1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl and Terrence Jones: What am I Missing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drake Remoray, May 26, 2016.

1. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray Member

Why did Jones and Harrell fall out of favor in Houston?

Jones is a 11 pts and 6 rebs career player who plays hard, wants to win...

If you ask me, he and Harrell should not only be on the roster, but should get valuable time in the rotation.

Morey's insistence that our 4 be a "stretch" 4 is only hurting us. We've got two PFs who can play and help this team.

1 person likes this.
  2. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

Jones sucked. Harrell just a rookie - makes a lot of rookie mistakes, good energy though.

D-Mo is the stretch 4. But, his back is a question

3. MistaK

MistaK Member

Well Montrezl was a rookie. He is a high energy guy and if he improves, he might see some more time this coming season.

As for Jones, he sure deserved playing time in previous seasons. He had some great stretches where she showed a lot of promise. But did you not watch him this season? He regressed so much, it's not even funny. I don't know if it was due to his freak injuries or what, but it seemed like he forgot how to play basketball. Dude pulled a better Lawson than Lawson himself!!

4. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray Member

I don't want to make excuses for the two guys, namely Jones, but they're young guys still developing a bit, and having James Harden and Dwight as role models aren't helping them.

The Rockets are a team without a floor general, and I firmly believe that, individual talent aside, young players need a solid leader to look up to for leadership.

Our FO is spending time chasing talent...when they need to be trying to find leaders.

All the talent in the world isn't gonna win us a title.

But yes, I agree with you about TJones' setback. I think they both will thrive when they're given a true leader.

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Jones regressed big time from his sophomore season. There was good reason to believe Jones would improve upon his sophomore season, but the next season he was hampered by injuries and honestly lost a lot of his athleticism which was one of the reasons that made him a decent player. The problem with him now is that he's a low IQ player and he doesn't have that good of a jump shot either. He's not a good defensive player as well. I know a lot of people will point to games 1 and 2 of the 2014 playoffs, but those two games aren't my major reasons why he's a poor defensive player. He's always been pretty bad, but I hoped he'd improve and become a better defensive rebounder and become stronger so he wouldn't get punked in the paint. He has bad instincts and is just a pretty bad player. He had very few redeeming qualities like being able to handle the ball, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't know what to do with it. I hope he finds a home somewhere, but it's not here and it's clear to see why he fell out of rotation when a guy like Josh Smith does exactly what he does but somewhat better.

As for Trez. I honestly forgot he was on the roster. I can't comment on him. He has a good motor but that's about it. He makes tons of rookie mistakes which is something the coach wasn't willing to allow since the team was on the verge of missing the playoffs.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Talk about forgetting someone is on the roster. Has there ever been more contrasting seasons than Josh Smith 2015-6 vs 2014-5?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the major issue the Rockets have is that some players need more coaching than others.

Jones needs Coaching. He will go somewhere with a decent coach and he will be serviceable. Someone to install confidence into him

Rocket River

8. StrawberryJamm

Jones has post traumatic stress disorder from all the times his shots been blocked, if by some miracle he catches the ball he'll quickly pee his pants and frantically throw up a bad shot.

Trez looks to be a good 2nd round pick. He and KJ got a raw deal, they'd come in provide athleticism, hustle, make some positive plays then get pulled the second they made a mistake. This would be expected on the Spurs, the problem was the "veterans" we'd replace them with were every bit as mistake prone and brought less energy and positive plays in most cases, while facing 0 accountability for their mistakes. I honestly think trez is closer to Beasley and Dmo than most think and could see any of these 3 step up next year.

9. bmd

bmd Member

As others have said, for some reason Jones sucked really bad this year. He went from being a starter to not playing at all. He did get in a car wreck this year, so maybe there were lingering issues from the accident that could explain why he was so bad.

As for Harrell, he showed some promise, but he's also an inexperienced rookie and that's why he didn't get a lot of playing time.

