1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mitch Lawrence NAILS it on Pippen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, May 21, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

<a href="http://www.nydailynews.com/today/Metro_Sports/Basketball/a-67399.asp">New York Daily News: Lakers gang up on Scottie</a>

Read the whole thing.... but check out this excerpt:

As recently as last season, Pippen didn't want to try to step into a leadership role. In Houston, he was brought in to complement Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley. But when it became obvious that Olajuwon was too far on the downside, and that Barkley was physically limited, Pippen saw that the Rockets were going to look to him to be the leader.

So he did what he always does: He bailed on his team.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Great article!
    But also check out the following quote :

"Phil knows what Scottie brings to a team," Lakers reserve John Salley said. "He had Michael for a certain amount of years. But he also had Scottie when Michael wasn't there. He knows his downfalls. Phil made Scottie what he is, to be truthful. When I played in Detroit against Scottie, we knew that's who you went after. He didn't have the mental strength."

------------------
    ?

3. JCBlazersGirl33

Hmm, interesting article, but how about you read something from someone who sees him on a daily and hourly basis:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/blazers/playoffs/index.ssf?/sports/00/04/sp042824.frame

This is from one of his BIGGEST critics, an unbiased article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/dave_dalessandro/20000516.html

And finally, my fave:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/blazers/playoffs/index.ssf?/sports/00/05/sp051714.frame

"He DIDN'T have the mental strength."
    Past tense [​IMG].

------------------
    It's an absolute warzone in my house; I live with Rocket fans, Knick fans, and Laker fans.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Regarding your statement about taking it from someone who sees him play regularly, umm... how about Phil Jackson's comment and intentions in the following quote :

"I personally think that if Scottie doesn't lead this basketball team and take this team by the horns, they're not gonna get by us," Jackson said last Wednesday. "He's going to have to be the one to bring them by us. I don't know who else can lead them. I don't see another leader on that basketball club that can get things done at critical times."

It was an obvious, calculated move by Jackson, who knows how Pippen's mind works better than Pippen. Here's Jackson's intent: Put the entire burden on Pippen, stand back and watch him melt.

"He's just trying to get into my head," Pippen said.

Or is that past tense, too? Or didn't Phil see enough of Pippen? LOL!

------------------
    ?

5. Carlos Rogers

Carlos Rogers Member

How can you like the Blazers......or Scottie Quitten in that state of mind.......JC why come to Clutchcity.net now that Pippen is gone........to see all the **** we say about how Pipsqueak is gutless as the beef I ate last night. Any way to the point......while you like the Blazers you are not welcome. Start dissin Pippen and cheering Francis as he dunks on Scottie's sorry ass!!!!!

------------------
    Walt the Wizard Williams. "The aging Terrapin from Maryland"

6. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Man, where are these PipTrolls coming from?

JCBlazersGirl33- Someone who saw him on an hourly and daily basis? How about Rocket fans? We've seen him play quite a bit, thanks. I know I eagerly read every article trumpeting his arrival, and every article praising his play during the season. I've read lots and lots about Scottie Pippen.

Here are some choice quotes from your favorite articles:

Chuck Culpepper:

"He could remain a terrific player without a singular individual moment. He could live with that."

"His new city waited. Waited to go nuts over a team guy who never seemed to burn to be the guy, even if he does lead this team."

Dave D'alessandro:

"but he seemed as comfortable with a leadership role that year as Jordan seemed hitting curveballs."

"The Blazers, one through 10, are the most talented team in the league, and the absence of that pressure to put up All-Star numbers seems to agree with him."

Damon Stoudamire:

"He doesn't mind sitting on the back burner, and maybe that's why he wasn't spectacular all through the season."

"I hear people talking about him not being the same Scottie as he was in Chicago. Hey, he doesn't profess to be the same Scottie, either. He is 34 and he does not have quite the same physical skills he did six or eight years ago."

"The things he has been able to do, it's been amazing. A lot of people were expecting this from the beginning, but that is not really Scottie's nature."

"People don't understand. They want him to be this vocal leader, a guy who comes out and is assertive offensively every night, but that's not Scottie's game."

"For a guy who has accomplished so much, he could have come in like a big shot and stepped on toes and said, "I'm going to run this show." But he tried to fit in. He just wants to be one of the guys."

