1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

MN Government Shut Down

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jul 1, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mentioned this in another thread but the MN Government is officially shut down as of today as the Democrat Governor Mark Dayton and the Republican legislature have not been able to agree to a budget.

The crux of the issue is what is facing the nation as a whole where the Republicans do not want any tax increases while the Democrat will not agree to further cuts.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/124824189.html

Broken deals, bitter words and a state shuts down

Dayton renewed his call to tax the rich; GOP pointed to harm of long-term debt. The governor and legislative leaders worked into the evening in a last-ditch bid for resolution.

Talks imploded Thursday between DFL Gov. Mark Dayton and Republican legislative leaders in the final hours before a midnight deadline, and Minnesota began a historic government shutdown.

"This is a night of deep sorrow for me," Dayton said in an address at 10 p.m. that was punctuated by jeers and hisses from Republicans, including some lawmakers.

The governor said his last offer would have raised income taxes only on those earning more than $1 million a year -- an estimated 7,700 Minnesotans, or 0.3 percent of all taxpayers, according to the Revenue Department.

Republicans rejected the proposal, Dayton said, because they "prefer to protect the richest handful of Minnesotans at the expense of everyone else."

Republican leaders made their own statement, saying Dayton's proposal for dealing with the projected $5 billion deficit would cause irreparable harm to the state's economy for generations.

"We will not saddle our children and grandchildren with mounds of debts, with promises for funding levels that will not be there in the future," said House Speaker Kurt Zellers, R-Maple Grove. "This is debt that they can't afford. It's debt that we can't afford right now."

Earlier, as it became clear there would be no deal, Republicans staged a sit-in in the legislative chambers, demanding Dayton call a special session to keep the state running.

"Our guys, obviously, are very comfortable with where we are," Zellers said, standing in the Minnesota House chamber at 8:30 p.m.

The political fight that has dominated the Capitol since January now will play out in public, as both sides try to win over Minnesotans in the hope that public sentiment will force the other side to a deal.

Dayton struck a combative stance, saying the July 4th holiday "reminds us that there are causes and principles worth struggling for" and worth "suffering temporary hardship to achieve."

The union-backed Alliance for a Better Minnesota, a key factor in Dayton's campaign last year, will run radio ads over the weekend in Bemidji, Brainerd and Duluth, focusing on reaching Minnesotans vacationing at the lakes. The group also created the website www.shutdownshame.com to highlight the effects of the Republican budget.

Soon after talks broke down, both sides lifted their self-imposed news blackout and began releasing details of their final budget offers.

The GOP proposed delaying another $700 million in payments owed to schools, which would add to the more than $1 billion the state already owes K-12 schools.

Republicans also offered to issue "tobacco bonds" of an unspecified amount to cover any remaining budget gap. Sources said Dayton considered the offer, but he criticized it as unwise borrowing late Thursday.

Policy as a bargaining chip

Talks may have also broken down because an earlier GOP offer asked Dayton to accept controversial policy positions the Republicans pushed for this year, including photo ID requirements at the polls and abortion restrictions. An offer sheet provided to the Star Tribune said the policy adoptions were in exchange for "new revenue in a compromise offer."

That deal also would have required tuition caps to be put in place at the University of Minnesota and MnSCU as well as a 15 percent reduction in the number of state workers by 2015. Tendered Wednesday night, the offer would have required a special session Thursday.

Throughout a long day of negotiations Thursday, anxiety was palpable across the Capitol.

Legislators coming to the building were greeted by hundreds of union protesters, urging the two sides to break the deadlock.

Gathering on the Capitol steps, some protesters held signs saying "I am a Proud Public Worker" and "Government Shutdown -- Harming Countless Minnesotans Is Not OK." Some held babies and others umbrellas to protect them from the burning summer sun. They chanted and held other signs like "Great wealth = Great responsibility."

Earlier in the day, Dayton was spotted through his office window at the head of the table, flanked by Zellers and Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch, R-Buffalo. They sipped Diet Coke and bottled water as they occasionally passed pieces of paper and computer printouts to one another, nodding and smiling slightly as one of the participants made a point.

As the afternoon wore on, legislators admitted it was tough to keep their calm as the state careened toward a political meltdown that could cost them re-election.

Early in the morning, Rep. Pat Garofalo, a Republican who chairs the House Education Finance Committee, posted on his Twitter account: "You can't spell FAILED without DFL!"

