1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MMQB] In case anyone needed more evidence that Peter King is a hack...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Nov 19, 2012.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Who's to say he doesnt have a family or personal distractions? Everyone does.

Knowing everything about all 32 NFL teams is very, very hard...and if you rely on an intern to gather up information, there is no guarantee that they are doing their job properly either.

I think its easy to sit back and think he has an easy job because all he has to do is follow football...but there is a lot that goes into that.

2. rezdawg

We were up 7-6 at halftime and 14-9 after 3 quarters. The Texans were never in a situation where they could relax...we kept trying to score and we were not nearly as effective as we thought we should/could be. We were in a dog fight...only difference is that our defense was holding the Bills while the Patriots had trouble holding the Bills....and our offense was not effective against the Bills D, while the Patriots walked over them.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

We were up 21-9 about two minutes into the fourth quarter... that's nearly a full quarter of a non-competitive situation in which the team pounded Arian. We went for a 4th down in obvious field goal range because we didn't want to "risk" a block.

Points can be misleading in a small sample because situational things are possible. The Texans had 374 yards on 6.1 yards/play; the Patriots had 347 yards on 5.1 yards/play.

4. rezdawg

Do you think he was making up facts for the sake of filling in data...or do you think that whatever source he got his info from just turned out to be incorrect? If he was going to double and triple check every fact, then it would take months for one of the articles that he publishes weekly. You can argue that he shouldnt throw facts out there if he isnt sure...but then we run into the same issue of having to double check everything. There would be no reason for him to just randomly make numbers up off the top of his head...so I think its just safe to assume that the source of the info was inaccurate in regards to the Texans and Titans history.

On a separate note, for anyone that thinks its an easy job...I'd ask for a clutchfans edition of MMQB. There is so much more that goes into it than I think most people are giving credit for.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

6. The Cat

I think it was a simple counting error. My biggest issue with it isn't the fact that 10-4 is wrong, per se - it's the use of the ridiculous stat in the first place. As I said in the original post, that "record" includes games with Steve McNair/David Carr/Corey Bradford. How in the world is that even remotely relevant to how the current teams are likely to perform? I'd say the fact that the Texans have won 5-of-8/2-of-3 against Tennessee is a lot better indicator, especially considering the only recent Titan win came against Jake Delhomme and Houston third-stringers.

Here's what I believe King's thought process was. For whatever reason, probably a "gut feeling", he looked at our upcoming three-game road trip and thought it would be difficult. Instead of thinking further, though, or actually delving into meaningful numbers to dig deeper... he simply looked for the first stat he could find, relevance be damned, to "confirm" his own bias. The fact that he got the number wrong is just a funny side story, at least to me. The real problem is that he's not even trying to provide actual analysis; instead, he's arrogantly trying to defend his own initial gut reactions. This stuff happens with King all the time; I was just particularly annoyed today and decided to call it out. I can keep a running log, if you wish. :)

I went through six years of journalism school and have worked several sports beats... I know what goes into that kind of stuff. Plenty of folks do it well. As I said in the prior post, look at Mike Silver of Yahoo!, who has a similar column every Monday. He's excellent.

I'm not asking Peter to know everything in the world. I'm asking him to show some inspiration and focus on what he does know. He has plenty of great connections around the league, and his interviews can be very good. That's why MMQB is always an enjoyable read. However, if keeping tabs on the whole league is too difficult or time-consuming for him, then stop doing that part. Or at least try and briefly make a case involving the teams themselves.

If at any point in analyzing two teams you decide to include evidence from a game seven years ago, in which one starting QB is now dead and the other has been off the roster for six years... you're doing something wrong.

7. rezdawg

Cat, I hear you...and the reason I said, "On a separate note, for anyone that thinks its an easy job...", was because I was focusing on other, since I know your background there.

In regards to the Titans...I think he was just simply making the point that its been a historically tough match up, and not necessarily trying to say anything specifically about the players on either team, past or present. Just kind of a, tough game between division rivals kind of thing. Maybe Im not reading into it enough, I dont know.

8. Marteen

Marteen Member

I understand why you may be frustrated that other people may not have them #1 on their list... but it's his list, his opinion. Only opinion that should matter to you is your own.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Peter King is a genius.

10. rezdawg

And that Titans game...despite forcing 6 turnover and 6 sacks, was still a lot closer than I would have liked.

I think jumping on King is the cool thing to do...but he knows his stuff.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Broken clock is right twice a day.

12. David Stern

David Stern Member

this.

13. The Cat

Uh, what? He called it a road trip from hell, and the Texans won 2 of the 3, including a relative beatdown of the Titans (that game was NOT close, sorry) in Tennessee. What exactly is he getting an "attaboy" for, the 6-point underdog Texans losing at New England?

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You cried like a whiny b**** that he put the Patriots as the top team, then they proved it by destroying the Texans on national TV, and now you're back whining about what's the big deal? Shut up already.

15. The Cat

More than half of the post was dedicated to his nonsense about the Tennessee game, which he ended up being dead wrong about. Of course, that would require a ****ing idiot like yourself to have basic reading comprehension skills, which you've proven for years to lack.

16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Kelly writes for The most popular bball blog on the net and The Cat...not so much....

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Dude you are the constant homer, whiner, anti-fan, big mouth who refuses to admit whenever he's wrong. He picked the Patriots number one and you flipped about it. Now the Texans are embarrassed on national television by the team King picked number one and you're here to whine some more. You never know when to just shut up.

19. The Cat

No, I flipped because his logic was shaky and in general he was being a lazy journalist. If you actually read my posts in this thread, it's pretty clear what my biggest beef with King was, and it's still quite valid. How much did the ghost of Steve McNair and the memory of David Carr mean when the Texans lined up in Tennessee nine days ago?

And no, I'm not going to shut up because of a loudmouth, agenda-driven simpleton like you.

20. The Cat

Tell me more about my resume, why don't you?