1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MLB] Reds Volquez Suspended 50 Games for PED's

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

CINCINNATI -- Former All-Star pitcher Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds was suspended 50 games Tuesday following a positive test for a performance-enhancing drug.

Volquez said in a statement he received a prescription in the Dominican Republic as part of treatment to start a family with his wife. He said the drug was banned by Major League Baseball.

"As a result, I tested positive when I reported to spring training," he said. "Although I understand that I must accept responsibility for this mistake and have chosen not to challenge my suspension, I want to assure everyone that this was an isolated incident involving my genuine effort to treat a common medical issue."

Volquez is the first player suspended under Major League Baseball's drug program since Manny Ramirez of the Los Angeles Dodgers was penalized 50 games last May.

The suspension will take effect immediately, MLB spokesman Pat Courtney told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

The 26-year-old right-hander was already out of action -- he's recovering from reconstructive surgery on his elbow and was expected to rejoin the Reds around midseason. Volquez can serve the suspension while on the disabled list, Courtney told ESPN.com, and will lose a little less than one-third of his $445,000 salary, which amounts to about $137,000.

An All-Star in 2008 when he went 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA for the Reds, Volquez was 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA last season before feeling pain in his arm in June. He twice went on the disabled list, the first time with back spasms and then with the elbow injury that finished his season.

"The Reds fully support Major League Baseball's drug policy and its penalties. The organization does not condone in any way the use of drugs not sanctioned by MLB's medical staff," the team said in a statement before Tuesday night's game against the Dodgers.

MLB's labor contract does not allow it to release which drug caused the positive test. A list of drugs that trigger positives is released after each season, without identifying which player used it.

Ramirez was suspended after turning over to MLB a prescription for a banned female fertility drug.

Volquez was the first player suspended for a positive test under the big league program since San Francisco Giants pitcher Kelvin Pichardo on March 23, 2009.

The only other players suspended under the major league program last year were New York Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre and Philadelphia Phillies pitcher J.C. Romero, both in January 2009.

There have been 16 suspensions this year under the minor league drug program.

Volquez signed with Texas as an amateur free agent in 2001. The Rangers traded Volquez and pitcher Danny Herrera to Cincinnati for outfielder Josh Hamilton in December 2007. Both Volquez and Hamilton were at the 2008 All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium.

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Wow..what a loophole that is. I can't believe he is going to be allowed to serve his suspension while on the disabled list.

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

probly why he didn't challenge it.