1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley is crazy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Francis, Aug 4, 2000.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Why did Mobley sign a 6yr deal worth 32million and he could have signed a 2yr deal
    get his birds rights then sign a 7yr deal worth 93million like Rose did?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because if he gets hurt in the next 2 years, he still gets paid...security, my man. Security.

DaDakota

------------------

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

4. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I agree with Lil'Francis. Mobley is freaking nuts. But that has nothing to do with the contract. I think he really is nuts. At any moment he could don a cotton candy afro and start attcking the Power Dancers with that shirt bazooka.

Just a thought [​IMG]

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

5. jaworski2000

jaworski2000 Member

Cuttino Mobley is a class act. For Mobley, it wasn't about signing for the max. It wasn't about making lots and lots of money. It's about playing with his family (The Rockets) for a long period of time and returning them the favor. Afterall, he was a little known second rounder, and the Rockets drafted him, gave him a break and brought him to where he is right now. So by expressing his gratitude to the organization he signed up for a long term deal.

------------------
    President of the Sir Charles Barkley Fan Club

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

ya ya but still their is loyalty and being crazy......a 6 year deal for only around 5 mil a year seems kinda crazy..... not just because of the money... it seems crazy to me for anyone to sign long term with the rockets when they dont even kn ow if the rockets will be in town that long

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

How about this possibility: Mobley knows what it's like to have no financial security. He knows life is fragile. He takes nothing for granted. He's never been a superstar. He's well aware that he was 15 or 20 picks away from not being drafted at all. He saw what happened to Matt Maloney. When he sank his first game-winning 3 two years ago, and the media shoved their cameras in his face in the locker room afterward, he said (in a tone of totally circumspect seriousness) something like, "I'm just trying to learn how to play in this league." He saw the game of musical chairs Toronto was playing with him and Croshere and Lewis and others. He saw in front of him the chance to be absolutely financially secure for the rest of his life. He realized (shockingly, for an NBA player) that the difference between $30 million guaranteed and $8M guaranteed -- particularly when you're in a workplace that respects and makes the best use of your talents -- was a hell of a lot more noticeable to any normal human being than the difference between $30M guaranteed and $50M contingent.

Maybe Mobleyy isn't nuts. Maybe everybody else is.

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Fantastic Post Will!!!

I couldn't have said it any better.
    The world (especially the US) is so into material things. Money can buy you lots of things like, Planes, Trains and Automobiles [​IMG] but Money cannot buy the most important thing in life. INTEGRITY

Tim Duncan and now Cuttino Mobley have shown CLASS by not "shaqing" [​IMG] up with the highest bidder. It is refreshing to see that some athletes have their priorities in order.

And I do think everyone else is nuts.

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life."
    ---George Carlin

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Welcome back Will,

I remember when Mobley was a rookie and you were one of his supporters. I thought you had slipped from the fold of late. It's good to have you back.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

10. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

this would be a great opportunity for someone on this board (without much of a life) to research all of the posters who gave Mobley a hard time about being a "traitor" and all about the money....

great take, will.....

------------------

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

yeah, he's so crazy. He signed a contract guarunteeing him over 30 million dollars.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

This is probably how it went down...

Mobley went out and explored his options. He got good offers, but not the max(probably close to what the Rox offered). Like Dakota said, he got a good long term contract that will provide him with financial security. Once that contract is over he will most likely have proven himself worthy of a max contract and probably will get it.

------------------
    "I've been licking this carpet for hours and I still don't feel like a lesbian!"