And this is all about the new Scottie? Same old stuff to me. Nothing "past tense" here. We are supposed to be impressed because he has become a "leader" despite not being the go-to guy nor wanting to be? Please don't refer to his 3pter vs. the Jazz as the final proof that he is The Man. (Thank you for those articles, though, they're just what I needed to get my point across.) Pippen is no more The Man for Portland than Chris Childs is for NY by draining a late three. In fact, it reflects exactly why he is not The Man. Russell slacked off Pip because he was afraid of a pass to the superior Portland interior. Pippen was doing what he always did best: feeding off the dominance of his teammates. Congratuf*ckinglations.

Pippen is an excellent addition to the Portland team. Complements your players well. In fact, he'd be an excellent fit in the Lakers, too. In either scenario, he will never have to worry about being the go-to guy. If you want, I can dig up a quote from Dunleavy himself saying Scottie is not a go-to guy.

But what do you care, if he helps you win? What's all this fuss about whether or not he is the same Scottie of old, or whether or not he can take over a game.

I care, because you are trolling on a Rockets BBS. And Rocket fans, we have this thing about Scottie Pippen.

Scottie Pippen was not signed to the maximum contract available to any player under the new CBA by coincidence. He wanted his payday. He wanted the big bucks and recognition that come with being The Man. Thing is, Scottie was not, is not, never will be The Man. And please don't wax poetic on me with all that drivel about how he is glue to the team, all the things he does don't show up on the stat sheets, etc. I've read every bit as much of it as you have last season, or more, I guarantee. Scottie was brought in to take over, to signal a new era in Rocketball. Getting away from purely inside-outside ball, incorporating more movement and open-court possibilities. Frankly, his opportunities last season were not that different from the ones he sees now with Smith, Rasheed, Grant, and Sabonis in the post. Not surprisingly, pretty similar stats to last year also. And yet, Rocket fans hate him while Portland loves him. Why?

Becuase you can't give the ball to him in the 4th and say, take over the game as the main offensive focal point. Every journalist and coach out there will agree on this point.
    He flusters, flounders, sputters, spurts and wilts. And when he's done, he'll blame someone else for it. In the Lakers series last year, he turned over the damn ball in the final minute off his own damn foot when we had the lead and all we had to do was run the clock. After the game, he blamed Barkley for fouling Shaq too soon. Class.

Pippen wanted the star treatment, the star contract, and status as The Man. We Rocket fans rolled out the red carpet for him. He failed. Big time. The fact that he is an All Star Facilitator, not a Franchise Leading Gamewinner, was deadly apparent. He could have sucked up and tried to make up for the season which was supposedly an abberation. The offense has certainly changed, albeit without him. There's no telling what kind of havok the Rockets would have caused with Pippen, Anderson, Mobley and Francis, but we'll never know. Instead of proving he could do better, instead of showing the world he really could be The Man, he fled. Like a coward. I know in your rosy lenses he just wanted to be in a better winning situation, but it is no coincidence that your "situation" in Portland or in LA would cover up that he is the league's greatest and highest paid role-player.

When training camp was coming up, and he was desperate to get to LA, he turned on Barkley, the man who took the minimum wage to ensure that Scottie could get his big payday.

Now Scottie is still putting up the same stats in fewer minutes, but is being praised for his rebirth. I'd have to say he has found a unique, perhaps ideal situation: he can use his experience and game knowledge to be a "leader", while at the same time never have to worry about being the main offensive threat, ever. Congratulations, Portland, you are a perfect fit, especially since Paul Allen won't mind paying $15 million for a role player.

You know, I love Steve Francis, but I'm just not going to bother trolling on Grizz boards to convince them how Steve's okay. What Steve did really wasn't okay. But he's a Rocket now, I'm a Rocket fan, Steve will be one of the greatest PG's in the league soon, we're going to win a lot of games because of him, he's a mature team player who gets along great with the other guys, and how he started out in Vancouver just doesn't matter to me.

Scottie is helping you win. You like him. Hooray. Scottie betrayed us. It's that simple.

7. Carlos Rogers

Carlos Rogers Member

Oh but of course Damon has seen way more of Pippen then Phil. He has been with him for one season........so had Charles Barkley, Hakeem, Cuttino, Matt, Bryce and Rudy. Scottie is nothin but a scab......he scabbed of Jordan, tryed to scab of Houston and now he is scabbing from the bin (Portland).

