1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley wins "Who's Got Game?" Contest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ace, Dec 25, 1999.

1. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Cuttino just beat GP, Cassel, Finley, Dickerson, Christie, Joe Smith, Detlef Schrempf, and Shawn Kemp today at a game where the player has a chance to show their skills.
    Well, Cuttino has tons of talent. Obviously. He looked really good out there. It just shows you how this guy can beat a lot of the great players when playing one to one.
    Hopefully, he'll be able to play a little bit under control in the (near) future. This guy really has a bright future, and this just supports that argument.

You're right, Francis3...I forgot about those guys.
    ------------------
    Francis+Charles+Dream-Pippen= Rockets 2000 NBA
    Champions

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited December 25, 1999).]

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah i saw that. Also Damon Stoudamire and Cliff Robinson were in it. Cuttino was doing great, He got first place prize of 50 thousand dollars. Great job by him.

3. wgray

wgray Member

yea that was cool to see rock on mobley

4. alaskansnowman

That must be Cat's 2nd victory in Hawaii, or the contest on NBC was not live. Back in late summer, my friend told me that Cat was a lot better. He told me cause he said that Cat won some tournament in Hawaii. Now this was in the summer that he told me this. So either the thing on NBC today was just recorded from a few months ago, or this was Cat's 2nd victory. I think that this <strong>was</strong> just a recorded program because during an interview, Sam Cassel said that Cuttino was the "sleeper". Now, why would Cat be the sleeper if he had already won some tournament in Hawaii?

5. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Cuttino has a sprained knee so I'm pretty sure it was pre-recorded.

6. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

It was prerecorded. I remember Lisa Malosky saying Cuttino won the "WHO GOT GAME" contest on WB. AND if you noticed during the show they said this was the FIRST ANNUAL contest. That just proves that there weren't two contests.

7. alaskansnowman

Yeah, and plus Bill Walton was back covering the Knicks vs. Pacers game today. So it was definately pre-recorded.

8. dream_team

dream_team Member

pre-recorded or not... that's not the point! Cuttino's Got Game!

btw, it seemed like he was the guy that wanted to win the most... he was also the only guy getting paid the league minimum in the competition. $50,000 must've meant more to him... good to see 3 Rudy Picks in the game.

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Anyone think Cuttino has the potential of an MJ if he learns to control himself on the court more and make better decisions?

OK, let the reaming begin.

------------------
    There is no offense without a good defense.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Pimp-

Potential to be the next MJ - No
    Potential to be a star player - Yes

I am one of the few people who really likes Mobley's game. I know most people assume the future of the Rockets is Francis, but for some reason I feel it may eventually be Mobley. Francis surely has better skills, but Mobley consistenly plays with great heart. He does do some crazy things on the court, but so did CB.

I just hope we keep Mobley and don't trade him. I'm not taking anything away from Francis, I just feel Mobley is something special.

Once Mobley plays more under control, I think he can be a star, but he also needs to become more of a team player on offense. I do agree he likes to go one on one too often, without looking for his teammates.

11. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Mobley has to understand the game more. But i think he will be a really well known player. I wouldnt trade him. I think with Francis and Mobley we have one of the best 1 on 1 players in the nba. RIght now they are young but they will start to learn as the year goes on.

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

4chukie, I guess I should have explained my statement a bit better and highlighted my words.

I said Cuttino has the potential of an MJ not to be the next MJ. Let me explain.

I belive he has the skills to be the go to guy on this team. He has the quickness on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. He obviously isn't afraid to jack the ball up 20-30 times a game. And he is very emotional when it comes down to game time. The one thing that is holding him back from breaking out is his decision making.

I saw something today on ESPN about MJ. I think Isiah Thomas said that MJ came into the league and made his mark by working hard in the offseason and learning to make the middle distance shot(10-15 ft). For a player that has the quickness to beat his man off the dribble as often as MJ and Cuttino can, that middle distance shot is going to be a high percentage shot.

I feel very strongly that if he would concentrate on getting another 3-4 feet closer to the basket on the majority of his shots, he could easily be a 20-25 ppg player. Yea, I know that is a bold statement, but I have been watching his game more than any other player on our team this season and his shooting is suffering because he settles too often for the long range jumper and 3 point shot.

I guess I should have used the word star...as there will likely never be another player as dominant as MJ.

------------------
    There is no offense without a good defense.