Definitely come by and chat. Should be fun.

------------------

8. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Jeff,
    The key here is...only $10 mil guaranteed. We still retain reasonable future cap space with this deal.

Next year, WW $5 mil goes to Steve.

------------------
    He must have an enormous schfashtuker!
    Well, of course. That goes without saying.

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

So, like HeyPartner said, its basically 2 years 10 million if he retires after the 2 seasons? sounds fair. And if he has anything left in the tank after that, I am sure everyone would love to see him play in the new arena....and meanwhile we can get everyone else back! nice move I think...

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

We own Steve's rights so we can go over the cap to give him the max, which we will most certainly do.

------------------

11. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

<font size=6 font color="red">AWESOME!</font>

------------------

[This message has been edited by RodneyMcCray (edited July 30, 2001).]

12. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Clearly!
    However, now we will not be pushed so far over which will allow us to comfortably use the $4.5 mil exception - if desired

------------------

13. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

<MARQUEE> <font size=6>And now, introducing #34....maybe! </font></MARQUEE>

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKET!!! (edited July 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ROCKET!!! (edited July 30, 2001).]

14. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

The party will be at the site right? LaBranch and Polk? What time? I work right across from the 4 seasons at the Park Shop Mall. I got to come see that.

------------------
    Reporter asks "How close were you to the victim?" Shorty says,"Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left." Shorty - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

[This message has been edited by Wink3Cat5 (edited July 30, 2001).]

15. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

How perfect it would be to have the greatest Rocket ever send the franchise into a new era with the new arena. Please sign Dream!

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

16. tariq

tariq Member

Can't the Rockets give Hakeem an incentive based contract as well? Or will that also count against the salary cap? Some people were talking also about a deferred signing bonus.

BTW...I think a 41 year old Hakeem would still kick the butt of Cato [​IMG]

------------------

17. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Its a good deal. I would support this.

It is almost fair...

Doesnt seem like it would choke our future and it allows us to have our best player ever retire in style.

------------------
    Reporter asks "How close were you to the victim?" Shorty says,"Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left." Shorty - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

[This message has been edited by Wink3Cat5 (edited July 30, 2001).]

18. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

"I think a 41 year old Hakeem would still kick the butt of Cato"

I think Robert Parish can kick cato's butt.

------------------
    Howdy Partner!

19. Curly

Curly Member

I think Bill Walt...naa, I'd have to go with Cato.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That was funny! [​IMG]

------------------
    This signature has been shortened due to popular demand :).