------------------
    Walt the Wizard Williams. "The aging Terrapin from Maryland"

8. JCBlazersGirl33

"JC why come to Clutchcity.net now that Pippen is gone........to see all the **** we say about how Pipsqueak is gutless as the beef I ate last night." The only thing that prompted me to come here this year is because ROCKET FANS came to the BLAZER board. My rocket fan friend told me about this board. It was Rocket fans in the begginning of the season who were spamming OUR board.....Blazer fans weren't spamming ROCKET boards(and they're still there with the Flaker fans). What's the matter? You can't handle another perspective? You have your opinion....fine.....but so do I. That's what a forum is for, and it would be quite a monotonouse world should everyone have the same opinion.

"Piptroll"? What are only Rocket fans allowed on this forum? Where do you come off calling me "gutless"? I asked Clutch in an e-mail if it was ok to discuss things with Rocket fans on the board and he said ok. What's the big deal? I don't just hang out in Blazer forums. Hey, I only have one other friend at school whose a blazer fan ; everyone else is a Knicks, Lakers, (and 1) Rocket fan and we always have great good hearted debates.

Nolen: Did you read on? You know, about the part where he took and made the shot that eliminated the Spazz?

Chuck Culpepper:

This one ball swished.

Seven-point-three seconds to go.

~The wait was over at THAT point.That is when his new city went nuts.

You see it one way, i see it another. No biggie. Not only is he looking for assists and points and forcing turnovers, he's constantly talking to his teammates and directing them, as well as helping Dunleavy draw up plays. He's the only one who bothers to get up in Wallace's face. Dunleavy, Whitsitt, and teammates have only been singing praises, especially since the playoffs have started. I've been seeing this all year from him(except for the new offensive drive), and I've also come to this forum once in a while simply because I like Mobley and Francis's games.

You can look through the aricle and find quotes that support your opinion, but so can I. About Phil--well he's been making those kinds of comments ever since the Blazers and Lakers knew for sure they were to square off. He IS trying to get in their heads. He wants all the Blazer players(other than Pip) to break off the team concept and prove to him and the wolrd that they can be leaders too. Jackass's attempts at mental wars that's all.

"You know, I love Steve Francis, but I'm just not going to bother trolling on Grizz boards to convince them how Steve's okay."
    Well, that's your perogative. Like I said, A LOT of rocket fans bothered to come to Oregon Live to spam the Blazer board to convince us that Pip was NOT ok.
    It's all good, though...

------------------
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated."

------------------
    It's an absolute warzone in my house; I live with Rocket fans, Knick fans, and Laker fans.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL! That was funny. Thanks for the laugh. However, being the one who runs the Rockets board and did at that time, I can tell you that is absolutely false.

PS. Dod -- hilarious quote on Pippen.... I can't believe Salley, a major scrub and ex-teammate of Pippen's would say that.... wonder what he would have said had the Lakers acquired Pippen.

Nonetheless, what he said... it's true. So true.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The Blazers will go down in flames in 4 games to the Fakers, then we won't have to listen to this garbage. [​IMG]

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

11. JCBlazersGirl33

"Originally posted by JCBlazersGirl33:
    It was Rocket fans in the begginning of the season who were spamming OUR board.....Blazer fans weren't spamming ROCKET boards
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL! That was funny. Thanks for the laugh. However, being the one who runs the Rockets board and did at that time, I can tell you that is absolutely false"

It IS true that the Blazer board was being spammed once Pippen was acquired. I'm sorry if there were a few immature blazer fans who came here and spammed in RESPONSE. But i highly doubt there were fans who posted the kind of things the rocket fans posted. You want to know what kind of things were posted by Rocket fans(and they were reffering to some place called Clutchcity)?

Rocket fans were spamming the Blazer Board with these vicious death threats to Pippen, Pippen's family, discussing shootings and bonfires(shameful references to the Texas A&M fire).

There was also a guy called "Tex34" or something that said he was going to give Pippen a tour of houston from the end of a rope at the back of his truck; that, as well as references to other racial crimes, got i think our forum adms.'s attention.

Ever heard of a fruit called "Halo"? He was blaming US for him getting kicked off a Rocket board, and we'd never even heard of him. [​IMG] ?

