1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mo and the Rockets future...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houmedman25, Aug 10, 2000.

1. houmedman25

houmedman25 Member

Well, i hope this thread doesn't turn into a 130+ post thread like the other one. Just want all the true Rockets fans to have more faith in the front office and the decisions they make. The organization has brought 2 NBA championships and 3 WNBA championships to Houston. I can see already that many people are always gonna find something wrong with what the Rockets org. does. Some people can never be satisfied. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. First it was signing Mobley back, but that was not enough. Then now Mo Taylor is not enough or in some cases not even wanted. My friends, I'm sorry but we can't have all the prizes that we may want each and every year. We all have to admit we have been very fortunate over the past 20 yrs.... Ralph Sampson, Hakeem, Drexler, Sam Cassell just to name a few. We all have our own ideas of what would make the team the best, and that is great, but they are just opinions. There is too much negativity about Mo taylor. Give this guy a chance if he does indeed come. Is anything enough to satisfy some people. We have been blessed with many star-caliber acquisitions in the past but it won't happen every year. Let's just say we will be winning championships a lot sooner than it took the Lakers to win one , which was 12 years to remind some of you. Odds are very high that it won't happen this year . Of course, a certain 6th seeded team in 95 came out and spoiled a lot other team's plans too. Let's not be so negative on this team, especially if you are a TRUE Rockets fan. it's going to be an exciting year. Good things are going to happen. The rebuilding is not quite down, but only about a year or two away.

------------------
    And tonight...From the Bank United Center...Your Houston Rockets and Miami Heat in Game 1 of the 2004 NBA Finals!!!!!

2. houmedman25

houmedman25 Member

Is if that post was not long enough, i have to add something. We only would have Mo for 1 year, signed to the exception. Rest assured Cd and Rudy will not make any kind of promises to him without having him commit to a hard work ethic around here. If he doesn't want to, he is out of here with no more financial obligation to him. The trade exception...4.5 million would expire in Oct. if we do not use it so that money will still put us that much more under the cap. Using this 2.25 million exception on Mo and him not doing well will still give us the same situation we would have been in this time next year.....with mo not coming here at all and letting our trade except. expire. No differences. If he does come in show things that a lot of the posters on here think he will not...rebounding, defense, everyone will sing his praises. Like I said, the Rockets can never do quite enough to satisfy everyone.

------------------
    And tonight...From the Bank United Center...Your Houston Rockets and Miami Heat in Game 1 of the 2004 NBA Finals!!!!!

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

wow, you have inspired me.

I will never be critical of anything again.

Especially the infallible Rockets.

[​IMG]

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

A little grumpy today, Crisco? [​IMG]

Give him a break, he makes some good points. Some of you aren't very excited over Taylor, and I understand your points. But not every power forward is going to be a monster offensively, defensively, and on the boards. We need and want all 3 of course, but we don't need to get too greedy. I feel it is very important to get an offensive-minded post man, as I have expressed in other posts a few times. Offensive skills like Taylor's are hard to find these days, and while I agree that he needs work on defense and rebounding, a large part of those things is desire. A change or scenery might do him good, because realistically what did he have to play for as a Clipper? This is a 23 year old 17-7 power forward with upside. I don't really see how he isn't great to acquire for the 2.25M exception.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Quarterfinals)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000978.html

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yeah, he makes some good points, but the post comes off as a little preachy and the topic is redundant.

I reserve the right to criticize all I want. Rudy and co have done a pretty good job so far, and I am pleased. I would not mind all that much if Mobley resigning was all that happened this offseason. That was all I was hoping for and expecting.

I don't mind the Rockets signing MO, but I say beware. His track record hardly suggests that he is the answer at the PF position as so many on this board claim.

------------------

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

He is a lot better option than what we currently have on our payroll.

There is no question...SIGN HIM.

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

medman-Was this the big secret that was coming?

Crisco-http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/007985.html Read through the thread
    ----------------------
    I'm not sure I'll be praising Mo's defense and rebounding, but if he were to get it up to average, I'd be happy. Young, proven, low post scoring, for a freaking exception! I'm hoping if we get Mo for the 2.25, we turn around and use part of the trade exception on a backup rebounder (preferably Jerome Williams....he'd add everything that would allegedly be taken away from our chemistry).

The upside of this deal is INCREDIBLE, and the downside is nearly nonexistent. If he proves to be a gem, then we have him for 2.25, the ability to resign him the next year for a nice sum, and are set at the PF slot, leaving only SF to fill (which there are plenty of in the draft, and we still have Langhi), and center, which in all likelihood, Cato and Collier is fine.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

8. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

Could it be that the Rockets don't really want to sign Mo that badly, but the front office feels that this move may help pass the arena referendum? The Rockets really haven't made any bold moves this offseason (especially not in the draft). Resigning Mobley was expected. What is to persuade the casual fan from voting "yes" to a new arena? Hardcore Rockets fans like us have followed them through the offseason and summer leagues, and we have high hopes that this team will improve. But to the casual Rocket fan, it seems like this team is no different from last year. Signing Mo Taylor would bring more excitement on paper and in the news to the Rockets, and that may be a final push for people to vote for the arena.

Another concern of mine: Supposing Mo does sign here for the mid-level exception. He has a decent season (15 pts/8 rebs let's say). I'm sure he and David Falk will demand the max if he wants to stay, especially since we have the cap space. Do we really want to make this guy the highest paid player on the team???

------------------
    I will demonstrate my clutchness this November.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

NIke, thanks for the illuminating link.

oh, and there is always a downside. But of course I'll support him if he becomes a Rocket, unless he flakes out like Pippen or Rider or some other malcontent.

------------------