1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley critics :Stop and think

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Jul 18, 2000.

Tags:
  1. ScreamingRocketJet

Fella's...this Mobley bashing is pretty pathetic. Look at our back court for next season:

S Francis and S Anderson

Now...just think about that.

Okay...I was going to leave it there, but I am sure some people won't get the point. The point of course is that BOTH of them WALKED OUT ON THERE TEAMS AND WE LOVE THEM FOR IT.

If Mobley walks out on us, then it's just the way things go. You can't cheer for one player... and yet criticise another for basically the EXACT same thing.

I love reading these boards, have done for two years, but I really can't understand the hypocrisy sometimes. All these Pippen haters...who love Franics. Doesn't the irony ever strike anyone else?

You know, I remember an interview with Shawn Kemp where he stated "I don't care if I play for the Cav's or the Sonics...I play for the logo on the shirt. I play in the NBA" In other words, he plays for whoever pays the dollars.

At first I really lost all respect for Kemp when I read that. Now, I just think 'at least he's honest'.

------------------

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ummmmmmmmmmmm

For Starters, the Anderson situation is exactly the opposite of the Mobley situation.

If Mobley leaves he leaves for big money. Shandon left because he WANTED to play in Houston and took less money to do so.

Francis said before draft day "I will not play in Canada, don't pick me Vancouver" - well a whole debate can be raised over whether or not he has any right to say that, but the point is not that he said "Rahim has a fat ass and is lazy and I hate the coach" - no, he said "I don't like Vancouver". Pipper said that he hated the rockets organisation. If that is the same situation to you then there's no use in arguing about it.

But on the other side of the coin, we are HOUSTON ROCKETS FANS. Do you really expect us to think "damn this Francis guy, I hate him for criticising Vancouvers weather" - no! We'll take him and be loyal to him as long as he's a rocket! Or should we be angry with Anderson because he said "screw Utah, they can keep their starting spot, I'm off to Houston" - could he have done anything MORE to make us love him???

Heck I hate Mobley as it is, I only support him because he's in a rockets uniform, should he leave I'll be the first to tell him to mind the door on his way out - then I'll have no reason not to hate him!!!

------------------

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

I gotta disagree with you on why Mobley leaves. I think if Cuttino leaves he'll be leaving for the same reason Shandon left, to be in a starting lineup.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Mobley leaves for playing time and/or winning, and not about money, I respect him for it. If he leaves only for money. I'd have a greater respect if he was to leave for the 2.3 exception (but that's not possible, cause he's restricted). My beef with Mobley, is he's just not as good as he thinks he is, and is better off the bench than as a starter.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Anyone who can put the ball in the basket can start in this league. In a low scoring era its critical to have somebody who can score. Even if it's shooting like 40%. Scoring adds a lot to any team. Mobley can do that. And he will get better with age. He's a starter, and I almost hate to say it, but if I'm him I leave too. There is no place for him here. His game won't get better. He needs to step out and see if he belongs. I think he does.

Toronto is the best fit for him. Putting him in Toronto makes him an instant winner. They can play a little more inside out with Vince Carter and KEvin Willis. It should work nicely. They have a nice offense over there. Mobes gives them an extra playmaker at the end of games. Which they needed badly.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Huh?

This is false.

------------------
    I Hate Every Bone in Your Body But Mine

7. haven

haven Member

No, he's not better as a starter. A starter needs to have a well-rounded game, and SHARE THE BALL. Mobley does not.

Instant offense is well-suited to coming off the bench... generally, there isn't another go-to option, and it's hard to find points. Mobley fills that hole. But that doesn't mean he should start.

------------------

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I respect him if he leaves for money too cause I know that is probably what I would do too. Thats a lot of money. I hope he has good business advisors and doesnt throw it all away.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

9. ScreamingRocketJet

Dr...good to see you overcoming your speech impediment. That slur can be overcome with time...so keep making your point strongly mate and those 'ummms' will go away...:)

Now, the Anderson thing is no different to Mobley. Both were no-ones, second round picks that there clubs took from nowhere and made into NBA Starter calibre players. Hate the Jazz all you like, but they really gave Anderson a hell of a good break and he repaid them by bailing the first chance he got. Okay...he loves Houston...but the point is he got out without showing any loyalty at all for the team that made him.

Now, Francis isn't anywhere near as different to Pippen as you make out. They simply both used the EXACT same tactic to get out of situations they didn't want. They rubbished the team / situation they were in until any chance of a working relationship was impossible...thus forcing there team to trade them. In both instances, the selfishness of them led to there teams getting way under fair trade value in return.

Now...as I said originally, I am glad we have Francis and I am glad we have Anderson. I love the Rockets and I am selfish enough to not care how we got them.

I am also mature enough not to curse Mobley if he goes to another team...just as they did.

------------------