1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl Harrell shoves referee in NBDL game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Mar 28, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Montrezl should chill with the shoving.

[rquoter]Video: NBRA condemns Montrezl Harrell for shoving referee

In a statement on Monday, the National Basketball Referees Association called for the suspension of Rio Grande Valley player Montrezl Harrell after he shoved an official during an NBA D-League game on Saturday.

Following the final possession of the Vipers’ game against the Bakersfield Jam, Harrell charged in for a rebound and became tangled up with Derek Cooke Jr. Cooke shoved Harrell, who responded by throwing a referee to the floor.

“After carefully reviewing videotape and related evidence concerning this incident, we have reached the inescapable conclusion that Harrell committed a deliberate assault and battery against Referee [Jason] Goldenberg,” NBRA general counsel Lee Seham said. “Anything less than a multiple game suspension would constitute a green light for violence against officials.”

<video width="640" height="370" controls="controls"><source src="https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/c0fw.mp4" type="video/mp4"/>Your browser does not support HTML5 video. Please update your browser to view this media content.</video>[/rquoter]

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Why is he even there? :rolleyes:

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow. :eek: that ain't good.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Uh, the D-League suspending a player who is on an NBA roster for fighting has a ... uh ... chance of backfiring.

"Hey, coach, I'm ready to come back, since they won't let me play down here anymore."

I suppose the NBA should automatically apply the suspension to equal amounts of NBA games following the D-League suspension. It's probably already spelled out in the CBA that they can do that wrt Union push back.

5. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Uh oh. Suspension and a fine coming. If Dwight got suspended a game for 'striking a ref's arm' earlier this year then Harrell's probably looking at a significant suspension. He shoved him with all his might. Not good.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sounds great, counsel. By this same logic, when the NBA comes to the inescapable conclusion that an NBRA official missed multiple major calls (see L2M reports), anything less than a public suspension would constitute a green light for the same action continuing. Fair trade, right?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah won't be shocked if he never gets a fair shake from referees after this.

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Harrell had 26 and 13. I like his aggressive attitude, no reason this guy should even be in the D-League. It's a joke.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Suspend a ref because he missed a call??? :confused:

You think it's okay for Harrell to be shoving coaches & refs?

#9 J.R., Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  10. basketballholic

Very stupid actions by Harrell. He should be suspended multiple games and fined a substantial amount, enough that he has to start thinking better. You can't be a truly great player and be a hothead. Nail his butt to the wall and he might change. If you don't, the next incident will be worse.

If the players union really cares about the young guys they would be fully behind a huge fine and suspension here.

11. The Cat

I think the statement from the counsel is excessively holier-than-thou.

No, it's not okay to shove an official. I also think there are many ways to handle the situation. Perhaps internally, possibly a fine or a one-game suspension. Why does it have to be a MULTI-game suspension? Also, why does not giving out a MULTI-game suspension equate to giving a "green light" to violence against officials? Why is a 2-game suspension dramatically different than a 1-game suspension?

It's an awfully dramatic statement from the counsel for a group that demands no public discipline for their employees. Also, I never said an official should automatically be suspended because he missed one call. However, most employees (including myself) face public accountability and a transparent system of discipline if they repeatedly fail at their tasks. Professional officials do not face this standard.

That's fine. While annoying, I've generally made my peace with it. However, when a lawyer representing that group then tries to act holier-than-thou regarding discipline in another profession... it gets on my nerves. Let the NBA handle the situation as they deem fit and under the power granted to them within the NBRA's agreement and the CBA.

#11 The Cat, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

reminds me of Royce White's DLeague altercation but at least Harrell played in the NBA

14. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

What young players really need is a proper role-model and vet to learn from or emotionally, he'll end up like a Cousins who can't control his emotions many years into his career. Unfortunately, the only big man vet he can learn from is Dwight Howard, one of the most childish players in the league.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the ref could file battery charges

16. The Cat

Here's good commentary from Rick Carlisle in November regarding the NBRA's general counsel. Props to him for saying it more eloquently than I could:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ciation-in-war-of-words-over-mike-budenholzer

Same clown, second verse.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Ah ok so he is very stupid. No wonder he doesn't play. JBB vindicated.

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

These young bloods should learn from Kobe, just put up your hands and smile. What they going to do? Punch you and lose their career and get jail time?

1 person likes this.
  19. dream2franchise

That team :(

1 person likes this.
  20. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

How much bad ***** can happen in one season?
    :(