Clutch, I just want an honest response: Did Grizzly fans came on this board making death threats and racial comments to Steve Francis?
    What Blazer fans did on this board couldn't have been as bad as that. They went overboard so don't be under the misconception that Blazer fans came here unprovoked. I didn't come right now for that reason. I understand you guys hated Pippen for what he said about Barkley and for trying to reunite with Phil Jacks-His-Son. That's none of my business. I was just expressing my opposing opinion. So please don't take your hatred for Pippen out on me [​IMG]

------------------

12. JCBlazersGirl33

Garbage, Bobfinn? Other peoples' opinions are garbage? [​IMG] Look, i value other fans' opinions. You don't have to value mine, just show some basic respect. And besides, I like talking more when the blazers LOSE. There's really nothing much to talk about when you're winning. [​IMG]

------------------

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Uh JCBlazersGirl....

Your board is the absolute worst in the business. Sorry, it is. Go to it.... it's nothing but a nest of trolls, spams and floods ... it's very hard to find any good conversations and anything goes over there.

What you're saying, and looking quite immature doing it, is:

Rockets Fans BAD, Blazers Fans, GOOD

Give it a rest... there are idiotic fans for all teams. I wasn't saying Rockets fans weren't posting stuff on that board -- I was saying your painted picture of innocent, knowledgeable fans in Portland above such actions was flat ass wrong.... I know because I saw many of them attempt to attack this board. We adminster the board because unlike the Oregonian's board, we like to keep it relatively clean here.

And who's to say who did it first? Please. We were getting attacked by Blazer fans while there were just rumors of Scottie being traded there.

Yes, you're welcome to post here.... you have your strong opinions on Pippen and we have ours. But if you're just here to label Rocket fans racist and underground scum, then skip it -- and I said that in the email too.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

14. JCBlazersGirl33

"But if you're just here to label Rocket fans racist and underground scum, then skip it "

Where did i say that? Taht is an outragious geralization to make and i would never make it. Just take a look at my signiture, i LIVE with a Rocket fan. I KNOW that there are jackass fans from both sides. I'm just trying to prove to you that it wan't only Blazer fans who did that stuff. Whatsmore, you didn't say anything to the guys who labeled me as a "troll" and said my opinion was "garbage".

------------------

15. JCBlazersGirl33

*woops, i meant generalization

------------------

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You stated your opinion, we stated ours, thats it. Why rehash it over and over. It seems to me you are just looking for an argument. Plain and simple. We all respect each others opinions in here, but we don't respect someone who just waltz's in here like they own the joint. Don't throw stones in glass houses, if you know what that means.

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited May 22, 2000).]

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

BlazerGirl

Why are you here? To banter and preach until every here sees you have a head on your shoulders...then we shake hands and agree that some people suck in life and some don't.

Wow...we all learn something.

well "Isn't that Special."

whatever. You can go away now!

18. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

JC33-
    First of all, with that user name, you're just asking for trouble. One would be inclined to think that if your intentions were good in coming here, that you would at least be smart enough (or at least respectful enough to us) to leave the 33 out of your name. Karl Malone and Pippen are pretty much the most hated players by Rocket fans.

As for the Blazers, hell, I like the Blazers. I think most of us here do. We hate Pippen and we want him to lose. Too bad that that means Portland has to lose as well. I for one would be cheering my ass off for Portland to beat LA. Too bad Quitten is on your team. Now, I want LA to win and for Pip to have some terrible, horrible career ending injury to boot.

There is nothing wrong with liking the Blazers. I don't think anyone in Houston really hates them as a team. Not like we hate the Jazz as a team, anyway. We just hate the cry-baby you keep defending. To come here praising that weak-minded b**** will only serve to piss of a lot of people.

As for the 'who started the spamming/flaming war,' that is moot. No one can prove who started it. All I know is what I've seen: Jazz fans and Blazer (Pippen) fans posting all kinds of profanity and unmentionable things on this BBS.

As for the poster on the Blazer board mentioning Clutch City, was he mentioning Clutch City as in Houston's nickname or did he mention ClutchCity.net? There is a difference: Houston has been called Clutch City since 1994. This site was named for the city's nickname, not the other way around.

BTW, yes. You are a troll. Coming here for the sole purpose of defending Scottie Pippen and talking about the Blazers means you are trolling our site.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

19. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

how many times do we have to say it

"ROLE PLAYER"

nothing more nothing less....if it quacks, has webbed feet and a bill..it must be a duck..

he is what he is...

leave her alone she is still blind to the obvious like we were..give time.. the meltdown will come and he'll be the one running to momma jackson....

------------------

20. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I think the 'JC' stands for Jerking our Chains.