1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Missing the playoffs, Steve, Yao and a couple of other things (maybe even new things)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketmike, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Its been a while, and I'm not an acclaimed writer like Doc or Clutch so if my lack of posting experience offends someone then just move onto the next thread.

We won't make the playoffs.

This team doesn't have what it takes to make the playoffs. They haven't learned how to win yet and that is embarrasing. I'm talking about everyone from YAO and Steve to Jim and Marc. Individually there are some players, CAT, Steve, Yao who can win a game, but the sum of the parts can't do it together. I personally think its time to rebuild around Yao. We thought we were going to build around Francis, but it has become clearer and clearer that he's not going to lead us to a championship. I wish him the best and hope that he doesn't have to pull a Gary Payton/Karl Malone to win a championship but I fear he might.

Ok let me state the obvious about steve.

He has to dribble to be effective
    He's athletic
    He can usually shoot around a 35-40% clip
    He can't pass
    He can dunk
    He can't handle a press
    He can get amazing highlights
    He turns the ball over
    He has a low basketball IQ
    He hasn't really improved his game in 5 years
    He hasn't led this team to the playoffs yet.
    He hustles

He has to go. I was as big a fan as anybody until about 2 1/2 years ago. Then I started thinking, man I've screamed the exact same complaints about this guy for 2 years. Its not like he's changed much over his 5 years of play. He has million dollar physical ability with a 10 cent head. That's it. He shoots the ball way too much when he's ice cold. Sure some of his shots come at the end of the shot clock and are rushed, but when you go 3/15 you can't tell me that you took 5 shots because the clock was running down- but even worse, YOU'RE the PG. Its your job to move the ball around so that doesn't happen. I don't know what our plans are this off season, but if we move Francis we have to get either a 1 or a 4 in return. We need a PG who thinks pass first (preferrably to a Rocket this time) and a physical PF who can play D.

Yao hasn't come up big these last three games, and I've only seen one against phoenix, but is he the problem? We're 31-18 when Yao shoots 10+ times and we're 15-6 when he shoots 15+ times. I started to do the math with francis and realized that he's shot more than 10 times in all but 4 games that he's played in, and over 15 times in most of the games as well. When YAO shoots the ball more than 15 times in a game he shoots 53.5%. He can shoot freethrows and hey he's getting an attitude. Wait what was the big knock on him? Not physical enough, Isn't a big enough of a factor? Oh you mean we are actually seeing a HUGE difference one year in? I though we had to wait 6-7 years before we saw a change? Keep him.

I've never been his biggest fan, but now more than ever its time for stevie to go.

In fact I'd tank it this year if I was in charge and try to get higher draft pick. Its not like anybody could accuse us of tanking it... we've done it the last 4 years with nobody coming out and making a fuss.

Lets pray he has a great last 15 or so games of the year and we make the playoffs, or better yet lets pray he looks like a world beater the last 15 games, that it doesn't fool management and that we do miss the playoffs. Then maybe other GM's will overpay for him and we'll have a high draft choice to maybe even pawn off with francis for more value.

BTW.
    Somebody should have "shhhed" steve before that little interview at half time.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This thread gets the A-Train seal of approval

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

You should read Doc Rocket's thread called "well, well, well..." it says basically the same thing. & i do agree w/ some of your statments but some are just off the wall. This topic has been beat to death, i shoulda took your advice and moved on to the next thread, oo well.

shawn

4. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Thanks Atrain

I'm Rocketmike and I approve this message lol...

5. Sane

Sane Member

I would love to hear Steve's answer to:

"What part of your game has improved since you were a rookie?"

Does he do ANYTHING better this season than he did in his first or second season? He does some things more, some things less.. but is he a better shooter? Has his jumper improved? Better rebounder? Better passer? Protect the ball better? Learned how to handle the press? Learned how to pass to a big man consistently (I think he's improved this)?

What has Steve really improved, and why should we expect him to improve?

Steve can lead an Eastern team to a 4th seed, I have no doubt about that. Reasons being: Eastern teams don't have real C's, so he can go to the basket all day, clear path. The East sucks. He has the talent, and can lead a team as long as there is one solid passer, one solid rebounder, and one solid shooter on his team.

Personally, I think we will make the playoffs. But personally, I believe we could've made the playoffs with a whole lot of PG's, MANY of which make FAR less than 11M.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rocketmike,

Nothing wrong with you post. Just that the Doc Rocket (well, well, well. . .) thread is talking about the same thing. It would have been better if you chipped in there rather than starting a new thread.

7. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

While our play has been pretty bad lately, I just feel that we'll probably get in the playoffs anyway. Our cushion is pretty big for the number of games remaining, and we can probably make it if we only win 5 more games. Unfortunately, the rockets probably feel the same way, and that's why they're playing like crap.

8. Remix

Remix Member

We will make the playoffs, everyone that dosent think so stop kidding yourselfs.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

funny you can post nearly the exact same SF bashing
    thread 3 times a day and it will get a million hits

but do two threads not bashing anyone but very similar
    and folx jump down your throat about bandwidth

carry on . .
    nothing new to see here

Rocket River

10. jjfjj

jjfjj Member

You made a mistake many people make when it comes to analyzing the stats:

Yao gets more shots when he shoots well, not the other way around.

Problem is he's still not playing consistently.

11. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

We can argue which comes first the chicken or the egg all day. I mean does Yao shoot better when he gets more shots because he's involved in the offense? Because he's making the opponent work more? Because he gets in a rythm? Or does he get more shots when he shoots well because his teammates pass to him because they trust him?

I don't know how to look it up but it would be interesing to see a by quarter break down of those games. Then we could kind of tell wether they were late early or even.

As far as consistancy his good streaks are becoming longer and his bad streaks becoming shorter. Isn't that' what we're asking for?

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

So maybe Steve's had a poor year.

And it's disappointing that he's still making some of the same errors he has made since he was a rookie.

And it's frustrating that this team SHOULD BE BETTER....

But will y'all quit with the 'we won't make the playoffs' bit?? Look at the standings and do the math. Two of Utah, Portland and Denver are going to pass the Rockets??? You're not only the worlds most pessimistic Rocket's fans, you're also the most optimistic Blazers, Nuggs or (ewwwww) Jazz fans?

I know it's mathematically conceivable -- but it ain't gonna happen. I'll gladly pledge $100 to the tip jar if i'm wrong, and the Rockets are passed by two of those aforementioned powerhouses -- if the naysayers will pledge $25 if they are wrong, and there's playoff ball at the TC this April.

Carry on.

13. ths balla

ths balla Member

how much you wanna bet that we will make the playoffs?;)

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah, this is a sucker bet.

I will differ from my usual tactic of making signature bets and also offer 100 bucks up for the tipjar that the Rockets will make the playoffs.
    vs. 25 bucks from any takers who say that they won't.

Any takers? A Train? Rocketmike? other gloom&doomers? Who wants

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

takers? don't u mean tankers

rocket river

16. birat

birat Member

i say, Rox will make it to the playoffs...

BY PURE LUCK