1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MO PLEASE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Francis, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Rebounding is more about instinct and hustle than anything. That is difficult to teach.

If the Rockets were in the Eastern Conference, I would be more concerned with their need for a "banger," but, out west, scoring is more of a premium and, with few exceptions, the tendency with the power forward spot in the west is a guy who can get up and down the floor and score in the post.

Taylor fits those requirements. At least with a guy like Taylor, Duncan, Malone, Baker and others will have to work on the defensive end.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Even if we got Taylor, the starting lineup would be:

Hakeem
    Taylor
    Walt
    Shandon
    Francis

Mobley and Cato would come off the bench.

I would say, if Dream could stay relatively healthy and we acquired Maurice Taylor, that our record would be somewhere around 48-34.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Quarterfinals)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000978.html

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thanks Cat. I knew I wasn't the only one
    who thinks that lineup could win almost 50
    games. You are one cool Cat.

4. Since75

Since75 Member

I'm new to the board, however, I've been reading the posts for several months now. I find this site to be very informative. I've also been a Rocket fan since 1975, thus the user name. I just want to give my 2 cents on the possible acquisition of Mo Taylor. The NBA is about matchups. Eveyone knows or should know that every team can't have a superstar or stellar performer at every postion. Teams attempt to exploit mismatches wherever available. The more mismatches you have the better. Duncan, Webber, Wallace, Garnett etc. all have the advantage of being superior offensive players. Duncan an above average defender. My point is that when these players are matched against one another, they normally cancel each other out in the scoring column. Mo Taylor while not considered to be in this class, has the ability to score in the post, run the floor, shoot the perimeter j and put the ball on the floor as well as any of these guys. The NBA is also about systems. Some guys are system players and thrive in the correct system. Many people on this board feel that Rudy is a great coach. ( I don't want to stir up another thread about Rudy T so please don't misunderstand) He has a system where he wants to create mismatches on the floor with guys who can create their own shot thereby breaking down the opposing teams defense. Taylor can beat his man one on one. There are only a few forwards at his size that can do this. If the Rockets can get him they should do it in a heartbeat.

------------------

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey Smeg, you thought the Cuttino threads were bad. Imagine the threads if we actually sign Taylor?

If we get Taylor, then as an "Early Christmas Present" (see Langhi/Collier comments after draft) I'd like just a rebounding and/or defensive dude. One of those big guys that can't score to save his life, but he can grab boards/play defense/block shots. Like Feick, JYD, Foyle, Fortson, type of players. Draft or trade, it doesn't really matter.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

6. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

How about Abdur-Rahim? His 1st 3 years he averaged 37.1 mpg and 7.2 rpg. His 4th year he averaged 39.3 mpg and 10.1 rpg. That is a pretty significant improvement.

If you're one of those guys that prefers to compare players of the same position, then how about Horace Grant? In his 2-4 years (I'm even eliminating his crappy 5.5 rpg 1st year, because he got significantly less minutes than the following years) he averaged 34.6 mpg and 8.3 rpg. The following 3 years (his prime years), he averaged 35.8 mpg and 10.2 rpg.

So, yes. Players can improve. Do I personally think Mo Taylor will improve? I honestly don't know. I've only seen him play a few times a year when the Clips play Houston, so I'm no expert on the guy. I would, however, find it foolish not to use an exception on the guy to try him out for 1 year to see if he can improve our weakest position.

------------------

7. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member