It was a blistering attack at a time when most legislators had dialed down the partisan bickering. An aide to Garofalo said he wouldn't comment on the posting.

Dayton and Republican legislators have been stalemated since January over how to balance the budget and close out the projected deficit. Dayton largely won election on a promise to preserve cherished state services by increasing taxes on the richest 2 percent of Minnesotans. But Republicans won control of the Legislature for the first time in decades with a pledge not to raise taxes. The deep rift ignited a political fistfight that spilled past the regular legislative session in late May and dragged the state to the current precipice.

As the negotiators toiled over the details, more than 23,000 workers prepared for life without paychecks and the state began shooing people from state campgrounds and closing rest areas. Even before the shutdown, Minnesotans got an early peek at the inconvenience from the mothballing of many state services. Minnesotans could no longer check if their optometrists, barbers or veterinarians had valid licenses to practice. Licensing board offices and various other state agencies pulled the plug on their agency websites hours before the scheduled shutdown.

State worker Lori Sobczak tried to remain optimistic.

"There's frustration," said Sobczak, a two-year Minnesota Department of Transportation employee.

The fear is "the unknown, you know," she said. "Rumors are flying around; [a shutdown] could be, you know, 45-60 days. ... That's scary."

Adding to the ominous drumbeat, transportation workers were told to turn in their employee badges and take with them any plants that might die without water.

"They forget about the little guy that's working," grumbled Paul Eaton, another MnDOT employee in the permit division.

Eaton also said that, should there be a shutdown, there might not be much political pressure initially to resolve the situation.

"They go back to their, 'We're not going to give in, until you give this,'" Eaton said. "It could then be a big, long ordeal ... then that's really going to hurt."

The pressure from the looming shutdown stripped away months of polished rhetoric from both sides.

Republicans continued their almost evangelical crusade against higher taxes, but some warmed to the idea of more revenue from other sources, like an expansion of gambling, health care surcharges and other fees.

"I'm kind of interested in the revenue raisers," said Sen. Mike Jungbauer, R-East Bethel. "There's some that I would be interested in. Gambling. I hate gambling. But if you put it in the right place, I'd be OK with it."

Jungbauer said the remaining divide between Dayton and Republicans shouldn't be enough to close down government.

"We've seen the general sketch of the landscape of what's going on, what stuff is under negotiation," Jungbauer said. "And I think we're so dang close, if we shut it down I'm going to be really pissed."

As the afternoon crept toward the dinner hour, Capitol visitors got a screeching reminder of the unprecedented moment in Minnesota history.

At 5 p.m., a voice blared through a little-used intercom: "The Capitol is now closed, please make your way to the nearest exit.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

See the words I bolded in your post for the critical problem with your take.

Here you go again, equating the party that rejects all compromise with a party that has already compromised and is simply unwilling to compromise further when they're not getting anything in return.

Also, this is not a microcosm of what's happening in D.C. The distinction is that while your article indicates that Dayton has reached his limit on compromise, no Democratic party leader has thrown down the gauntlet and set a limit on spending cuts. They (and especially Obama) remain open to compromise on spending but only if the other party will compromise too and allow for some revenues from taxes on the wealthiest Americans.

When one party says it must be 100% our way or we'll let the whole thing go to hell and the other party says no you have to give us something, almost anything, you have to be just a little bit reasonable, negotiations and compromise are not a one-way street, they are not "the same." In fact, they are opposites.

You need to cut this crap out. It's not real. It is false at its core.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Honestly BJ did you even bother to read the article?

I understand you disagree with me but you seem to be on a personal vendetta now. Read my last post in the other thread.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yes, I read the article. But all I needed to quote was the bit I did to make my point. One side says "any" and the other side says "further." "Any" does not equal "further." Did you even bother to read my post?

My vendetta is not personal; my vendetta is against equal time and respect for unequal behavior. It's true that you get a lot of the brunt for that vendetta because you seem to be the main water carrier around here for the idea that both parties behave fundamentally similarly, when they absolutely don't.

But it's not personal.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've stated my piece in the other thread but regarding the substance of this one.

