1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Mar 22, 2015.

1. bigben69

bigben69 Member

It is not really a Fanboy thing with this one I don't think....he IS this franchise....its not like this is the first one......what actor would be willing to put themselves through the stunts and everything that he does for these movies and be a good actor on top of that? Maybe Stallone!

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I thought GP was the better movie, but I think some of the individual scenes in RN outclass invididual scenes in GP, if that makes sense.

A sixth movie is already in production, apparently. I'm a bit stale on Renner; I wonder who'll be cast for 6. Also, M:I 6? Lol master plan is to boost UK's ticket sales.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

You said good actor. So that rules out stalone.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Pretty much just PG13 level violence so I'd say yes.

I think I can go either way on Renner. He's a good actor, but I probably wouldn't miss him if he left. Simon Pegg on the other hand...

Overall I think Ghost Protocol is probably the best of the series while III might be my favorite, just because it showed a more personal side of Cruise's character. Everything in Rogue Nation is executed perfectly. It's only flaw is that a lot of the things in the film have been done before in some variation.

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I didn't say that you've insulted anyone. I'm not insulted. I haven't even seen the movie yet. You stated an opinion and I wondered why, with that opinion, you would've even stepped foot in the theater? Did you think they were suddenly going to put the Ethan Hunt character on the back burner for this chapter?

It's like going to see 5th XMen movie and complaining that they should've cast someone else as Wolverine. I mean... seriously... have you seen the other 4 movies?

6. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Stallone is just misunderstood......Literally, it is hard to understand what he says sometimes. Really though...obviously no one would really suggest him. He hasn't had to actually act since Cop Land.

7. AB423

AB423 Member

Movie sucked.. probably the worst one out of the whole series. Ethan Hunt didnt even get to bang the hot girl.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, I liked it just fine, but it was a bit plain, sort of by the numbers for the genre. It was just *really* well-done paint by the numbers, and this one was more plot based than it was reliant on huge action set pieces. Rebecca Ferguson was really the star of the movie, in terms of stealing her scenes, easily, and also dominating the category of kicking ass.

I liked the hissing bad guy more than most critics seem to.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I liked. The motorcycle chase was hot. The humor good. giving it a B+. I enjoyed MI3 a little more due to the villian being a little bit more interesting of a bad ass.v. But both solid movies and cast well.

I think that when Ethan came back to after the water, he should have been like "That was nothing. been there and done that before." And then the hot girl could have been like "whaaaat".

Tom Cruise has delivered his entire career. He's stone cold solid action heroro.

But did they explain where his wife was? Didn't he retire in III to be with hher?

Overall good fun.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Definitely one of the better movies this summer. 9/10.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Best to worst:

I
    III
    IV Ghost Protocol
    V Rogue Nation
    II

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

You forget Ghost Protocol. He agreed to come back to IMF, only on the condition that they fake his wife's death to keep her safe.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Holy Crap! Apparently I have not seen Mission Impossible IV. I have a movie to watch tonight!

14. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

There's really some convoluted explanation for some scenes to happen.

In the scene where Ethan jumps into the cooling system... Instead of having a metal detector security system to detect scuba gear, why not just install bars?

Also, there's no freak'n way any face recognition software would work on that particular drawing of that woman... especially that precisely.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Does Ethan Hunt consistently bang just any random girl in any of the movies?

First movie, probably has a thing for his boss's wife... but deep down realizes she's in on the deception.

Second movie, falls in love... wife material... no casual stuff. (of course, don't really remember much of this movie as it was that bad).

Third movie, is already in love... hell, they're married.

Fourth movie... not even close... turns out he's still secretly married.

Fifth movie... probably has a thing for her... is he secretly married still? doesn't really matter to the plot.

Ethan Hunt is NOT James Bond!

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... I've actually always enjoyed the tech-y espionage stuff in these movies more-so than the over-the-top/death-defying stuff.

In ghost protocol, I thought the nuclear code exchange was great. In MI III, the kidnapping of PHS was on par with any other scene in this series. MI II never happened. And MI I featured the stealing of the list... of course going back to your original point, why not just have a security camera somewhere near the vent/in the room in general?

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Turns out my 10 year old can recite the plot of all the previous versions of MI.
    They really liked it, mostly the motorcycle part.

18. bigben69

bigben69 Member

They have tech that we would never even know about!

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just saw it. Entertaining but fell a bit flat in the last third. The movie felt too linear, as the villain was too easily defeated. Ethan seems too infallible in this one. Every problem he faces, he solves 10 minutes later. I thought that with a new MI series, Tom Cruise would have tougher situations with tougher decisions to make. Like having to choose between capturing the bad guy or the girl or any of his teammate... and they actually have to die.

Btw, when will Renner get real action scenes? It's like:

Tom Cruise = Action superhero
    Scotty = tech guy
    Black guy = other tech guy, but with an attitude
    Hot girl = Hot girl who can fight
    Renner = ???

Is he like the politician of the team that deals with the bureaucracy?

Also I met with the British PM last week and he looked nothing like the movie :)

7/10

20. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

I enjoyed the movie. I did feel like they were trying to throw us off the trail a bit too much.

I was a bit confused as to his relationship with the British spy. In the beginning he asked if they'd met, but later it is implied that she was someone he knew and trusted.

I think I enjoyed the opera scene the most. Nice touch having a tenor sing about no one knowing his name and being victorious while nameless agents fight with the fate of the Austrian chancellor in the background.