1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLE targets for free agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree..Tyreke, is far and away the guy in this scenario. The only question is $$$$$..He's playing GREAT basketball these days....Gives us another ballhandler/playmaker....can create/finish/bust it from downtown/play big D..

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

when the dust clears the player(s) incoming will have established relationships with MVP and/or PtGd, likely both. Playing GM this summer is an interesting few weeks for DM the GM; 'they' tell him who/what and he has to make it work.

Or so I perceive w/20-20 farfocals 'pon mine schnozz.

Plowman likes this.
  3. Coach E

Coach E Member

Jamal Crawford would be best case

4. mockster

mockster Member

Tbh just adding tyreke Evans alone with no other roster changes would most likely be enough. I mean if we never lost CP were champs right now

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

There are not a lot of teams that a) have cap space and will compete for a ring b) do have cap space but are absolute crap. I've always been on the Tyreke Evans bandwagon. He's the perfect 3rd ball handler but can play off the ball wing.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Rockets should not pass up either Redick or Bradley at the taxpayer MLE if they strike out on Evans or Will Barton. Bradley is one of the best perimeter defenders in the game, and he can hit threes at a respectable rate. Having him would be like having both Beverley and CP3. As for Redick, he’s the best three point shooter in the game, the Rockets shoot a lot of threes, and you also need to be able to score to keep up with Golden State. He also isn’t nearly the defensive turnstile that Ryan Anderson is, for example.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd be surprised if Evans couldn't get at least a 2/20 deal. I think the majority of the names mentioned in this thread will probably go for at least double the tax payer MLE.

GermanRoxFan and saleem like this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We need to sign JJ Reddick if Philly doesn't pick him up. We were his close 1st choice last off-season and he only went to Philly because they gave him a huge 20mil 1yr contract.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That might be their worth. But who is paying? Not many teams have cap room. And some teams that do (like Atlanta or Chicago) are saving their space. Or are renting their space for picks.

Evans could return to Memphis for more money than the Rockets could offer. No doubt about it. Rockets would just have to hope that the team and role would make him reconsider.

Suns, Mavs, 76ers will be aggressive with their cap space.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

My favourite (and realistic) gets would be Bradley and Grant i think...other names i would keep an eye on are:

Evans, Redick, Ellington, KCP (if Gordon leaves)
    Trez, O'Quinn, Noel (if in need of a bench 5)
    Bjelica (if in need of a stretch 4)

I think few of these guys have a good chance to get more than tax MLE, maybe even more of the no tax one, especially KCP, Noel, Bradley...maybe Evans too, hopefully they'll eventually renounce to some money to come here.

I also think the Clippers and the Wolves will match offer sheets for Trez and Bjelica unless they sign something close to a 10M per year contract.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

firstly, let me say that giving part of the MLE to Luc is not a bad proposition.

but:
    1) Danny Green
    2) Ersan Ilyasova
    3) Wyane Ellington

Green is good on both sides of the ball, but Ilyasova and Ellington not so much; they're primarily offensive players. The great thing about Luc is that he's shot very well from 3pt the last two seasons, he's an excellent defender -6'8" so he's long and can guard 3's and 4's. Danny Green can't guard 4's.

And i just have to say this, Evans will be offered more than the MLE. Why do folks think that he's in the MLE conversation?

So when you look at the alternatives, Luc needs to be firmly in the conversation for MLE money.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Danny Green is opting into his Spurs contract.

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Because of their tax situation anyone they sign will end up costing 15+ mil with salary + tax unless some of the current guys take cuts.

14. anchel

anchel Member

Prince Luc. Very much doubt he accepts vet min money.

GermanRoxFan likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Will Barton
    Avery Bradley
    MKG
    Nerlens Noel
    Tyreke Evans
    Ersan Ilyasova

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He did last year.

This year he can a 120% raise on top of it. He came to the Rockets for a reason. Role and team culture. That still exists today.

sammy likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

cyberx implied some time ago of a mutual interest between Tyreke and the Rockets, with a possible meeting.
    The MLE is all what Houston has.

I think Tyreke will get a bigger paycheck with another team.

18. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

According to 2k, Ellington is a perfect fit for rockets.

sammy and ThatBoyNick like this.
  19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

lulz

"Hey JJ what if we were to offer you a 75% pay cut? Is that something you might be interested in???"

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Even if some of these players don't get any interest from teams with cap space, you can only do 3 years on a taxpayer MLE. There is a 20 million dollar difference between the taxpayer and non-taxpayer MLE's, so there's only a really, really slim chance guys like Tyreke/Bradley/Reddick would take such a pay cut IMO.

#40 ThatBoyNick, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    justtxyank likes this.