You are again reading way too much into what I stated. The facts of the article point out that what I stated is correct that this is about a Democratic governor who doesn't want to make more cuts and a Republican legislature that doesn't want to raise taxes. Now on the national scale we have had a situation of a Democratic president who doesn't want to make more cuts while a Republican House and Senate caucus who don't want to raise taxes. That same dynamic played out in the budget debate and is currently playing out in the debate over the raising the Debt Ceiling.

That statement doesn't mean that one side hasn't compromised more than the other, I mean they wouldn't call it "compromise" if they actually got what they wanted.

You are reading into a relatively innocuous, and factually correct statement, something that isn't in that statement based upon something from another thread where you also read way more into it that was there.

As far as the national situation we don't know yet what agreement will come about to resolve the debt ceiling, or if it gets resolved. So it is factually true that at the moment it is being held up over a disagreement over taxes and spending cuts.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This is a great victory for the GOP and the Libertarians.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Texas still has Minnesota beat as home to the most ludicrous excuse for an elected state government in the country, but the Frozen North is trying to catch up. From NPR:

Minnesota Shutdown Hits Poor; Aid Groups Scramble
    by NPR Staff and Wires

July 1, 2011

In Minnesota Friday, highway construction came to a halt, rest stops and state parks closed. And 22,000 state workers have been laid off. The reason: a protracted budget dispute between the state's Democratic governor and Republicans who control the Legislature.

In the absence of talks between Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton and GOP legislative leaders, the shutdown was rippling into the lives of people like Sonya Mills, a 39-year-old mother of eight facing the loss of about $3,600 a month in state child care subsidies.

Until the government closure, Mills had been focused on recovering from a May 22 tornado that displaced her from a rented home in Minneapolis. Now she's adding a new problem to her list.

"It just starts to have a snowball effect. It's like you are still in the wind of the tornado," said Mills, who works at a temp agency and was allowed to take time off as she gets back on her feet. But after the shutdown, she also has to care for her six youngest children, ages 3 through 14, because she lost state funding for their day-care and other programs.

Clash Over Budget, And Taxes

Minnesota is the only state to have its government shut down this year, even though nearly all states have severe budget problems and some have divided governments. Dayton was determined to raise taxes on the top earners to help erase a $5 billion deficit, while the Republican Legislature refused to go along with that — or any new spending above the amount the state is projected to collect.

Here, as in 21 other states, there's no way to keep government operating past the end of a budget period without legislative action. Even so, only four other states — Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Tennessee — have had shutdowns in the past decade, some lasting mere hours.

The shutdown halted non-emergency road construction and closed the state zoo and Capitol. More than 40 state boards and agencies went dark, though critical functions such as state troopers, prison guards, the courts and disaster responses will continue.

Revenue department worker Jenny Foster says she had given up hope there would be an agreement.

"They're just sitting there playing their games for show," she says. "I know what they're doing isn't for real. It's for show — to say that they're working. But they're not."

The financial impact of the closure is still uncertain. The state will save some money by not paying workers. But if the shutdown drags on, Minnesota taxpayers could be on the hook for millions in unemployment payments to public employees, as well as missed park fees and delays in construction projects.

A Tight Dispute On Party Lines

As frustration among Minnesota residents grew, there was no word Friday of any plans to continue budget negotiations. Instead, the heads of the state's Republican and Democratic parties blasted each other for Minnesota's second shutdown in six years.

GOP Chairman Tony Sutton called Dayton a "piece of work" and accused him of inflicting "maximum pain" for political reasons.

Democratic Farmer Labor Party Chairman Ken Martin laid the blame on Republicans, saying they drove the state to a shutdown to protect millionaires from tax increases sought by Dayton.

Dayton wants to raise income taxes on top earners to help close a $5 billion budget gap. Republicans, in charge of both the House and Senate for the first time in 40 years, say that's out of the question.

The GOP offered a last-minute stopgap funding bill, but the governor rejected it. And Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch placed the blame for the shutdown squarely on him.

"This shutdown is not necessary," she said. "And once again, we've proved that by laying on the governor's desk a temporary funding bill keeping government going for the next 10 days, while we finish these negotiations."

But Dayton said the "lights on" bill was just a publicity stunt, and that Republicans had plenty of time to help close the divide on taxes and spending.

"Anybody who wanted to avoid a shutdown today knew that there was one way to do it, and that was to accept a budget proposal that would bridge this gap," he said. "And the Republican caucuses rejected our offers to do so."

