1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moochie Norris?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket420, Feb 8, 2000.

1. Rocket420

Rocket420 Member

I just heard we signed him to a 10-day contract. I guess we are really hurting for a PG and looks like Francis might be out for tonight as well.

2. Steve Phrancis

3. outlaw

outlaw Member

this is the guy who was put on Seattle's injured list for insomnia right?

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I remember looking up some CBA stats a while back to see if there might be a decent forward. I remember thinking, "damn, too bad it's not a point guard we need." This guy, Moochie Norris, seemed to be in the top five of everything. Of course, it's the CBA, but who knows, he may come in and kick some serious butt. (maybe I have visions of Kurt Warner) Anyway, he might be good enough to become some decent trade bait.

5. Steve Phrancis

Don't forget where Elle came from.. CD/RT can find Gems there.. Like Randy Livingston, oh that is right he is on another team playing point.

Where is Rodrick when you need him. I wish he had been practicing shooting. If the guy could shoot 35% he could have a job.

[This message has been edited by Steve Phrancis (edited February 08, 2000).]

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Moochie Norris?!

I admit I have never watched him play, nor have I heard anything of him since he entered the draft a few years ago, but I remember he had a nice scouting report. I remember hearing great praise for his lightning quick crossover, even one continued further and compared it to that of "Tim Hardaway's". Obviously, he must have some great weakness (shooting, weak defense) that has kept him out of the league, but his handles are excellent.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Perhaps what this really means is the Rockets are getting ready to trade B. Drew.

Think about it, we need another PG? NOT !!

Unless one is traded.

[​IMG]

DaDakota

8. ArmChair Coach

Mind you, it's only a 10 day contract. This just means he will fill in until he is no longer needed.

9. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

Shooting problems? as a rookie he was a rookie leader in 3 pointers..... He was kept out of the league cause he couldn't sleep. He was really good for Seattle.... But then Payton came back, then Crotty.... He would have been a hot commidity if it wasn't for the fact that he couldn't sleep last year.

I"m really phsyced that Houston got him.. he ROCKS!

--Rocketman

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

DaDakota, I was thinking the exact same thing.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cabbage,

What do they say about great minds?

Or perhaps, we dribbling idiots just like to speculate.

[​IMG]

If we do trade Drew, I hope we get something good in return. I think Drew can be a very good PG in this league. More along the lines of Stockton or Mark Price.

DaDakota

[This message has been edited by DaDakota (edited February 08, 2000).]

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I am currently working on an honors thesis about the CBA. As part of my research, I spent a week with the Fort Wayne Fury to see how a CBA team functioned. I became friendly with Moochie, and believe me, he can play!

Mooch (as his teammates and friends call him) is an NBA point guard. He is better than many of the scrubs playing point in this league. In fact, there are perhaps at least a dozen guys in the CBA that are much better than many NBA players. Mooch is one of those guys.

Another guy who I became friends with is Etdrick Bohannon, and this guy would fit in great with the Rockets. He is the second leading rebounder in the CBA (11 rpg) and he's got some size at 6-9. He's like a slightly shorter version of Carlos Rogers, with better rebounding ability. In fact, I told him I'd love to see him in a Rockets uniform soon. Little did I know that it would be Mooch who became a Rocket.

I spoke with Mooch and Keith Smart, the head coach for Fort Wayne, about the whole "insomnia" thing in Seattle. They said that it wasn't the insomnia that got him cut. It was because Paul Westpaul had a bug up his ass. Westpaul was in his first year with Seattle and the team was not winning. He didn't want to be criticized for having a "CBA" backup for Payton, so he went out and got John Crotty. That left Mooch, who was doing quite well in his role with the Sonics, out in the cold.

Believe me when I tell you that Moochie Norris can play this game at the NBA level. I hope the Rockets keep him, and he shouldn't disappoint.

13. CaucasionSensation

No I don't think there's some manufactured story about Moochie's insomnia. I saw that in several different things and didn't disbelieve a one. Moochie even had confirmed it with his own comments. So I wouldn't assign it by any means to a conspiracy file.

This guy will be decent, believe me, better than that Devin Gray feller.

14. MrBastard

MrBastard Member

Hey, this message was written at 2 in the morning.

Is that you, Moochie?

MrB

15. 3pointer

3pointer Member

16. PhiSlammaJamma

The stats aren't on the CBA page...I don't think. So here's the complete line that I found on Norris (USA TODAY thru 2/9/00).

FORT WAYNE - NORRIS
    G 33
    GS 32
    MIN 1372
    FGM 239
    FGA 488
    Pct. 0.490
    FTM 165
    FTA 202
    Pct. 0.817
    3PM 21
    3PA 61
    Pct. 0.344
    PTS 664
    Avg. 20.1
    OR 45
    DR 121
    REB 166
    Avg. 5.0
    AST 200
    PF 76
    TO 95
    BS 9
    ST 78

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited February 09, 2000).]

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, I am NOT Moochie Norris, but nice guess. I really am working on an honors thesis about the CBA. Also, I never said that Mooch didn't have insomnia. He did. But that wasn't why he was released. The heat on Paul Westpaul led him to cut Moochie.

18. haven

haven Member

*whistles*

200 assists. 95 turnovers. In the CBA.

Does anyone else see a problem here?

19. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

But he also has a very good steals/turnover ratio, way better than Kidd, Payton, Marbury or Stevie's for that matter. Still all these stats are from the CBA, it is a different level.

I think Norris was a good pick-up. He has a solid chance to be a perfectly fine NBA back-up guard, especially when backing-up a great 40+MMG guy. He did play pretty well for Seattle when I saw him, I hope it means we move Drew. (I am not against the guy, but think we will be better for it in the long run if we add "youthful" front court depth and give most our back court minutes to Francis, Mobley & SA).

20. Greg M

Greg M Member

Those of you who had the opportunity to watch the game, how did Mooch look on the court? And pls no insomnia jokes. Thanks....