10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I got ur back dude I always have liked Jones game his injuries held him back. If he is healthy I like his game the best. Everyone threw him off the ship whem Aldridge erupted in the playoffs. Not fair to ask a guy in his third year to guard an All Star playing at an elite level. Always be a fan of his game. Harrell is more one dimensional.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't know of anybody clamoring for Harrell to be gone. He plays with a ton of energy, and has some skill. But he also made a ton of rookie mistakes, which he may or may not learn from. I look forward to seeing how he builds on this season.

Jones is a different story. He doesn't always play hard, his motor runs hot and cold. He also makes a ton of rookie mistakes (mainly positioning, he's always in the wrong spot on both ends of the floor, and he is clueless to proper rotations), the difference being he has been in the league 4 years now and has shown no improvement in that regard. So at this point, me and many others feel extremely confident that he is just a basketball idiot, and his mistakes will perpetually hurt a team more than his skills may help. He also gets pushed around easily, and has only decent athletic ability.

12. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray Member

I'm with ya man.

Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a sense with a lot of Rockets fans of "well, if the coaching staff doesn't like him...and Morey doesn't like him...I guess I shouldn't like him either."

T Jones can play. I think he averaged 9 and 5 this season. He can be a contributor in 2016. Just needs the right leader.

And about Harrell...yeah he makes a lot of mistakes. He's a 2nd Round Rookie. Mistakes are unavoidable for someone drafted where he was.
    No reason to write him off.

I'd be perfectly comfortable with Jones as our starting 4 in 2016. Screw Morey and his strange obsession with the word "stretch".

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

To add onto the Jones point, him and D-Mo came in at the same time. D-mo made all of the advances in position awareness you would want from a player. He has some other major shortcomings, but his awareness has visibly improved from his first to 3rd seasons. So I simply don't buy the fact that coaching is the reason Jones has struggled to make those improvements, when his teammate at the exact same position, with the same coaches over the same time period made them.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If you don't know why Jones fell out of the rotation, then you just wasn't paying attention.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Michael Beasley was the second best shot creator on the team and D-mo can create his own shot.

16. Fantasma Negro

First off its Dr. Drake Ramoray, if you're not going to be 100% accurate don't use a novelty handle. Second its obvious you didn't watch any games this season because had you done so you'd know that Jones streak of freak injuries continued and when he returned to the court he was ineffective on both ends of the court. Knowing how Jones is, the best coach for him was a guy like Mchale that would let him play through his funk and re-establish a rhythm, unfortunately we had John Blair on the sidelines and if you didn't have a beard or wear a headband you weren't getting any burn this season. Jones can still be effective and I predict will be a good player in the future but he needs a coach that can be patient with him. I think with actual good coaching BeasGod, Jones, Dmo and Capela could be a formidable front court but we may never know. Montrezl doesn't do anything special, he's got long hair and play with effort but thats about it, he's an undersized pf that can't shoot and is easily out-rebounded but because he played with effort he was given some pt. Our roster makes no sense

1 person likes this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

I wish Ty Lawson would've worked out. Good Ty Lawson could've made T.Jones a borderline max player but we got Tywon instead :(

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You're missing the fact that TJ has become basketball r****ded and Trez has been BJ victimized.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Trez will be a good backup with a little seasoning. I hope he gets mop-up minutes much more regularly this year, but I wouldn't expect him to be a serious rotation player.

Terrence is terrified of challenging defenders at the rim, posting up on people, or shooting open jump shots. So defense pretty much treat him as an optional cover, he doesn't do anything about it, and it kills the offense.

His best-case scenario is being an elite garbage bucket scorer while playing with another big man who sucks up all the attention, and with a brilliant drive-and-disher who gets guys dunks and alley-oops regularly. In other words, idealized versions of Harden and Howard. Unfortunately, neither of them played up to their ideal scenario this year so Jones mostly just got the shots he created for himself, which weren't good, and so he shot 45% and lost all confidence.

He needs a change of scenery.

20. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Terrence Jones is inconsistent. I never liked him and he always got exposed by elite power forwards.