1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MLB NEWS] Angels Pitcher Tyler Skaggs Has Died

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Jul 1, 2019.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died Monday, the team announced. He was 27.

There was no immediate word on his cause of death.

"It is with great sorrow that we report Tyler Skaggs passed away earlier today in Texas," an Angels statement said. "Tyler has, and always will be, an important part of the Angels Family. Our thoughts and prayers are with his entire family during this devastating time."

The Angels' game against the Texas Rangers scheduled for Monday was postponed.

Skaggs last pitched Saturday, going five innings at home against Oakland. He had gone 7-7 this year in 15 starts, recording a 4.29 ERA with 78 strikeouts in 79 2/3 innings.

A Los Angeles-area native, Skaggs was born in Woodland Hills and went to high school in Santa Monica. The Angels drafted him with the 40th pick in the first round in the 2009 draft.

He was traded to the Diamondbacks in August 2010 and made his major league debut two years later. Arizona traded him back to the Angels after the 2013 season.

Skaggs' death comes 10 years after another Angels pitcher, Nick Adenhart, died in a car crash in April 2009.

3. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

So sad. RIP and thoughts and prayers to his family. I guess they will release more details at a more appropriate time.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Utterly shocking. RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.

Nook likes this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

Wow that's crazy. I'm 28. Really weird to think of a 27 year old just dropping dead. (If it's a medical thing).

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Forget talent, so sad someone so young losses their life.

Prayers to his friends and family. He was recently married too.

clos4life, King1, Theking and 2 others like this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Awful.

Was found unresponsive in his hotel room this afternoon.

8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Sounds like Darryl Kile and Pimp C.

Nook likes this.
  9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a congenital heart defect

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Jesus, he just pitched the day before yesterday. Tragic.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Absolutely terrible thing to hear about and have happen to the Angels today. Such a young kid to pass like that.

On a side note...Am I a bad person for being bothered by this statement from Jon Daniels, though?

"Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told media that he had only discussed the postponement of Monday's game with MLB, but he would be open to talking if the league feels more should be done."

All we asked for 2 years ago was the same level of caring.

raining threes likes this.
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

It's Dallas, what do you expect?

raining threes likes this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Well, somebody tragically and unexpectedly died. They did show respect for the tragedy of Harvey itself and donated money IIRC, but swapping stadiums is not a life or death situation.
    Still, I'm very unhappy about not swapping series, come on, it's simple, an even exchange, and the Rangers basically conceded they were out of the playoff race when they traded Darvish. "Home" games away from home are not home games. IDC about "batting in the bottom of the inning", being the home team is about playing in YOUR stadium in front of YOUR fans. They, obviously did handle the situation wrong, and I believe it is totally classless to claim an entire state when there is another team (or teams) in your state as well (also looking at you, Warriors).

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I can’t even read stories like this. :(

15. PhiSlammaJamma

It hard to even speculate on what happened. Sounds like suicide is out. Sounds like overdose is out. Sounds like murder is out. So that just leaves medical for the most part. Yet he was likely receiving some of the best medical oversight one can get. Probably not flight related since he has flown several times with no travel stress. If it was a spider that would likely be evident. Think if he choked on food they would have seen the meal. Just strange.

Houstunna likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

worst thing is he just got married too

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The worst thing is if he had no kids. Children continue your name and legacy -- God willing they're healthy enough to do so. There's no doubt his close family will be taken care of financially at least on an above-average level compared to others. All the mother has to do is not have worse than below-average intelligence (aka: not f*** it up).

18. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Autopsy results are in. Fentanyl, oxycotin, and alcohol led to him choking to death on his own vomit. With all the travelling and pressure to perform at a high level its a wonder more athletes have not fallen victim to this in order to get a good nights sleep. His family is hiring an attorney to find out who provided him the drugs. Sad situation for all involved.

19. Buck Turgidson

The police are investigating how he got them and the Angels are cooperating. If it was from an Angels employee, as was mentioned as a possibility....*that's* why they hired Rusty Hardin.

You don't take fentanyl and oxy to get a good night sleep.

T for 3 and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I know that oxy does not work for me. I had an oral surgeon prescribe me some after an implant procedure. Instead of a good night sleep it made me jittery. I guess it is supposed to be a pain medication as others such as Rush Limbaugh have became addicted to them. I have a brother in law suffering from Parkinson's. When he found out I had a bottle of them going to waste he quickly procured them from me. At the time I thought I was doing him a favor but if I had to do it all over again I would have thrown them away as I found out later he has issues with relying on them do deal with his pain.

I don't know why anyone would combine opioids and alcohol. I guess I assumed they did it to shut there mind down so they good rest properly and get a good nights sleep. Enlighten me. Why would a rational person combine them?