Service Groups Seek Help, And Alternatives

With the executive and legislative branches of Minnesota government at loggerheads, power has shifted to the courts for now. A judge has ruled that prisons, the state police, nursing homes, Medicaid, and other critical services must continue operating.

There will be more decisions soon, as nonprofit social service agencies that didn't make the cut petition the court for emergency funding.

Minnesota food pantries were scurrying to make sure they would still get 700,000 pounds of food — about 30 percent of their total volume — in the next two months through a federal program. Nearly 1 million pounds already in warehouses can't be delivered during the shutdown.

Colleen Moriarty, executive director of Hunger Solutions Minnesota, said the federal program's operation depends on a single state employee working in a data management system. She will ask a court-appointed referee next Tuesday to deem the worker essential.

Byron Laher, director of a program that runs food shelves in three northern Twin Cities suburbs, said the federal donations help those pantries feed 1,300 families each month.

"We're not in position to go out and buy food to replace that," Laher said.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Holy crap. That's a lot of kids.

9. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

That's $43000 a year worth of child care subsidies.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

DAMN! Someone introduce her to some rubbers.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, it would be better for 8 children to starve, and die.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

And even better to just ignore the growing problem and let everyone suffer. While mommy of 8 is is employed 43k a year to take care of her children, the state gets to the point where it can no longer pay its entitlement programs, thus making thousands and thousands of legit state workers.

Again, I know this is very difficult for you to understand as you are not considered wealthy, but when the burden is placed on the wealthy, they will find ways around the system, including leaving the state or eventually the country. You can call them greedy or whatever you want, but the fact remains there will be another state or another country that will gladly give them a home for a lower rate (taxes).

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

WOW the hyper rich have done a good job brainwashing this country. "I have my freedom in America, made my fortune off the back of Americans but if they raise my taxes i'll move to France!" Well then go and I hope you die on the plane ride over. Traitors. Sell-outs. Scumbags.

Hyper rich people have figured it out, throw money at dumb people and get their vote = dumb people get poorer with higher taxes while the hyper rich get richer and richer and richer. Rinse and repeat. The New American Dream.

14. ling ling

ling ling Member

Just like Dayton himself. He took his business out of MN to a state w/ lower tax rates. But... He wants to raise taxes on other rich people that hasn't left the state yet.

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Counted another way, we could support 29023 children for every F-35 the American Federal Government purchases, but instead could give in state aid to this purpose.

1 person likes this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The tax burden on the wealthy is the lowest it's been for more than 5 decades. Please don't act like they are in danger of taking their ball going to another playground.

The Republicans held up all legislation to make sure the wealthy got their tax breaks extended. It happened, and the economy hasn't gotten better. Those tax breaks haven't done a thing to help society, or the deficit, and debt. They have hurt those things for all but a very few wealthy people.

Nobody would have left the country if those tax breaks weren't extended. It's BS. Everyone else is sacrificing, and doing their share. It's time for the wealthy to take part in the sacrifice this country needs to help set it right.

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

What, the problem of how getting hyper rich often harms the people around them?

I posit this is the case nowadays. There are precious few ways to accumulate that much money without doing some morally dubious things that harm many.

Soros comes to mind quickly. Oil tycoons, Wal-Mart type sweatshops, financial speculators...these are the type of people you'll find at the top.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The fact of the matter is that since all of these tax breaks and cuts for the wealthy have started happening, our debt has grown, the economy has tanked, and things have gotten worse in general.

Yet people are scared that if we don't keep giving more tax breaks to the wealthy that things will go worse?

It's laughable. It's already happened. They've been getting all the breaks and nothing good has come of it.

As I've said before, they aren't going to start hiring and expanding just because they are making profits and not paying taxes. The only reason for them to expand is if people are buying what they're selling. With the economy bad, people won't be buying more. The middle and lower incomes need more money so that they can increase demand, which will then allow the investors to expand, and it will help everyone. The idea that investors (which are already making record profits) need even more money is ridiculous.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Too bad that nice Mr. Obama doesn't have the stones to make the national GOP follow suit. You know they would.

Aside from the devoted Fox afficionados it would start to show folks who is on whose side.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

guys, you're not going to get much sympathy for a mother of eight collecting welfare. and I don't know why you would even try. first of all, it is messed up that a mother of eight is living off the state, regardless of your political leanings.

second of all, its a red herring.