1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Modesto Bee] What does acquisition of Artest mean for Hayes' role with Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

What does acquisition of Artest mean for Hayes' role with Rockets?

[​IMG]
    Houston Rockets forward Chuck Hayes (44) makes a pass while being defended by Indiana Pacers guard Marquis Daniels during the second quarter of an NBA basketball game in Indianapolis, Tuesday, Dec. 26, 2006. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
    AP

By RON AGOSTINI
    ragostini@modbee.com

last updated: August 10, 2008 03:07:19 AM

Chuck Hayes' summer had proceeded according to plan: a week-long big-man camp in Las Vegas, an appearance at Tayshaun Prince's clinic in Lexington, Ky., and, of course, daddy time with 16-month-old son Dorian.

What was unplanned was a text message from Houston Rockets teammate Tracy McGrady.

"It said, 'We got Artest,' " Hayes said. "I thought at first it was a joke. Then I thought, 'We had to trade somebody. Was I involved?' "

Hayes, 25, remains a Rocket, though his role surely will change now that Ron Artest -- the notorious ex-Sacramento King -- switched teams last month. Artest, a versatile scorer and one of the NBA's premier shutdown defenders, makes the Rockets a potential three-headed monster with Yao Ming and McGrady.

Where it puts Hayes, however, won't be known for a few months.

Here's what we know about Modesto's connection to the NBA:

He's one season into a four-year contract worth $8 million.

He's started 87 games over two seasons, a remarkable feat for an undrafted player who parlayed a 10-game contract in January 2006 into full-time NBA employment.

He's an undersized 6-foot-6-inch power forward who was forced into even more thankless work as a center last season following the foot injury to Yao. Hayes averaged 20 minutes, 3.0 points and 5.4 rebounds while fighting through dramatic size and height disadvantages.

He'll adapt to any situation.

Like Kentucky said about him in its All-American promotion four years ago, "All he does is win."

Sure enough, he carved himself a place in the NBA against all odds. Who's to say he won't survive in the Rockets' brave new world with Artest?

Besides, Hayes likes the Artest trade. He may not love it if he loses his job but, for now, he -- like the rest of the NBA -- thinks the Rockets have upgraded dramatically.

"He will bring skill, leadership and an attitude that we need," Hayes said Friday during a telephone interview. "He'll take a lot of pressure off Yao and T-Mac, and now Shane (Battier) doesn't have to guard the other team's best scorer every night."

As for the ex-Modesto Christian High Crusader, he'll accept whatever assignment coach Rick Adelman hands him. After Yao went down last season, Hayes logged time in the post in a three-way rotation with rookie Carl Landry and Luis Scola.

All of that changes this season. Suddenly, the Rockets' roster is overloaded with forwards, a glut they partially corrected last week by trading Steve Novak to the Clippers. The Artest acquisition means the Rockets will try to win right now. They won 107 games the last two seasons but twice fell in the first round of the playoffs.

"I'm all for this trade. We have one of the top big threes in the league with Tracy, Ron and Yao. You can't get much better than that," Hayes said. "I don't think we can creep up on people, but we can be one of the top teams in the West."

That said, Hayes' dance card is full. For all his attributes as a solid defender and a master of all the unsung duties that must be done to win, he's also labored on offense. Foul trouble and poor free-throw shooting also dog him.

Now that the Rockets have committed to a major playoff push, they'll demand more from Hayes.

"I have to stick with what I do. If I have to be a little less unselfish with the ball, I'll do that," he said. "I really want to be consistent. Last year, I'd have a good game and then I'd fall off the next three games. I want the team to know they can depend on me every night."

I'm guessing here, but I think Hayes sees himself as an island of reliability on a potentially combustible team. Picking up Artest accents that chemistry. Yao hasn't finished a season in three years. McGrady is pushing 30. And Artest is, well, Artest. The Rockets could either fly to the moon or blow up on the launch pad.

"He (Artest) is a pro. It was fun to play against him. He had his moments against me, and I had mine. Whatever happened to him in the past, he's been around for a long time," Hayes said. "He's made mistakes, and he's owned up to them. He's a different man now."

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nice read. Everybody kind of forgets about Chuck with the 700 forwards we have. It's nice to know he's a humble guy that just wants to win and won't complain about his minutes reducing.

He'll be an excellent situational player in those line ups where Artest gets minutes at the three and if there's a PF that Scola or Landry can't guard. Scola is scrappy and Landry is better than advertised defensively, but Chuck does embody consistency and reliability in his role. Sure, consistency is somewhat easy to provide when you're not asked to score but just having a guy that you know you can insert in a line up and have his impact immediately felt is a nice luxury to have as your 12th man.

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Hard working, great attitude, community minded, loving parent, fun guy... What's not to liked about Chuck? :) I think he's going to make important contributions to the team next year with his relentless defense and rebounding. Next to Yao Ming is where he belongs.

4. Albert Einstain

it means that hayes is more important and untradable for us in the event that artest is mad once more.th eonly guy who can restrict his mad behaviours is just hayes who is the only guy as strong as ron.

5. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

lol u think there'll be a what, chuck artest locker room melee? :p

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Uh, what? Aside from his locker room speech last season, there's been no sign of Chuck being the pillar of strength a team needs to keep Artest controlled. I don't know, have I missed something?

7. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

8. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

9. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

10. Chamillionaire

if he was 6`10, he`d be starting.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The role of Chuck Hayes is to team up with Dorsey and Harris to enforce the orders when Yao calls Code Red on Artest.

[​IMG]

12. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

If Chuck was 6'10 he'd have a much more lucrative contract. Love the guy.

13. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

I think he is worth more to the rockets than what his trade value is. So I don't think he will be shipped out. If you see Dorsey getting more pt in chucks role at the beginning of the season don't let it fool you. Could be an attempt to get his value up for a trade. They know what they have in chuck. 12th man of the year!

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

15. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

or if he could make lay ups.... or even free throws.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

17. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Contributing Member

18. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I think Chuck still has a place on our team. He's very effective in short bursts, and he still plays great defense. With Yao and Scola starting, and assuming a resigned Landry, having Chuck, Dorsey, Landry, Harris, and possibly Deke all ready to come off the bench makes us one of the deepest frontcourts in the league.

19. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

If Chuck was 6'10 with similar athleticism, he'd be one of the best rebounders in the history of the game. He'd be a super David Lee or the next coming of Dennis Rodman, maybe better.

20. Pringles

Pringles Member